E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Joe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 200 kompressor 2003 1.8
Joe

Hi all. Hope someone can advise me as I am new to this forum. I have a w211 E200 2003. I am looking online (ebay) for a cheap diagnostic tool/fault reader. I have been looking at http://www.ebay.ie/itm/221097686022?...ht_1810wt_1344 and wonder if anyone has used it and if it is any good. Looks fine and the reviews seem Ok but hope that someone with first hand experience can advise or recommend a good value reader. thanks Joe . :
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM

MY03 W211 E320 Sport
You need to update your thread title. to something relative to what your question is.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks. New to this so sorry.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,039 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Do yourself a huge favor, before you buy anything do a month of reading MB systems, OBD and MB body and chassis fault codes and types of data expectations-------now you are ready to purchase a scanner and get on with your life!!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Some comments...

The specific device you have found can probably read generic OBD-II codes, just like many others available. That is of some use, no matter what type of car you own.

However, do not presume that the use of "MB" or "Mercedes-Benz" in any of the product marketing material means that it actually has MB-specific capabilities or that it can read and interpret MB-specific codes. For 12 quid, you'll get what you paid for and nothing more.

In line with Plutoe's suggestion, a bit of time educating yourself may be worth it. Consider buying a DIY book on engine management systems / OBD-II before you buy a device. I have a Haynes book, ISBN 1 56392 612 1, that lists all generic codes, what they mean and a few chapters on what the various engine systems are for and the codes they can generate and how to test and change common parts. It has no MB-specific advice at all. The value of this information is that a code number, by itself, is not much use unless you have some ability to interpret and take action - or to decide you need help from someone with more tools and experience than you have.

Be aware that OBD-II is mostly about the environment - whether your car is polluting or not and if its pollution management systems are functioning. So it doesn't cover everything you as a MB car owner may care about. Thus, no generic code reader is going to help you with Mercedes SBC brake system analysis and no generic code reader will help very much with MB transmission issues. That doesn't necessarily mean you should buy something fancy, but it does mean there are limits to what a non-MB specific OBD-II tool can do.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:20 AM

Thanks Guys for the prompt replies. I will take your advice and do some more research into a device which is more MB specific. I am somewhat familiar with the MB systems and have downloaded a number of documents relating to different MB systems and common faults. My major worry at the moment is that my MOST Ring is causing some difficulty. No Head Unit, CD, Phone etc. I have read the relevant posts on here and performed the tests mentioned. I seem to have optic signal through the loop but still no joy. My local garage said that there are error codes that he cant erase and that I need to contact my local MB dealer to get them erased. Too costly !! Any ideas ??
Again thanks for the replies and any advice as to a value system you would recommend would be appreciated.