E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Loss of Drive whilst car in 'D' and at 70km/h

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:02 PM

Loss of Drive whilst car in 'D' and at 70km/h

Hi
I am wondering if someone has had this problem or can point me in the right direction please.
I was driving and when the car hit 70km/h the rev's continued to rise and I lost the 'drive' - forward momentum of the car felt like the car shifted in to neutral as i was driving it... and the warning triangle flashed on and off.
I pulled over and then waited and then tried again and as soon as i got to about 70km/h it did it again - lost momentum (drive) and started to coast but i could still rev the engine even though the car was still in Drive.

I decided to switch the car off and on again and return home but it did not do it again.....
Would take it to the mechanic but not if i cannot replicate it and the car shifts raelly nicely throughout all the gears i.e. first to five and reverse.
Car is a 2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon 4Matic with 181000km.
Any information would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2013 | 08:42 PM

2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Red face Some suggestions...

1) You don't necessarily have to be able to replicate the problem while at the dealer's or Indie. Describe what's happening and ask them to pull the codes.
2) If no codes, and especially if you've never done any maintenance on the transmission, have the fluid and filter changed. A full flush would be nice. Make sure the level is checked first, at operating temperature, so you know if it was low in the first place. Low fluid is a common cause of weird behavior (jerkiness), especially at very low speeds.
3) Have the transmission electrical connector plug replaced at the time of the maintenance if it still has the original. They are cheap to buy (USD$6 or so) and the old part # ones leak.
4) If there is a real problem with codes showing, it may be
a) a conductore plate or
b) leaking transmission (look underneath and also up front at the radiator/transmission cooler) or
c) any of many other causes

Remember that your check-engine light is mostly about emissions and won't come on for every problem that results in a code being stored.

Finally, it may have nothing much to do with the transmission itself being naughty. If you have a speed or other sensor that has gone bad, it may be that the transmission controller is getting bad data.

Good luck.