E550 vs. CL55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
E550 vs. CL55 AMG

Today I was at a stop sign (last class of the day ended before school was out for 8th period) and I ran across a very awesome middle-aged man in a CL55 AMG that was in almost showroom condition. Maybe some mid-life crisis in the way he was driving but I'm not complaining lol. Better than the 80 year old woman I saw in a Boss 302 the other day =P. We both drove up that two-lane road a little faster than we should have, but it was a nice day and no one was around. However, I could tell he was driving quite spirited. So we get to the stop sign and I was convinced without signal we'd end up racing. On this road it was possible to straight-line drag only up to about 50 (speed limit was 45).

As soon as we stopped, we both pause for a second, while in sport mode, we both kicked down and went for it. I am pleased to say my only lightly modified E550 kept up with his car all the way until we were forced to let off as there was an upcoming bend in the road. We were actually perfectly matched for a bit there. I'm sure if we had kept accelerating another 10-15mph or so he would have easily over taken me though as his supercharger was definitely doing the trick at the top end. We reached the stoplight and he briefly rolls down his window with a thumbs up and compliments my exhaust, pretty chill guy.

Looking at the specs of the CL55 I'm not surprised at the outcome, also taking into consideration his car was a couple years older, but needless to say I am really really impressed with the E550 and the M273. The thing can hold it's own against a LOT of performance cars. I know street racing is illegal and reckless, but sometimes when you're on a deserted road and have scouted ahead the temptation is too much!

Oh well just a random story from today I thought might interest some of you. Have a good one, all.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 03-14-2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Dramatic Effect
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Today I was at a stop sign (last class of the day ended before school was out for 8th period) and I ran across a very awesome middle-aged man in a CL55 AMG that was in almost showroom condition. Maybe some mid-life crisis in the way he was driving but I'm not complaining lol. Better than the 80 year old woman I saw in a Boss 302 the other day =P. We both drove up that two-lane road a little faster than we should have, but it was a nice day and no one was around. However, I could tell he was driving quite spirited. So we get to the stop sign and I was convinced without signal we'd end up racing. On this road it was possible to straight-line drag only up to about 50 (speed limit was 45).

As soon as we stopped, we both pause for a second, while in sport mode, we both kicked down and went for it. I am pleased to say my only lightly modified E550 kept up with his car all the way until we were forced to let off as there was an upcoming bend in the road. We were actually perfectly matched for a bit there. I'm sure if we had kept accelerating another 10-15mph or so he would have easily over taken me though as his supercharger was definitely doing the trick at the top end. We reached the stoplight and he briefly rolls down his window with a thumbs up and compliments my exhaust, pretty chill guy.

Looking at the specs of the CL55 I'm not surprised at the outcome, also taking into consideration his car was a couple years older, but needless to say I am really really impressed with the E550 and the M273. The thing can hold it's own against a LOT of performance cars. I know street racing is illegal and reckless, but sometimes when you're on a deserted road and have scouted ahead the temptation is too much!

Oh well just a random story from today I thought might interest some of you. Have a good one, all.
Be careful how you talk about middle aged men in this crowd. You'll likely get detention.

Take your car to sea level and enjoy that butt dyno experience. Your power is taxed heavily at 5000 feet.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550
If you're big on these type of stories, there's an entire section, more dedicated to 55/63 owners, titled kill stories.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Thanks man, I'll copy it over there. I am not too big into breaking the law but every now and then I rebel.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Thanks man, I'll copy it over there. I am not too big into breaking the law but every now and then I rebel.
Better than me. I try to follow the law every now and then
Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
*cough cough* Personally I couldn't give two sh$@s about the law, especially because traffic cops in my area overreact to everything (we're talking 3+ units on 15+ over speeding stops, usually with officers surrounding the car - hands on guns) since there is no other crime in this suburb, but I can't say that here, can I? I'm never reckless, dangerous, or disrespectful to any other driver on the road (or in any aspect of my life) but I like to drive spirited. I think morality and logic supersede the law, law which is adjudicated in a very black and white respect in this country. *cough*

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 03-19-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SL500
What are you studying? I wanna drive an E550 while still in school.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I'm in High School, currently 17. I run a small communications company I own, and next semester I'm going to be a surgical intern though a pre-med program I am concurrently enrolled in at a local college. Life is great, but way too busy. Need more time for the women lol.