E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Still have problem after replacing shocks. Need thoughts PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E-320 CDI
Still have problem after replacing shocks. Need thoughts PLEASE!

I had originally posted "Which new shock for my E-320 CDI". I ordered Bilsteins and they went on today along with a passenger side tie rod end and a 4 wheel allignment. This was to fix the problem that was caused by a large pothole I hit. The car has been tight and a pleasure to drive and has been well taken care of. Outside shows very few normal little road dings that come from driving, inside is immaculate showroom condition at 129K. I'm saying this because I keep things up and in good condition.
The pothole hit did damage the tie rod end and the shock, no disputing that. The mechanic called me after a test drive and said things were better, but not 100% right. The car still has a very weird floaty, disconnected, wandering, vagueness to it in the front, especially at 80+mph. It has never had this before the pothole. The mechanic is a friend of mine and knows MB. He's thinking maybe something with the rack and pinion but nothing certain......any thoughts? I could really use some insight here. Help!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM

2006 E-320 CDI
The mechanic unplugged the steering assistance and said it drove great. Said it's got to be the rack and pinion assembly. Ouch, $$$$. I'm glad TDOT said to send them the receipt.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
You can buy reman. one for around 600$, even MB dealership will install reman. rack.
Check rockauto.com http://www.rockauto.com/

What kind of Bilstein shocks you installed?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM

2006 E-320 CDI
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out. Might just get the new one though, since it looks like the state is picking up the repairs.
The shocks were the Bilstein HD's, front only. Tough to say exactly how they feel since I'm driving with the steering assist unplugged, giving me what feels like only half power steering (better than the wandering floatyness I had). I think the car is a little firmer without sacrificing ride quality and just a more planted and connected feel overall. Like I said though, tough to say with the steering assist unplugged. I'll update after the new rack and pinion install.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by CDI CountryBoy
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out. Might just get the new one though, since it looks like the state is picking up the repairs.
I am not sure if you can find brand new one. I had mine replaced three years ago w/rebuild one at the dealer and it is ok beside the same problem like the original one - knock when initially turning steering wheel left or right from dead center. I end up fixing it by myself adjusting the play through the big nut that can be seen from the top.