Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CTD, e320 CDI, 06 yfz50
320 CDI or Bluetec

I'm looking for some fresh perspective
CDI. Brakes. Are they a reason to not get a 2005 or 2006
CDI. 5 speed tranny. Is it a positive or negative
CDI have you chipped yours or reprogrammed the ECU

BT anyone dropped the DPF? For closed course racing of course.
What program did you use
BT 7speed tranny. Can I handle extra HP and Torque?
BT. Does 2009 have a different body style than 07-08 or any other goodies worth having?

I know the I6 is fabulous. But I'm not turned off by the V6 and I am looking for your help

Thanks in advance
Chime in with anything else you love or hate about these too!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
09 has a better Nav/infotainment system, but is otherwise identical to the 07-08. 7 Speed has it's own set of problems, but they're different than the 5 speed. 5 Speed is a lifetime fill tranny, but you actually need to change the fluid or risk a dead transmission at 100K. 7-Speed (in all mercedes) has the valve body/conductor plate issues, where the ****ty sensors built by siemens crap out. In the versions on the bluetec, they're new enough to only require a replacement conductor plate, on earlier versions it required an entirely new valve body. 7-Speed is also jerky at very low speeds when ice cold (once warmed up, it's just fine assuming you have the latest software). This really only happens to me in my parking garage during the winter.

I have the BT, and I like it a lot, but I never drove the CDI. I can't get rid of the DPF because I live in a strict emissions area, but so far it hasn't given me any issues (76K). I haven't seen much in the way of delete tuners around here though.

I run a tuning box that boosts turbo and injector duration, seems to do the trick. If I turn it all the way up, I can coax some black smoke out when I step on it. It's basically as fast as I can imagine a diesel car, but I still wouldn't mind owning the (much faster) 335D.

I personally only chose the BT over the CDI due to the facelift and 7-speed, I didn't care about the engine differences.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
7-Speed is also jerky at very low speeds when ice cold (once warmed up, it's just fine assuming you have the latest software). This really only happens to me in my parking garage during the winter.
I own same 2007 Bluetec from new but never experienced jerky issues. Mine was a very late order and build in that year. I've been extremely lucky in my only 33k miles of use.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2007 ML320CDI
I have a '07 Bluetec and LOVE it. Don't listen to all the haters about the V6. It is a great motor and Mercedes drove this motor over 340k miles in testing and had no problems with it. I have not had any problems with mine except motor mounts. I find the people criticizing it, really don't know anything about it and have not driven it. That said the I6 is fantastic also. I have driven both, both great, just a matter of preference and hoping for no SBC brake problems in the 05-06. You will probably find an '07-09 with more bells and whistles on it than the 05-06, which I like a lot of the options. Good luck. You really can't go wrong either way, all good cars.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
I6 CDI!!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
I have an '06. I was looking at both models but the '06 presented the better deal at the time.(Sept. 2011) I6 vs V6 did not enter into my decision. The '07 was 11-12 hours away, was blue & black and had 77000+. The '06 was 185 miles away, obsidian black & ash and had 26200. My test driver was local but had 136000+. I did not like the facelift as well but it wasn't a show stopper. The particulate filter was a big turnoff.

CDI. Brakes. Are they a reason to not get a 2005 or 2006
No. In fact that was the one of the reasons I was looking at '07 and newer models. After I test drove the SBC brake system, I rather liked it and with MBZ's extended warranty backing it up, I crossed it off the bad list. Need to change fluild every 20000 to maintain 'extended warranty' eligibility.

CDI. 5 speed tranny. Is it a positive or negative
I find the 722.6 to be a very good transmission. Smooth imperceptible shifts at normal accelerations. Does not hunt. Not quick to upshift, rather it seems to like pulling with the torque from low rpm's. I have driven MBZ 7sp and the Avalon 7sp. They were gassers. increased upshifting and decreased mpg. Not directly comparable because they lack the torque. Need to do fluid change every 40000 religiously.

CDI have you chipped yours or reprogrammed the ECU
No. I am not convinced that what is available is necessary. I am not a hotrodder. I'm more a tourer. I like the smooth and quiet take off. Not a quick passer as I prefer the appearance of an effortless pass.

My only mod may be an EGR delete. Researching...

Kurtis
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
I have the 05 CDI. Wife and I have put 10K miles on it since purchase in Feb.

I see no reason not to trust it with proper maintenance.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI
I have 2005 CDI with 113K on it. Absolutely love it. Haven't driven BT, so cannot comment much. What made me decide on the CDI.

The old fashioned, heavy, cast iron, steel sleeves inline 6. The one, that goes 500K without even thinking about it.

The fuel economy - I am getting regularly 40 MPG.

The relatively simple maintenance and repair. The torque and power.

That said, I have not done any modifications and I maintain and repair meticulously. Because I don't pay dealer labor I can afford quality parts. Transmission fluid is changed about every 30K miles. No problems so far. Would be nice 7 speed, but... Oh, well... AT could be a little jerky when cold in the morning.
I think BT are too new to be judged correctly. The real assessment on a diesel engine I think starts over 120K miles. AFAIK the BT engine is V6 aluminum with machined in sleeves. Fuel economy also seems to be a little bit worse. I am sure they are nice cars and would be interesting to hear from a longtime BT owner.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by Morde5
I have 2005 CDI with 113K on it. Absolutely love it. Haven't driven BT, so cannot comment much. What made me decide on the CDI.

The old fashioned, heavy, cast iron, steel sleeves inline 6. The one, that goes 500K without even thinking about it.

The fuel economy - I am getting regularly 40 MPG.

The relatively simple maintenance and repair. The torque and power.

That said, I have not done any modifications and I maintain and repair meticulously. Because I don't pay dealer labor I can afford quality parts. Transmission fluid is changed about every 30K miles. No problems so far. Would be nice 7 speed, but... Oh, well... AT could be a little jerky when cold in the morning.
I think BT are too new to be judged correctly. The real assessment on a diesel engine I think starts over 120K miles. AFAIK the BT engine is V6 aluminum with machined in sleeves. Fuel economy also seems to be a little bit worse. I am sure they are nice cars and would be interesting to hear from a longtime BT owner.
Well, fellow alexandrian diesel W211 owner, I have about 76K on mine, and my problems have not been related to the engine. I had to have my conductor plate replaced on the transmission, which is a common fault on every single 7-speed due to the siemens sensors they use. In addition to that, one of my turbo hoses split and was leaking boost, which caused a limp condition because the boost sensor detected too low boost.

The Aluminum V6 (OM642) engine has been in about every mercedes model starting around 2005 in certain markets. It uses steel sleeves, and most of the issues I've read about pertain to the ones I've listed above. Just like the CDI, the EGR can become clogged. I've also heard everyone under the sun that doesn't own one ***** about the DPF being expensive to replace, but from cruising these forums for years, I haven't read of too many actually being replaced. The engine resides in Sprinters, MLs, GLs, G-classes, C's, S's and probably a few others that I've missed, and I don't think I've stumbled on one instance of a blown engine. Given that the sprinters are running around as UPS/Fedex trucks, along with RVs in the US, I would expect there are plenty with 100's of thousands of miles on them.

So all in all, I think the problems with bluetecs can be summed up as this: There's a couple BT specific issues (boost hose splitting, probably some others), a couple of 7-speed transmission issues across all 7-speeds (conductor plate in later versions, valve body in earlier, which had the CP integrated), and finally a lot of W211 issues as a whole (mine includes the keyless go doorhandles crapping out after a few years and the rattling pano sunroof).