E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E320 Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by cesvbbb
any updates? I'm having the same issue I bought a new battery from advance auto a group size 49 and my battery keeps draining after 5 days .alternator is good .
just notice it the other day i have indicator again for convinient functions not available.. my car starts good.. only getting the malfunction notice.. this is after 12 hours of park. then this morning i got the same notice..

i have not done the test yet for draw drain.. i will check the seat memory and remove the fuse to see if that is the cause..
Old 01-24-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Originally Posted by Benzzin
Take keys out of ignition, then push the radio power button. If the radio comes on then I think it's your audio gateway module. take out fuse #6 in the trunk fusebox and see if your battery dies the next morning. That's what I had to do for awile. But this is just one of the many things that could cause battery drain.
i removed fuse #6 and the radio still powers on, can see the MB logo, then shuts off. Is there another fuse ?
Old 01-25-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Update:

I removed the following fuses from the side dash fuse location:

#F023 Passenger Set Adjustable Memory
#F026 CD Changer
#F028 Radio
#F034 Driver Set Adjustable Memory

I already removed #F006 (Audio Gateway) which is located in the trunk

Last night I before I went to bed the voltage read 12.02 V. This morning 11.98V. Plus, THE CAR STARTED!!!

I was having issues with my radio => https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...2003-e320.html

Removing #F006 (Audio Gateway) caused the radio not to turn on completely, however, the CD changer still had power and when I clicked the power button on the unit, the MB logo would appear briefly then disappear. That got me thinking that the drain could be more than the Audio Gateway. I've already had a seat module causing drain, which was replaced and all went well for a year. It might be the other seat module causing the issue,which is why I disconnected the fuses for both seats as well. Tonight I'll replace one fuse at a time and see what's it's like in the morning..

One a side note... When I remove the neg cable from the battery, and use my amp meter to see if there is any amperage draw, I do not ever get a draw. I'm not sure if I'm not doing something right or there isn't anything draining the battery at that particular time. I set my meter at 10A, connect one lead to the neg battery terminal and one to the cable.. is this correct?
The following users liked this post:
shadowknos (08-24-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
EBC battery

Be aware that there are two batteries, the normal one used to run the car and a second smaller one used to make sure you have electronic brakes in case your normal battery fails.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
exact same problem

Originally Posted by BenzMUL
Hello,
I own a 2003 E320...
I have a draw on the main battery when the car is left off overnight (Car doors will not even open in morning). We got a replacement battery with no success. Alternator tested fine, Diagonostics were run by electrical shock and has 2.2 AMP draw. Car runs absolutely fine after recharged, the only thing i've noticed is that the window functions which allow the window to go up entirely with one click (rather than holding) is disabled.

No mechanics thus far can figure out what specifically is draining the battery.

If anyone has any idea or experience with these issues any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
i have the exact same problem with my 96 E320. the dealer could'nt locate the problem after 7 weeks at the shop
Old 08-24-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
How to find a battey drain

It is not easy but nothing ever is; however, it is simple. When my old E class started draining its battery, I unplugged the battery positive terminal and ran power through an amp meter to the car. There you should read your 2.2 amp draw. It may take a different range as many amp meters don't go above one amp directly and must plug in though a different place to read up to 20 amps.

Anyway, now you see your current draw and you just start pulling fuses until you find the culprit. In my case it was the CD changer on an aftermarket radio (not the radio itself). You may even have to power some things in your search.

You might blow some fuses in the car or the multi-meter so don't let it get you down.

Good luck,
Peter
Old 03-28-2018, 09:29 AM

2003 Mercedes e320
Disconnect battery

Has anyone tried disconnecting the battery when they aren't driving the car or overnight?
Old 03-28-2018, 02:11 PM

2005 E320
I had the same issue with a 2004 ML350, turned out to be the tele-aid module under the passenger seat
Old 03-28-2018, 04:08 PM

E320
Originally Posted by blackhonor9
Has anyone tried disconnecting the battery when they aren't driving the car or overnight?
that seems like a lot of trouble every time you want to start the car in the morning. i would prefer to find the drain if possible. thanks for the suggestion
Old 06-09-2018, 10:55 AM

E320
Radio still comes on when alarm is on and 3 min has pass

I have a w211 03 E320 (ALL OEM) - Battery is new. Battery dies every 12 hours, it’s getting shorter and shorter. Use to be about 24hrs now it’s 12. Started with battery is low for a few months then got worse. I disconnected the battery over night and plug in the morning and car starts. Not sure what the problem is. I did the try the Radio after shutting car off. I turned car off, turned alarm on and waited about 10min. Radio and cd changer still functions. This might be my problem but IDK. Also Radio cuts off sometimes while I’m driving for a long time and won’t cut back on until i shut the car off and restart. Any tips or diagrams to proceed with testing would be helpful. Thanks (will get back to y’all with my solution once I find out what it is.)
Old 06-09-2018, 10:59 AM

E320
I have same problem.

