E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

V60 voice activation issue resolved.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2003 | 12:52 AM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
V60 voice activation issue resolved.

On Monday of this week, with just 110 miles on my replacement E500, I took the car in for a problem I was having with the voice activated V60 phone. When I was dialing by voice, the phone was hanging up and freezing in the middle of dialing per my voice instructions. In addition, once connected in those instances when voice dialing worked, when in a call, the audio and video screen were periodically unstable and flickering/shutting down and restarting, even though the call was still in progress on the phone itself.

My service advisor called and indicated that there was a microphone problem and that they would replace the faulty microphone. They also indicated that they would test the audio gateway. As it turned out, they replaced the gateway and the microphone. But, guess what, as soon as I picked the car up, I tried to dial with voice activation and, you guessed it, within a minute or two, I had the same problems.

I got the service manager as I was not happy (in addition to being without the car, I was without my cell phone, which they needed to test the system). He took it to the shop forman and the further problem found was a defective "audio platform for the voice activation". Luckily, they had just one in stock. So I now have the car back and it works perfectly. They indicated that the previous repair was tested by using the dial pad, not voice activation, to see if the audio and video for the phone was still unstable and flickering. It wasn't if the key pad was used. So this issue is somewhat subtle.

So, now those of us with voice activation can add the "audio platform for voice activation" to the list of problems headed by the audio gateway. By the way, they indicated that the replacement of the audio gateway may not be the final fix. There may be more to be done later. They indicate that the problems are all related to the conflicting speeds of the various components controlled by the audio gateway.

I have been somewhat inconvenienced. But I am how very happy with the system. Voice activation is absolutely fabulous, a real safety feature for me. I highly recommend selecting this feature if you are considering ordering a new car, from any maker.

Jeff

Last edited by jhb; 08-29-2003 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2003 | 09:41 AM

2003 MB E500
Congrats Jeff. I'm glad everything is working well now.