E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

hELP! w211 e500 will not start I ran out of options.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208
hELP! w211 e500 will not start I ran out of options.

2003 W211 E500 Help!! I had a ¼ tank of gas so I topped it off, driving 20 more miles to gethome. About 30 min later I went to runerrands while parking I felt I didn’t put car in park just odd feeling. When Iwas going to return home I turned the key to start car and it would turn overthen quite, the second time it would turn on and sputter then turn off. I searched the forum and read about CPS, I purchased on from AutoZone, installed CPS still did not want tostart, so the next step was fuel pumprelay, I replaced it and still nostart. Now that the car is cold it onlyturns over. Any help is appreciated,what are the chances the CPS from AutoZone is defective? If someone could direct me that would bewonderful,

Thanks gang!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Originally Posted by wishforit
2003 W211 E500 Help!! I had a ¼ tank of gas so I topped it off, driving 20 more miles to gethome. About 30 min later I went to runerrands while parking I felt I didn’t put car in park just odd feeling. When Iwas going to return home I turned the key to start car and it would turn overthen quite, the second time it would turn on and sputter then turn off. I searched the forum and read about CPS, I purchased on from AutoZone, installed CPS still did not want tostart, so the next step was fuel pumprelay, I replaced it and still nostart. Now that the car is cold it onlyturns over. Any help is appreciated,what are the chances the CPS from AutoZone is defective? If someone could direct me that would bewonderful,
Thanks gang!
Your best and least expensive choice is to have it towed to an independent shop that has the correct equipment to plug into the car's computer and give you info as to what is the problem. Otherwise you are spending time and money on parts not needed.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,024 Likes on 952 Posts
1999 E300TD
To answer the CPS question, I doubt the sensor is/was bad. You did not bother to test the old sensor to determine whether it was faulty and no doubt did not test the new before you replaced------no doubt the same process was followed for the fuel pump relay-----in any event "home of stone" has given some very good advice!!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Ok this is a test you don't want to do but it comes from the 232 Ford days. IF you can spray starting fluid into the intake and it fires you know it is a fuel issue. If it doesn't fire you know it is ignition. Then you will have to put a gauge on the fuel system to determine if you have fuel pressure for about 10 seconds when you turn the key on to prime the system. IF not you have a electrical or pump issue. You can also check the fuel pressure while cranking. The CPS sends a signal to the processor to let the logic know the engine is turning and this will keep the fuel pump on. If pressure is low then either the cps, pump, regulator, or electrical component is the problem and you will be on the hunt.

So the first thing you need to know is fuel or spark.? Starting fluid can of course damage your gasoline engine so moderation is very important. Also it is a bit difficult with dual air filters. so possibly just the fluid in one side would enough for the test, however the next problem is the air cleaner will soak up the fluid so removal of the paper element would be required.