Hello,
I own a 2003 E320...
I have a draw on the main battery when the car is left off overnight (Car doors will not even open in morning). We got a replacement battery with no success. Alternator tested fine, Diagonostics were run by electrical shock and has 2.2 AMP draw. Car runs absolutely fine after recharged, the only thing i've noticed is that the window functions which allow the window to go up entirely with one click (rather than holding) is disabled.

If anyone has any idea or experience with these issues any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

mercedes should really do a recall for this. It seems very common with the w211 e-Class
Old 06-09-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
Mine has a drain, the passenger seat control module.. technician took half a day to figure it out with all benz/wis charts. I just unplug it until I can buy a used one off ebay.

battery drains are a pita to find, have to unplug every fuse, then 1 by 1 plug it wait 2 min so the car shuts every module off and see if there's a drain, then see what goes trough the fuse and check every module behind it.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by ChubbyFlyers

mercedes should really do a recall for this. It seems very common with the w211 e-Class
You think they should do a recall on a 15 year old car?

I've also gone well over a month without driving my W211 on many occasions and have never had an issue with it starting. It's on the original battery too. I'm guessing the Aux battery hasn't been changed either (haven't been bothered to check).

Last edited by Strigoi; 06-10-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:01 PM

E320
UPDATE

F006 (trunk)

This fuse does the amp and cd changer take this out to see if one of them drains the battery. (7.5) F028

Amp and fuses in trunk driver side (F006) That fuse shuts down the whole audio system.

I have a w211 03 E320 (ALL OEM) - Battery is new. Battery dies every 12 hours, it’s getting shorter and shorter. Use to be about 24hrs now it’s 12. Started with battery is low for a few months then got worse. I disconnected the battery over night and plug in the morning and car starts. Not sure what the problem is. I did the try the Radio after shutting car off. I turned car off, turned alarm on and waited about 10min. Radio and cd changer still functions. This might be my problem but IDK. Also Radio cuts off sometimes while I’m driving for a long time and won’t cut back on until i shut the car off and restart. Any tips or diagrams to proceed with testing would be helpful. Thanks (will get back to y’all with my solution once I find out what it is.)
I took out number 6 fuse in trunk and let car sit from 6pm to 1 pm the next day. Car started up no problem; so I’m guessing it’s a problem with one of the “Audio Gate” (Radio, CD Changer, or Amp) I still got a low battery warning. I’m assuming because the battery didn’t fully charge the day before when I had to jump it in the morning. I’m going to see which one is giving the problem and replace it. Willl update when I find out which one is the problem. May be the Radio. IDK 😐
Old 06-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,420 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
I took out number 6 fuse in trunk and let car sit from 6pm to 1 pm the next day. Car started up no problem; so I’m guessing it’s a problem with one of the “Audio Gate” (Radio, CD Changer, or Amp) I still got a low battery warning. I’m assuming because the battery didn’t fully charge the day before when I had to jump it in the morning.
Interior f28 = radio, f26 CD changer; rear SAM (trunk) f6 = AGW (amp). Could be AGW or any component afterward in the MOST ring. We’re talking drain rather than malfunction nevertheless, troubleshoot video (COMAND is depicted same procedure for Audio 50) still applies:

Old 06-11-2018, 11:22 AM

E320
UPDATE 2

I took out number 6 fuse in trunk and let car sit from 6pm to 1 pm the next day. Car started up no problem; so I’m guessing it’s a problem with one of the “Audio Gate” (Radio, CD Changer, or Amp) I still got a low battery warning. I’m assuming because the battery didn’t fully charge the day before when I had to jump it in the morning. I’m going to see which one is giving the problem and replace it. Willl update when I find out which one is the problem. May be the Radio. IDK 😐
[/QUOTE]

I connected the number 6 fuse in the trunk back in and took out the cd changer fuse up front yesterday and my car was dead today. So I can rule out CD CHANGER. I’m going to put fuse for changer back in and take out Radio fuse and try again to see if it dies again in the morning. If dies again then it between the amp and the other two modules in trunk. (Voice command and tele-aid)
Any info to help please feel free to share.

Last edited by ChubbyFlyers; 06-11-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Missspelling
Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,420 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
Communications platform is located forward of spare well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Center panel.pdf (51.8 KB, 371 views)
Old 06-11-2018, 01:26 PM

E320
THANKS 🙏🏽

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Communications platform is located forward of spare well.
Thank you for the picture.
I know There’s an easy way to do this with a voltage meter. I just didn’t want to wait to find one cheap enough. I’m just going to disconnect each one and see which one kills the battery. I already bought a looper encase one of the ones in the rear are bad so I can bypass it.

I think 3-5 days to diagnose with out a meter. Not bad.

