E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 serious align. issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 serious align. issues

Has anyone else had an alignment/drifting to right and/or left problem with 03 E500? We're on our 3rd set of tires (according to MF rep it's a tire problem), however, there's still a problem. This car is a drag to drive! It's a constant movement of the steering wheel to keep the car straight. It's just not right. My Nissan Murano performs better ... at half the price!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
There is a service memo on this. It involves a "camber extension bolt kit". I don't have the number of the memo, but maybe someone can post it.

I am pretty sure you could find the thread if you searched the forum under "pulls to the right". There has been a lot posted.

At least you are getting new tires:p What tires are you running? Have they replaced them with the same tires each time?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:36 PM

Actually, before replacing the tires, they installed the "camber bolt kit" (after I complained the day after I picked up the car that it pulled to the right.) Because that didn't help, they replaced the factory Continentals with Michelin Sport Pilots(?). I don't know that they were thinking, I do not have the sport model. Those tires made the car drive like a truck. Now I have Michelin Sport All Season tires. THe ride is a little smoother but it still pulls to the right. This car has less than 6,000 miles, and I've taken it back for service 7 times!!! I also had to have a "gateway module" replaced. They even had me test drive and compare another new 03 model like mine. It drove significantly better than mine. But it all fell on deaf ears!
Old 08-13-2003, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by suzieq
Actually, before replacing the tires, they installed the "camber bolt kit" (after I complained the day after I picked up the car that it pulled to the right.) Because that didn't help, they replaced the factory Continentals with Michelin Sport Pilots(?). I don't know that they were thinking, I do not have the sport model. Those tires made the car drive like a truck. Now I have Michelin Sport All Season tires. THe ride is a little smoother but it still pulls to the right. This car has less than 6,000 miles, and I've taken it back for service 7 times!!! I also had to have a "gateway module" replaced. They even had me test drive and compare another new 03 model like mine. It drove significantly better than mine. But it all fell on deaf ears!

sorry about all of your problems, i would call a regional rep or whatever they are called and ask him the best solution, or do to a different dealer and see what they do.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 CLS 550
3 sets of tires??? Is that possible on an 03? Definitely not the much discussed alignment issue.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:29 PM

2003 E500
Other people here have experienced problems like yours which apparently were attributable to the tires. If I read your post correctly, you did not have the pulling with the Michelin Pilot Sports, although perhaps you were too preoccupied with the fact that it drove like a truck to notice. [This is somewhat unusual; I don't recall anyone having problems with this particular tire. Was the Airmatic set to Sport I or II? That would have made the ride rougher.] Then, when you had Pilot Sport A/Ss put on, it again pulled to the right. Not long ago STKLAW wrote about the same problem with these tires, and a number of people suggested that this was a known problem. I don't remember what the outcome was for him.

So you could try yet another set of tires. I've been very happy with Bridgestone SO3s; it seems everybody here, almost, has his own favorite tire. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that there is not some underlying problem with the car.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:13 AM

e500
yea, i get that drifting to the right thing too. i turn my wheel to the left and then drive straight, and then it turns itself to the right. bringing it in the shop tomrorow again, for sos malfunction, electric consumer malfunction, drifting to the right, esp not available, and unable to establish audio connection something. o boy....
Old 08-14-2003, 11:07 AM

W211 & Q7
make sure that your tire pressure is correct.
(the front tires and rear tires have different tire pressure)
Old 08-14-2003, 01:36 PM

2010 E550
I am having pulling to the right problems as mentioned. I have Pilot Sport A/S. The dealer ordered 2 tires to replace the front tires last week. But when they were delivered they found that the wrong tire was sent. They sent Pilot Sport non-A/S. They have me the car back with the non-A/S's on the front and I am going in tomorrow to get the new A/S's for the front. I must say that with the non-A/S's on the front it does not pull to the right. But I think the A/S's ride a little smoother and quieter. So rather than have a pull to the right if they can't get the new A/S's to go straight I will just ask them to put non A/S's all the way around.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:40 PM

2010 E550
Question

Has there been anyone that has said that they have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and that they DO NOT have a problem with pulling to the right?