E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC63
New owner

Proud new owner of a 2009 E550 w/ AMG Sport. This is my family's second MB, we had a 2008 GL450 that was a great car but very, very expensive to fix, and we had to fix it a lot.

I'm coming from BMW-land, having owned seven in the past 11 years, most recently an e39 M5 (or for those who aren't BMW-savvy, a 2003 M5). That car was incredible, but a) it's a manual which my wife can't drive thus making situations where we need to swap cars very problematic (some might say problem? What problem?), b) it's also expensive to fix, and c) I had it about 18 months and it was time for something new.

So I decided to give the E550 a try, specifically the 2009 because of the updated COMAND plus the AMG sport package. I drove a 4Matic and it was just....blah....so I went with the 2WD version. Drove a 350 2WD and it felt pretty good. Finding a local 550 was impossible, there's only a handful for sale right now nationwide, so it was a little leap of faith to buy one out of state and drive it home.

I have to say, my first impressions are very, very favorable. Very solid car. A bit more body roll in the corners vs. my M5, but the power is there. I bought it in Kansas City and drove it back to STL, getting 29 MPG on the way back. When you want it to go, it goes, and feels like it's got all sorts of power in reserve.

Oh, and I got it CPO and bought years two and three of CPO coverage for a whopping $2295. It's very nice to have a warranty again.

Looking forward to enjoying the board! Pictures coming soon but it's all stock. Not considering any mods at this point, my M5 had exactly one mod on it and it was cosmetic.

Last edited by goodmaj; 06-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 S211 E500 4Matic
Welcome! You will find plenty of useful info here, I know I did. I came from an E39 740iL. My goal is to own the E39 M5 someday, but it's getting harder and harder to find decent examples. CPO is great to have, you will find that $2295 is very easy to spend with these cars.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:50 PM

2020 GLC63
M5Board is an incredible source of information on all versions of the M5, not just the e39. I learned so much about that car and ended up getting my hands dirty a couple of times courtesy of some very good DIYs. I know the E550 isn't quite so easy to work on yourself, of course having the CPO warranty for three years will temper that nicely. On our GL, we lost the P/S pump and a gas strut, those were $2400 alone. I'm looking forward to learning all about this car, so far it's been great.

The E39 M5 marketplace is very interesting. Here's a thread from M5Board that I commented on the other day. Basically, there's a company called Enthusiast Auto Group (EAG) in Cincinnati that scoops up good examples, fixes the usual problems, and then sells them for high dollars. I've been up there and it's a very, very impressive lot, if you check out their website you'll see all the e46 M3s and e39 M5s for sale. The market for the car has definitely settled for good examples and has actually gone up in the past year or so. If you ever get serious, I'll be happy to help you evaluate the car.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...t-gives-4.html
Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 S211 E500 4Matic
I know of the m5board through bimmerforums. I just noticed that I said I had an E39 740iL, haha. It's actually an E38.

I was surprised actually at how easy the 211 was to work on and I've done engine mounts, CPS sensor, breather hoses, tranny flush with filter change, bunch of other stuff I don't remember know. I've had 2 Audi's before and they were a real pain to work on.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
Very nice! We actually have a Imola Red E39 M5 show car here at Need4Speed and recently last week picked up a brand new F10 M5 that is going to be our new promotional vehicle with full Eisenmann exhaust, BC wheels, etc.

I own an E30 track-built car myself and just recently picked up a CLS63.

Congratulations on your E550, I am sure any questions you will have in the future will be answered right here on MBWorld.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 PM

2020 GLC63
Originally Posted by 06E5004ME
I know of the m5board through bimmerforums. I just noticed that I said I had an E39 740iL, haha. It's actually an E38.
Well, yeah, I wasn't sure how to play that one being a Newbie and all.....
Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 PM

2020 GLC63
Originally Posted by Need4Speed
Very nice! We actually have a Imola Red E39 M5 show car here at Need4Speed and recently last week picked up a brand new F10 M5 that is going to be our new promotional vehicle with full Eisenmann exhaust, BC wheels, etc.
Wow, looks great. A few more mods than are for me but sharp nonetheless. What are the Dinan mods?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by goodmaj
Proud new owner of a 2009 E550 w/ AMG Sport. This is my family's second MB, we had a 2008 GL450 that was a great car but very, very expensive to fix, and we had to fix it a lot.

I'm coming from BMW-land, having owned seven in the past 11 years, most recently an e39 M5 (or for those who aren't BMW-savvy, a 2003 M5). That car was incredible, but a) it's a manual which my wife can't drive thus making situations where we need to swap cars very problematic (some might say problem? What problem?), b) it's also expensive to fix, and c) I had it about 18 months and it was time for something new.

So I decided to give the E550 a try, specifically the 2009 because of the updated COMAND plus the AMG sport package. I drove a 4Matic and it was just....blah....so I went with the 2WD version. Drove a 350 2WD and it felt pretty good. Finding a local 550 was impossible, there's only a handful for sale right now nationwide, so it was a little leap of faith to buy one out of state and drive it home.

I have to say, my first impressions are very, very favorable. Very solid car. A bit more body roll in the corners vs. my M5, but the power is there. I bought it in Kansas City and drove it back to STL, getting 29 MPG on the way back. When you want it to go, it goes, and feels like it's got all sorts of power in reserve.

Oh, and I got it CPO and bought years two and three of CPO coverage for a whopping $2295. It's very nice to have a warranty again.

Looking forward to enjoying the board! Pictures coming soon but it's all stock. Not considering any mods at this point, my M5 had exactly one mod on it and it was cosmetic.
I have an e46 vert 5spd that was my DD until i picked up my e350 a month ago

My BMW was purchased & maintained with the intent on keeping it for the long haul I re-did about 90% suspension a few months ago, shocks, struts, sport springs, Front & rear sway links, CABS upper & lower tie rods rear bushings, diff bushings, trans & motor bushings. The car handles amazing. I kept everything stock. I've no intrest in lowering or coil over springs.

Compared to the Benz there is no comparing. The Benz handles very nice & it's tight as can be, but the BMW the way it's set up now handles like it's on rails. I am enjoying the smoother less harsh ride on the Benz. I haven't driven the BMW in about a week & when I drove it yesterday it took a little while to get used to it all over again. The Benz is spoiling me.

I agree the BMW's seem to be much easier to work on than the MB's. The BMW has been very relaible for me. Had one sensor go bad in all the years i've ownen it & replaced it myself. Everything else has been maintence. I even picked up the PA soft 2.0 coding software & was able to code many things on my car to my liking.

I'm finding this is NOT the case with MB. I did purchase a bumper to bumper 3/36,000 though route 66. he only way I would have bought the car was if I could get a warrenty for it.I had one o the BMW, never had to use it. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by The Thomas J; 06-28-2013 at 11:59 PM.