Changer
Radio
Voice Command
Tele Aid
Amp

(it has to be one of these)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:57 AM

E320
UPDATE 3

I connected the number 6 fuse in the trunk back in and took out the cd changer fuse up front yesterday and my car was dead today. So I can rule out CD CHANGER. I’m going to put fuse for changer back in and take out Radio fuse and try again to see if it dies again in the morning. If dies again then it between the amp and the other two modules in trunk. (Voice command and tele-aid)
Any info to help please feel free to share.
[/QUOTE]

I TOOK OUT RADIO FUSE YESTERDAY AROUND 7pm. 12pm today car started right up. Still got the low battery message so I’m assuming I may have more than one battery drain. At this point I feel like ripping the whole system out. I gues I’m going to have to get the voltage meter and go through the whole car. Any info to help with this problem feel free to share... thanks w211 03
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM

E320
UPDATE: still having drain issue

This fuse does the amp and cd changer take this out to see if one of them drains the battery. (7.5) F028
I had to change the battery again. It died so many times it couldn’t fully charge anymore. I’m still having a drain issue. I finally got an amp/volt reader. When everything is off I’m still drawing 2.6 amps resting. I unplugged the amp directly and it dropped to 1.6 amps so I think I have to change the amp drawing 1amp. I then unplugged every fuse in the car to try to find the 1.6. I even unplugged the fuel pump directly and I unplugged the seats. Only thing I didn’t try was the alternator but it give about 13.9 V while running so I’m assuming it is still ok? Still have 1.6 sitting around draining from somewhere. Nothing is making it drop down to about 0.5. I don’t know what to do. If anyone ever had 1.6 amp drawing at resting and fixed the problem please let me know what it was. I wish there was a recall for drain issues on w211 Mercedes e320 03-06. I see so many of them in the classifieds with owners trying to get rid of them because of drain issues. This is a pain! And I’m losing gas because I have to start and drive the car everyday even when I don’t need to leave the house. As y’all all know gas is not cheap right now. Thanks Trump 😩
Old 08-08-2018, 12:23 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by plasma
Update:

I removed the following fuses from the side dash fuse location:

#F023 Passenger Set Adjustable Memory
#F026 CD Changer
#F028 Radio
#F034 Driver Set Adjustable Memory

I already removed #F006 (Audio Gateway) which is located in the trunk

Last night I before I went to bed the voltage read 12.02 V. This morning 11.98V. Plus, THE CAR STARTED!!!

I was having issues with my radio => https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...2003-e320.html

Removing #F006 (Audio Gateway) caused the radio not to turn on completely, however, the CD changer still had power and when I clicked the power button on the unit, the MB logo would appear briefly then disappear. That got me thinking that the drain could be more than the Audio Gateway. I've already had a seat module causing drain, which was replaced and all went well for a year. It might be the other seat module causing the issue,which is why I disconnected the fuses for both seats as well. Tonight I'll replace one fuse at a time and see what's it's like in the morning..

One a side note... When I remove the neg cable from the battery, and use my amp meter to see if there is any amperage draw, I do not ever get a draw. I'm not sure if I'm not doing something right or there isn't anything draining the battery at that particular time. I set my meter at 10A, connect one lead to the neg battery terminal and one to the cable.. is this correct?
NO NOT CORRECT, Be aware there are designated jacks on the meter for using the 10A mode. The jacks used for ohms and voltage readings are not the correct jacks!
Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 AM

E320
Thanks 🙏🏾

Originally Posted by ot1
NO NOT CORRECT, Be aware there are designated jacks on the meter for using the 10A mode. The jacks used for ohms and voltage readings are not the correct jacks!
thanks but I got it right. I got the ground on black and positive on where the section says 10amp, and dail at 10amp. I know how to read it. I just need to know what’s the common problem that would draw 1.6 amps resting.

Last edited by ChubbyFlyers; 08-08-2018 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-19-2018, 03:18 AM

E500 2003
Battery drain problems

Originally Posted by blackhonor9
That's what I do whenever I park the car overnight as I can not and not been able to detect the problem, I also noticed that some mornings when I turn on the car the radio does not start automatically while sometimes it does, could this be a problem too??
Old 10-19-2018, 08:50 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by ptkacik
A simple but tedious test is to put an amp meter on the battery. Typically, this is the 10 amp setting and one cable is on the battery and the other on the battery wire (so all the current goes through the amp meter).

Then start pulling fuses until the current flow drops. BTW, as I recall, the current flow with my problem was 240 mA and more like 20 mA without.

Peter
except you forgot to mention that it is a dedicated jack on the meter (DVM) used for measuring the 10 amp current range.

and does everyone with this problem know where all the fuse locations are within the vehicle? Front SAM left side engine compartment, passenger compartment left side dash, rear SAM in trunk. It can be tedious but pulling five fuses at a time or relays and waiting overnight will help isolate which group of circuits is causing the drain.

Last edited by ot1; 10-19-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:36 AM

E320 of 2003 (W211)
Hello,
I own a 2003 E320...

Thanks

did you get any useful reply because thats the same problem am having with my car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E320 Battery Drain