Help needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 2007 E320 w211 cdi
Help needed.

Hi everyone.

Ok, here goes. I will try to remember everything in order to limit the questions.

Just over a week ago i purchased a 2007 MB E320 w211 cdi. Love the car to bits.

Went around showing it off to everyone, as you do, lol including the in laws. Who, had a problem with their car and the cigar lighters. The Father in Law was using an electric pump to inflate a dodgy tyre he had and said the cigar lighters didn't work. Foolishly, i tried it in our car and it didn't work in their either. Obvious answer, electric air pump was knackered.

I then tried our cigar lighters and they too didn't work (anymore) They did just before the pump went in. The pump had blown our fuses.

So, after a bit of fuse checking, i found one in the boot had blown and one under the bonnet too. I changed those and our cigar lighters work fine again.

We then drove home, about 30km away and when we tried to lock the car, the keys would not operate the central locking. I had a second key indoors, so i tried that one. That stopped working too. The red lights were blinking on the fobs ok.

Batteries changed, no different.

Intermittently, the locks will work if i hold the key virtually touching the IR sensor on the door handle, other times that doesn't work either.

The central locking works from the button on the dash and also the auto locking when you drive away is fine. I can start the car too.

I have noticed now, although i never checked before, that i don't seem to have an alarm. The light on the central locking button does not illuminate and if i open the door with the manual key, the alarm is not activated.

I have read that fuse No 8 in the boot is for the alarm, but there is no fuse in No 8 and hasn't been since i had it.

I have not found anything else that does not work.

I have visually checked all the fuses again and cannot see any that are damaged. Although, i have been told not to just take them out randomly to check them as this can cause a problem. Not sure how accurate that is.

I have tried resetting the keys, in and out of the ignition like forums said, no different. I have pointed them at the rear view mirror, the rear window, even towards Mecca and it doesn't work.

I am hoping there is some genius on here that will give me the magic answer.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 04-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
No genius, and no magic answer simply a suggestion - install 7.5A to rear SAM f8 see if this clears your problem.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 2007 E320 w211 cdi
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I was going to try this, but can't get one until tomorrow. Shops closed for holiday. Thing is, the keys worked before, but not sure about the alarm.

Steve