E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'03 E320 or wait for '04?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E320 or wait for '04?

I have never owned an MB in my life but Im about to take the plunge and purchase a E320. I would be very grateful if any of you experts could give me some guidance.

1) The dealer is offering me a couple of '03 with the E2 non sport packages at his "invoice cost". Should I snap this up or wait for the '04s? Any obvious difference in the cars?

2) Is the sport package worth the extra? I heard those thin tires tend to pop.

3) Is the phone system worth it? I already have the Motorola V60 phone but now sure the package is needed. I see on here of a few people claiming it has bugs.

4) Is the Harman Kardon sound system much better than the standard system?

Thank you for any of yourinsights. I am loacted on the New York/Connecticut boder if there are any dealer suggestions.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
I'm not aware of any substantial changes to the '04 E320. I'm also not sure if those will be discounted so the extra few thousand are probably worth saving by taking an '03. Unless you really need the integrated phone system, it is WAY overpriced and not worth it. If you are in sales or real estate and constantly make and recieve calls it may be nice. They really take advantage of you by having a proprietary system. Even getting the handheld phone replaced is $500 - the exact same Motorola phone you can practically get for free except this one has a chip allowing it to communicate with the car. I never compared the HK sound system but it is awesome and a big step up for MB. I don't think tires tearing are much of a problem. I have 18-inchers on mine, improved road feel, look nicer, seem to wearing just fine. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: '03 E320 or wait for '04?

Originally posted by MB Novice
I have never owned an MB in my life but Im about to take the plunge and purchase a E320. I would be very grateful if any of you experts could give me some guidance.

1) The dealer is offering me a couple of '03 with the E2 non sport packages at his "invoice cost". Should I snap this up or wait for the '04s? Any obvious difference in the cars?

2) Is the sport package worth the extra? I heard those thin tires tend to pop.

3) Is the phone system worth it? I already have the Motorola V60 phone but now sure the package is needed. I see on here of a few people claiming it has bugs.

4) Is the Harman Kardon sound system much better than the standard system?

Thank you for any of yourinsights. I am loacted on the New York/Connecticut boder if there are any dealer suggestions.
1. congrats on your soon to be purchase. i would go for an 04 personally, just because it would be a newer car. but, if your going to get an 03 with a big discount, why not get an 03 E500?

2. for 4,000 i dont know if the sport package is worth it on the E320. on the E500 there is the standard air-suspension, and it also comes with standard 17 inch rims, with wider tires. you also dont pay for leather, paint, and the 4-zone A/C(a big plus imo)

3. i dont know much about the phone, our family was thinking about it, but we said no to it just because this car isnt our daily driver. so we didnt see the point in buying it. i think it comes down to personal use.

4. i really like the HK system, i havent heard the standard one, but the sound is real real crisp. it has a lot more power, and speakers, it also has a sub, the car cant really bump, but its great for CD's.

hope you get a good deal on whatever you get
Old 09-02-2003, 03:42 PM

2003 E-500
I would definitely recommend you get the 2003 E-500 now instead of a 2003 E-320. Ask about getting one of the trade in's from one of us that got a new E-500 with the NAV. My trade in was in perfect shape and had only 11,000 miles on it. I'm sure there are still a lot of those on lots and they should make you a good deal.

I would definitely not get the MB phone and agree with other comments about it's poor design and high cost. I personally like a phone I can use while the radio or CD plays in the background and find my hands free Nokia adapter works fine by just plugging it into the cigarette lighter. It has good volume and a good microphone pick up for me and the front seat passenger.

Tires are controversial as you can see by several of the threads on this board, but I have been happy with the standard Continentals on my original and replacement E-500.

Most E-500's are equipped with sun roofs and in dash 6 disc CD changers so you also get the upgraded audio as a part of the package. It's far superior to the basic system.

Good luck with your purchase!!
Old 09-02-2003, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
I believe the sport package is worth the 3800..but your dealer should give you more discount based on the fact that 04's are right around the corner.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Where are you located? Here in SoCal, you can get Sport Package equipped models for $1000 UNDER invoice. And this was a month ago too (my mom's car). If your dealer has some local competition, I'd try and swing a better deal.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:05 PM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord

Your dealer should be able to do better than invoice on an '03 E320. Let him know you are aware there are dealers out there offering as much as 2K or more under invoice. If you can work out such a deal, I would go with an '03. I don't believe they are as flexible on the E500s as aren't as many left in inventory.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
Since I bought my '03 E320 over a year ago, I don't know first hand what is being offered. It does make sense that you can probably do better than whatever first offer they make you no matter how good it sounds.

I agree there are probably fewer E500s around primarily because they are heavily outsold by E320s. Might be able to get a good deal because the '04 E500s are having more substantial changes, namely the 7-speed transmission.

I assume you have already considered the added benefits of a 500 vs. 320 as well as short term and long term costs. I think the advice to 'buy a 500' is kind of silly. Of course the 500 is a better vehicle, the question is if that is what you want or can afford, etc. Remember, in the rest of the world, the US version of the 320 is closer to the top of the trim line, they just don't offer all of those in the US. The 500 will perform better but cost more, pretty simple.