E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bulb upgrades?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Bulb upgrades?

Has anyone upgraded their stock bulbs yet? I usually upgrade all the bulbs on all my past benzos, and I tried doing that to my E500 today.

1. Its a huge pain in the *** taking apart almost the entire trunk to get to the rear lights. You need to pull out the bottom frame in order to get to the rear assemblies. Then it turns out all the lights are mounted on what looks like a chip board made of plastic with metal all around it. All the bulbs are irreplaceable, I wanted to change the reverse and signal bulbs to superwhite and the store said they have never seen those bulbs before. So I guess if one blows out, Id have to buy it from the dealer.

2. Front. Ive upgrade my stock HID bulbs to Stage III 8000k bi-xenon bulbs. Ive got some in the classifieds if anyone is interested. The look GREAT. Way brighter than stock, and a blueish violet hue to it, I guess because of the projector.

3. I changed the 2 yellow turn signal bulbs to Hyper white and it looks 100% better. Because of the reflector built into the housing and using 2 bulbs for the turn signals, the light is much more noticeable.

4. Inside round driving light. This is your standard wedge bulb. I tried installing LED super white bulbs, but it wouldnt work, I guess the car doesnt recognize it as a real bulb so no power goes to it. So I put in hyper white wedge bulbs. Again it looks GREAT. Not as yellowish as the stock ones, but not so bright that it takes away from your HIDs. Subtle hue o blueish white light.

5. Fog lights. Here I ran into another problem. The bulbs are H11s and the store has never seen or heard of them. So I guess you either go without or have to buy replacements from the dealer. Unless someone here knows where I can find some They look very similar to 9005/9006 bulbs but smaller.

Ill take some pics over the weekend if anyone wants to see them, or would like a source for replacement bulbs, please contact me at OGBenzoCA@aol.com.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Pewter Silver E500, 18" Style IV w/Pilot Sport
Here's a good thread that details the replacement lights........

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=piaa

or just do a search on "PIAA".....
Old 08-31-2003, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Re: Bulb upgrades?

Originally posted by OGBenzo
Has anyone upgraded their stock bulbs yet? I usually upgrade all the bulbs on all my past benzos, and I tried doing that to my E500 today.

1. Its a huge pain in the *** taking apart almost the entire trunk to get to the rear lights. You need to pull out the bottom frame in order to get to the rear assemblies. Then it turns out all the lights are mounted on what looks like a chip board made of plastic with metal all around it. All the bulbs are irreplaceable, I wanted to change the reverse and signal bulbs to superwhite and the store said they have never seen those bulbs before. So I guess if one blows out, Id have to buy it from the dealer.

2. Front. Ive upgrade my stock HID bulbs to Stage III 8000k bi-xenon bulbs. Ive got some in the classifieds if anyone is interested. The look GREAT. Way brighter than stock, and a blueish violet hue to it, I guess because of the projector.

3. I changed the 2 yellow turn signal bulbs to Hyper white and it looks 100% better. Because of the reflector built into the housing and using 2 bulbs for the turn signals, the light is much more noticeable.

4. Inside round driving light. This is your standard wedge bulb. I tried installing LED super white bulbs, but it wouldnt work, I guess the car doesnt recognize it as a real bulb so no power goes to it. So I put in hyper white wedge bulbs. Again it looks GREAT. Not as yellowish as the stock ones, but not so bright that it takes away from your HIDs. Subtle hue o blueish white light.

5. Fog lights. Here I ran into another problem. The bulbs are H11s and the store has never seen or heard of them. So I guess you either go without or have to buy replacements from the dealer. Unless someone here knows where I can find some They look very similar to 9005/9006 bulbs but smaller.

Ill take some pics over the weekend if anyone wants to see them, or would like a source for replacement bulbs, please contact me at OGBenzoCA@aol.com.
Pix please...
Old 08-31-2003, 09:04 PM

You can paint any yellow signal bulb yellow, this will give you a clear look and will still signal yellow when activated, great look and cops won't harass you for non yellow signals. A high heat silver spray paint works best.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally posted by Rave E55
You can paint any yellow signal bulb yellow, this will give you a clear look and will still signal yellow when activated, great look and cops won't harass you for non yellow signals. A high heat silver spray paint works best.
And it doesn't block th elight output? I've tried a high heat before and it ended up blocking the output...
Old 08-31-2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by michakaveli
And it doesn't block th elight output? I've tried a high heat before and it ended up blocking the output...
I didn't notice much, a quick light blast of paint did the trick, don't over paint the bulb.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
There have been a couple of very long threads lising all the bulbs for the W211.

Try this link:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=light+bulbs