E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Downshift delay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downshift delay

I have a '03 E320 and after I brake when I go into a turn I find the car is still in too high of a gear when I gas it coming out of the turn. It is very annoying that delay before it finally downshifts. I had a '97 E320 and I never noticed this delay. Has anyone else notice this also? Thanks for any replies.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:21 PM

2003 E320 - Black
Downshift Delay

I also had that problem. Took the car to the dealership to get a software upgrade for the transmission. Seems to be a little more responsive
Old 09-02-2003, 06:26 PM

2003 E-500
I also had a '97 E-320 and never experienced the delay with it. I believe the problem with 2003 E's is due to their new electronic throttle system. It may also be related to the fact the shift points (up and down) appear to vary with your style of driving. If you are agressive and "punch it" frequently the shift points are sooner than if you "***** foot" most of the time.

I noticed this problem more with my initial E-500 than with my replacement, Nav equipped E-500 that I am now driving. They have definitely improved the slow speed interconnect defeat of the accelerator whenever you touch the brakes that existed in the early 2003 E's. I learned from this board of the Tech Bulletin that is a software change and made sure this latest version of software was in my new car before taking delivery. I can now left foot brake when moving slowly (up or down a hill or parking) and not have the lurching that occured in my early E. Many of us have complained about this and they appear to have fixed it. Now if they will only give us the ability to change just just the preset radio stations from the steering wheel instead of scanning up and down.

Check to make sure you have the latest software for the engine control module, and if not, an upgrade may help. You could also drive aggressively for a while, if not already doing so, and see if that makes a difference.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:37 PM

2010 E550
Originally posted by Double Eagle
I also had a '97 E-320 and never experienced the delay with it. I believe the problem with 2003 E's is due to their new electronic throttle system. It may also be related to the fact the shift points (up and down) appear to vary with your style of driving. If you are agressive and "punch it" frequently the shift points are sooner than if you "***** foot" most of the time.

I noticed this problem more with my initial E-500 than with my replacement, Nav equipped E-500 that I am now driving. They have definitely improved the slow speed interconnect defeat of the accelerator whenever you touch the brakes that existed in the early 2003 E's. I learned from this board of the Tech Bulletin that is a software change and made sure this latest version of software was in my new car before taking delivery. I can now left foot brake when moving slowly (up or down a hill or parking) and not have the lurching that occured in my early E. Many of us have complained about this and they appear to have fixed it. Now if they will only give us the ability to change just just the preset radio stations from the steering wheel instead of scanning up and down.

Check to make sure you have the latest software for the engine control module, and if not, an upgrade may help. You could also drive aggressively for a while, if not already doing so, and see if that makes a difference.
Do you know when they released this software upgrade? Do you have to ask for it? Mine has a little lurching at crawling speeds. Is this something that is fixed with the upgrade?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:19 AM

2003 E-500
The service bulletin was released in Feb 2003 and to the best of my knowledge, the only way you had the new software installed is if you complained about it after that time. Here is what I sent to my service advisor to make sure I had it in my new E-500 and it doesn't have the problem. I know it was never used on my older car made in Sept 2002.

"I have learned that you have a Service Bulletin to Flash the software in the engine control module to enable smoother "two footed operation" at slow speeds. I have complained about this from the first day I drove my old E-500 so want to be sure that my engine control module has been flashed with new software if not done previously. Here is a link to the service bulletin."

http://152.122.48.13/prepos/files/A...001147-7290.pdf

Please note this is a link to an Adobe pdf file so you will need to have the Adobe Acrobat reader on your PC to read it. I also attached a copy of the pdf file to me message to my service advisor which, he, in turn sent to the service manager. If you have an older 2003 E model, you can refer them to this link to be sure you have the latest engine control software.

Hope this helps you out
Old 09-03-2003, 03:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
I had this ECU update done last week / My car is a sept/2002 build - It makes a noticable differance in smoothness / acceleration at least on my car.

The service bulletin was released in Feb 2003 and to the best of my knowledge, the only way you had the new software installed is if you complained about it after that time. Here is what I sent to my service advisor to make sure I had it in my new E-500 and it doesn't have the problem. I know it was never used on my older car made in Sept 2002.

"I have learned that you have a Service Bulletin to Flash the software in the engine control module to enable smoother "two footed operation" at slow speeds. I have complained about this from the first day I drove my old E-500 so want to be sure that my engine control module has been flashed with new software if not done previously. Here is a link to the service bulletin."

Please note this is a link to an Adobe pdf file so you will need to have the Adobe Acrobat reader on your PC to read it. I also attached a copy of the pdf file to me message to my service advisor which, he, in turn sent to the service manager. If you have an older 2003 E model, you can refer them to this link to be sure you have the latest engine control software.

Hope this helps you out
Old 09-03-2003, 07:58 AM

2004 E500
Here is a link to the service bulletin."
Can you verify this link? I am getting a "page not found" error - thanks.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:36 PM

2003 E-500
Try this link. It should open for you. If not, take the reference to your dealer and let them look it up for you. You can also go to the Technical Forum and see it listed there if this doesn't work for you.