E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I need some current input and opinions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 996 C2 Cabrio
I need some current input and opinions...

MBUSA and my dealer have decided to put me in a NEW car. The regional rep says that I have waited long enough already... 5 weeks and still going.

Anyhow, there are a couple of '03 W211s around that may meet our specs. I am also investigating the possibility of slipping into an '04 W211.

Here are my questions. I searched these topics, but all of the posts were pretty old. I'd like some current input.

1. Distronic cruise control

Yay or nay on this one? Can you activate the cruise control to just simply maintain a preset speed without all the radar adjustment business? Or is the system always adjusting and using radar? That would seem to get quite annoying at times if the car was always adjusting itself.

2. V60 hands-free option

It seems really convenient, but it sure is expensive! It also seems to have a lot of electronic bugs associated with it. This one seems risky to me...

3. Keyless-Go

Love it or hate it? Is it pretty reliable?

My current '03 E500 is plat blue with the sport package, HK audio, CD changer, split rear seats, multi-contour seats, sunroof as part of the E2 package, and side/rear shades.

TIA. Cheers!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Re: I need some current input and opinions...

Originally posted by NuBenz
MBUSA and my dealer have decided to put me in a NEW car. The regional rep says that I have waited long enough already... 5 weeks and still going.

Anyhow, there are a couple of '03 W211s around that may meet our specs. I am also investigating the possibility of slipping into an '04 W211.

Here are my questions. I searched these topics, but all of the posts were pretty old. I'd like some current input.

Yay or nay on this one? Can you activate the cruise control to just simply maintain a preset speed without all the radar adjustment business? Or is the system always adjusting and using radar? That would seem to get quite annoying at times if the car was always adjusting itself.

2. V60 hands-free option

It seems really convenient, but it sure is expensive! It also seems to have a lot of electronic bugs associated with it. This one seems risky to me...

3. Keyless-Go

My current '03 E500 is plat blue with the sport package, HK audio, CD changer, split rear seats, multi-contour seats, sunroof as part of the E2 package, and side/rear shades.

TIA. Cheers!
Have they said anything about cost of replacement, if any.
If you make changes they may take the opportunity to charge you for mileage used (if any), registration, license fees, tax, etc.
If you just get the same car it will probably be no charge to you.

Just a thought.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: I need some current input and opinions...

Originally posted by NuBenz

2. V60 hands-free option

3. Keyless-Go

TIA. Cheers!
congrats on your new car. i have heard that distronic is a pretty cool option, but not if the feeways are trafficy. down here in san diego it wouldnt work, and i didnt see one E-class with it at the dealers lot.

i dont know anything about the V60 phone, looks like a cool option though with voice act.

i love KG, i havent had any problems with it, just minor issues, its not the most needed option, but its fun to have, and very easy just to get in and get out of the car. i would get it
Old 08-26-2003, 12:06 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
We have the V60 with voice control in our SL500. We love it. I just got my replacement E500 with that option. Unfortunately, there is a problem with the microphone, being replaced now, that causes the phone to cut out. So, you are correct on the bugs. But, I still would opt for that before Distronic or Keyless Go. It is a big safety feature for us. Once we had it on the SL, we will never go without it again.

The really great thing about it for us is being able to pull the voice control stalk back on the steering column and being able to make a call without looking away from the road.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
A friend has Distronic in his S600 and never uses it because it only works on roads that are straight. Every time there is a bend in the road, he says it picks up false signals and changes speeds rapidly. The owner's manual talks about this problem too. I'm not getting it on my new E because of this. Seems worthless unless I was on Highway 5 in California all day.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:52 PM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
I have one of the three options you listed and that's the keyless go. We have had the car for a week and love it. Except for a couple of occasions, I always use the keyless go. It took me a day to get used to starting the car without the key. So far, we haven't had any glitches in the system. When we ordered it, I questioned the number of times we would use it. Now, after trying it out, I am glad we got it.

Good Luck!
Old 08-26-2003, 03:56 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Re: Re: I need some current input and opinions...

Originally posted by etenn
Have they said anything about cost of replacement, if any.
If you make changes they may take the opportunity to charge you for mileage used (if any), registration, license fees, tax, etc.
If you just get the same car it will probably be no charge to you.

Just a thought.
Reportedly, MBUSA is going to depreciate the value of my current car based on the Lemon Law formula in Texas. I did the math, and the depreciation is about $900.

I only had about 700 miles on the car when the brakes started acting up... Here's a link to the formula used in Texas:

Value Calculator

Regarding the monies, we still need to meet. We haven't discussed anything yet.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:03 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Re: Re: I need some current input and opinions...

Originally posted by bmms8
congrats on your new car. i have heard that distronic is a pretty cool option, but not if the feeways are trafficy. down here in san diego it wouldnt work, and i didnt see one E-class with it at the dealers lot.
bmms8,

I didn't order the distronic the first time around. However, one of the remaining plat. blue E500 sports available has the distronic on it. It's an '03. But this car is LOADED with more options and a higher price than my car.

If I transfer into another new '03, then I don't want to be out of pocket any money.

I don't think I'm too big on the whole distronic system. I have never had a problem with regular cruise control, especially on the E.

The V60 may be convenient, but I don't really talk on the phone while driving. Once again, my inquiry into the V60 option is in regard to the available loaded plat. blue E500. If people just loved all these options, then I might be willing to get into that car if the numbers work out right.

By the way, why is your car the unsafest E500?
Old 08-26-2003, 04:05 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
jhb, E55AMG99, and Nanky...

Thanks for all the replies. Your input is much appreciated!

RJ
Old 08-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Keyless GO

The Keyless Go is the only option of the three we have off your list. It is really fantastic. It works, and is sooo convenient.

We had a loaner car last week and it was striking how dependent we have become on this option. It would be my favorite pick of all options.

LC