E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New Windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB E500
New Windshield

Ever since I got my replacement car in July, I've noticed a distortion in the windshield. It's a blurred spot about half way up right in front of the driver's seat of course. I've wash it and no luck. I can't see anything wrong with the glass. When I took the car in for an alignment this week (BTW it still drifts to the right!) I had them check it out and sure enough they said the glass was "really messed up" and it would have to be replaced. Of course they had to order the new glass. Today I found out it is on back order. Could be a couple of weeks to get another one. I asked them to check with other dealers in the area which they agreed to do. They said they have never had a windshiled like this before. Just my luck. I also had the audio go out today and once yesterday. It was like it was muted, CD still paying but no sound. It has since come back on so I have another appointment on Monday and will mention all the fixes discussed on this site.

I was afraid I was getting rid of a problem free car and may be getting one with more issues when I got my replacement. So far my fears are coming true!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: New Windshield

Originally posted by rayscar
Ever since I got my replacement car in July, I've noticed a distortion in the windshield. It's a blurred spot about half way up right in front of the driver's seat of course. I've wash it and no luck. I can't see anything wrong with the glass. When I took the car in for an alignment this week (BTW it still drifts to the right!) I had them check it out and sure enough they said the glass was "really messed up" and it would have to be replaced. Of course they had to order the new glass. Today I found out it is on back order. Could be a couple of weeks to get another one. I asked them to check with other dealers in the area which they agreed to do. They said they have never had a windshiled like this before. Just my luck. I also had the audio go out today and once yesterday. It was like it was muted, CD still paying but no sound. It has since come back on so I have another appointment on Monday and will mention all the fixes discussed on this site.

I was afraid I was getting rid of a problem free car and may be getting one with more issues when I got my replacement. So far my fears are coming true!
wow, thats wierd, i have never heard or seen that before. are you willing to take pics? hope they fix your audio, and glass problem quickly, i was also scared that we would have problems, i set up tele-aid at my house yesterday, and sometimes we get a tele-aid not activated sign, then it goes away
Old 08-15-2003, 09:07 PM

2003 MB E500
Re: Re: New Windshield

Originally posted by bmms8
wow, thats wierd, i have never heard or seen that before. are you willing to take pics? hope they fix your audio, and glass problem quickly, i was also scared that we would have problems, i set up tele-aid at my house yesterday, and sometimes we get a tele-aid not activated sign, then it goes away
I can't take a picture because you can't see anything wrong with the glass itself. The only thing that might work is video but that still probably would show what I'm talking about. You basically have to be in the driver seat to see the problem.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
bmms -- what's the flag on your instrument cluster??
Old 08-15-2003, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by skymast
bmms -- what's the flag on your instrument cluster??
its on the NAV car, im in the garage, and i just hit the "home" button, then it says i have reached my desitnation....and it shows a flag, as if i won or something i thought it was kinda cool, so i just set it as my avatar, and my sig.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:48 PM

one of seven
rayscar - when that windshield does arrive, speak with the service manager and make sure they put their best man or men on it. It's kinda like factory paint - hard to duplicate the quality and fit of the original job. Stay on top of them!!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally posted by mbprince
rayscar - when that windshield does arrive, speak with the service manager and make sure they put their best man or men on it. It's kinda like factory paint - hard to duplicate the quality and fit of the original job. Stay on top of them!!!!
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Not to scare you or anything, but I remember seeing a segment on 60 minutes (or one of those shows) a while back about these auto glass places. Especially the ones that come to you. What a nightmare. They showed video of these replacement windshields that were in an accident and how poorly they acted. They were saying how the factory windshield actually is a structual part of the car, or something like that, and how important it is in an accident. Most of these places did a very negligent job of putting it in. i.e. touching where they shoudln't touch until dry, wrong materials and so on. I never forgot it and would never use one of these places. Better to be patient and get factory glass and let them do it. You wouldn't believe the video from this show
Old 08-16-2003, 12:23 PM

2010 E550
Originally posted by bmms8
its on the NAV car, im in the garage, and i just hit the "home" button, then it says i have reached my desitnation....and it shows a flag, as if i won or something i thought it was kinda cool, so i just set it as my avatar, and my sig.
bmms8,

Did you take pics of your new one? Where are they?
Old 08-16-2003, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by STKLAW
bmms8,

Did you take pics of your new one? Where are they?
actually, im just applyig zaino to it right now done with 2 coats, well, i still need to wipe off the second one, ill get some pics right now.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:52 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by mbprince
Thanks for the advice. I'm been worried about that too. It looks like it will not be an easy thing to do right. I hope it works out okay and soon!