E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 E350 ipod connection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:17 AM

E 350
2007 E350 ipod connection

When i plug my ipod or iphone 4s into the plug in glove box. It makes the beep like its connected but doesnt charge. Nor can i get any sound. What am i doing wrong? This is my first mercedes n i am new to the forum. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-21-2013 | 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Unless you have the Ipod kit installed, it does not charge.
Old 05-21-2013 | 12:30 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Darth Benz 623
When i plug my ipod or iphone 4s into the plug in glove box. It makes the beep like its connected but doesnt charge. Nor can i get any sound. What am i doing wrong? This is my first mercedes n i am new to the forum. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Do you have the ipod connector or just the audio plug? The ipod connector was not standard until 2009. If you have the audio plug, then it will play but you can't control it and it will not charge.
Old 05-21-2013 | 02:50 PM

E 350
Not sure what u mean. I just plugged into the white ipod plug thats in the glove box. I cant even get sound to play. Not sure if ipod integration kit is broken or whats the deal
Old 05-22-2013 | 07:19 AM

2005 c55 AMG, 2006 Kleemann E50 K, 1997 Acura-CL Custom
Ipod Connector

I gotta ask, did you have the key on? If the device is connected and you turn the key off does it beep as well?

If you get a beep that simply means the apple device has a connection..doesn't mean it's a GOOD connection. The cable runs thru the glove box to the back of the Comand unit. My question is what does the cable look like in your glove box..does it look "home made"? Can you snap a pic? I can walk you thru diagnosing the cable And a second question..if your phone is in the glove box how will you make calls? Just Kidding

What I have done is used the "MB" ipod cable and modified it to run my Samsung Galaxy S4. Yes its possible to have micro USB (CHARGE THE PHONE)and 1/8'" stereo OUT from the MB cable. The only features it doesn't have are the display on the dash and the menu crap on the steering wheel.. Kind of a useless if you ask me. The Menu structure is terrible and the whole thing is a distraction. The volume up and down is all you need on the steering wheel.

What I did was pin out the MB cable (got rid of the glove box end) and attached an apple extension cable for extra lentgth, soldered on the usb and stereo out and ran them thru the center console to the rear of the cup holder in the center. So back behind the cup holder I have 3 cables..usb (I cant remember the voltage off-hand), ipod , and 1/8" male stereo. Theres's about 18"' of extra cable for each in case anyone needs to connect an Ipad or phone in the car. I'll post pics if and anyone is interested I can make you one.
Old 05-22-2013 | 07:24 AM

E 350
Originally Posted by kompression
I gotta ask, did you have the key on? If the device is connected and you turn the key off does it beep as well?

If you get a beep that simply means the apple device has a connection..doesn't mean it's a GOOD connection. The cable runs thru the glove box to the back of the Comand unit. My question is what does the cable look like in your glove box..does it look "home made"? Can you snap a pic? I can walk you thru diagnosing the cable And a second question..if your phone is in the glove box how will you make calls? Just Kidding

What I have done is used the "MB" ipod cable and modified it to run my Samsung Galaxy S4. Yes its possible to have micro USB (CHARGE THE PHONE)and 1/8'" stereo OUT from the MB cable. The only features it doesn't have are the display on the dash and the menu crap on the steering wheel.. Kind of a useless if you ask me. The Menu structure is terrible and the whole thing is a distraction. The volume up and down is all you need on the steering wheel.

What I did was pin out the MB cable (got rid of the glove box end) and attached an apple extension cable for extra lentgth, soldered on the usb and stereo out and ran them thru the center console to the rear of the cup holder in the center. So back behind the cup holder I have 3 cables..usb (I cant remember the voltage off-hand), ipod , and 1/8" male stereo. Theres's about 18"' of extra cable for each in case anyone needs to connect an Ipad or phone in the car. I'll post pics if and anyone is interested I can make you one.
No its not homemade. Weird is an ipod makes the beep like its connected but doesnt play sound. The iphone does not make any sound as if not connected. Im thinking theres a prob with the power source behind the dash
Old 05-22-2013 | 07:30 AM

2005 c55 AMG, 2006 Kleemann E50 K, 1997 Acura-CL Custom
Originally Posted by Darth Benz 623
No its not homemade. Weird is an ipod makes the beep like its connected but doesnt play sound. The iphone does not make any sound as if not connected. Im thinking theres a prob with the power source behind the dash

What I mean by home made...is it a white cable or black with a metal end?..if its the latter you can open the end and check the pins with a meter.

You can also pop out the comand unit (head unit ) and check that end.
There's some really good threads describing the removal of the unit.
Old 05-22-2013 | 07:47 AM

E 350
Originally Posted by kompression
What I mean by home made...is it a white cable or black with a metal end?..if its the latter you can open the end and check the pins with a meter.

You can also pop out the comand unit (head unit ) and check that end.
There's some really good threads describing the removal of the unit.
No its white. Ill look for a thread for that. Thanks