E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Click sound when braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4matic
Click sound when braking

So it was bound to happen...I hit a big ol' pothole a couple of weeks ago where I thought my car was going to just fall apart on the spot. But it didn't, the car is still in one piece and I haven't noticed any issues like pulling, alignment problems and wheel balance issues. In fact the car drives just as well as it before hitting the pothole.

Except that...since then when I brake I hear a click coming from the driver's side front wheel area. Kind of sounds like maybe a bushing got damaged or something became slightly loose.

It doesn't sound like a bearing issue. It does not happen when turning, accelerating or otherwise driving. Only when I hit the brake after the car has been standing still like when parked overnight, or parked during the day when I'm at work. Then through the rest of my commute, not a sound.

I know the best thing is to put the car up on a lift and take a look but I just haven't the time with being busy with work and school.

Any thoughts on what could have been damaged? Could it be the ball joint? It doesn't seem like anything was broken but something was definitely damaged.

Thanks as usual in advance for your thoughts and advice.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
If it was that bad a hole , I would take the car to your favorite alignment shop and have them give the front end a good going over--Ouch!!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E320 2004 model Silver sedan
i had a similar problem and found out that my breaks needed adjustment. however my clicking sound was on my rear wheel.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
IF the clicking is front wheel and when braking it won't be a suspension part but you might have broken a race on the wheel bearing or cracked a roller. If this did happen check it asap as a failure of this type might cause the wheel to come off the car.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by dewana421
i had a similar problem and found out that my breaks needed adjustment. however my clicking sound was on my rear wheel.
That's amazing---who told you to adjust your brakes and I would love to know how you would do that!! What did I miss or are you talking about your rear parking
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4matic
I've had my tires replaced since I originally posted about the issue and asked the tech to give the suspension a once over.

I don't think I've heard a peep (other than my brakes) since then. The car drives fine (jinx). Better actually since I got new tires. No vibration or shimmy anywhere that I can tell and I've taken it past the speed limit a couple of times.

I'm due for an inspection soon so I'll have them take another look but otherwise haven't had the issue again.