Brake squeal issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 e350
Red face Brake squeal issues

Greetings all!

I got a CPO 2009 e350 with 19,000 miles on it about 4 months ago. I love it but the brakes are driving me crazy. They squeal every time I use them. I can't tell which direction the sound is coming from.

I've searched on here and found quite a few threads mentioning this but there were all many years old. Even after a thorough spray to try to get rid of brake dust makes no difference.

I brought the car in to my local dealer and they told me the pads were new and had no issues, other than the noise. He said they could change them out for about $800 but couldn't promise that they wouldn't squeak with the new ones.

So what is the current mindset on this topic? What can I do?

Thanks,
--Zeke
Old 03-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Squeel paste or spray....

First, get a friend to help you figure out where the sound is coming from. i.e. they stand at the side of a quiet the road while you drive past a few times smoothly applying the brakes. Hopefully with a few attempts you'll figure out which wheels, or all of them, are creating the noise.

Second, if you don't want to do it yourself, take the car to an independent and have them remove the pads and apply anti-squeal paste to them. (Alternatively, CRC has a red spray that does much the same thing.) This stuff goes on the backplate of the pads. You can't get it on them without removing them from the calipers. It is not difficult and is certainly not $800 to do.

If the pads are genuine (or at least reputable) and there is no more fundamental problem with the disks or calipers, you may simply need the above fix. Anyway, it's somewhere to start.

Last edited by ozusa; 03-15-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
My guess you aren't using Jurid pads.