E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

is it appropriate to discuss pricing for models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
is it appropriate to discuss pricing for models

I have my eyes on a 2004 E500 4Matic 75k miles (with dynamic seats) and have been reading all kinds of posts regarding reliability of the airmatic system as well as the brake-by-wire system; on top of it, the dynamic seats are great but I can only imagine what it would cost to repair them.

However, I do realize that it's all relative to the vehicle's pricing; in some other newsgroups posting pricing is a no-no so I wanted to confirm before posting pricing info on the vehicle.

Thank you
Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
Hello and Welcome to the forum,

Well i've always seen people selling their cars here with pricing and all. I think you'll be just fine.

Ask and we shall answer.

Airmatic and SBC are the biggest but not only big problems you could face with the car.

-Airmatic can fail at any time without giving signs.

-SBC should have had all its recalls. Also check if the pump has been changed lately because it has a 10-year warranty from Manufacturing date.

I would personally avoid the 03/04 models, just too much problems with them in general. However if your car has full repair history and nothing serious is showing then you might be ok.

Moreover make sure to get a pre-purchase inspection from a mechanic you know.

Regards
Old 07-22-2013, 05:58 PM

C320
Thanks PortAxePlayer1 for the useful information.

The car lists for $15k and I did not ask about the SBC warranty work (I had not done any research when I test-drove it). The sales person indicated it's up to date, including the latest DVD for the nav system but I didn't follow up with specific questions. Now I know better and am debating if it is worth going back to check. To be honest, i was blown at how nice it rides, although I am driving a 1996 manual gear, manual steering honda with 180k miles, so any normal vehicle feels like an improvement.

The car has dynamic seats, sunroof and a nav system, and everything appears to be working. Without knowing anything about the airmatic system when I test drove it, I was a bit concerned when driving out of the parking lot at how 'floaty' it felt when going over pot holes, but then noticed how nice and tight it became at higher speeds during cornering; it all made sense after reading about the airmatic system.

The carfax report shows a computer re-program and some minor repairs in electronics and oil sensors in '06. However, there is no other maintenance record, only the registration/title updates; it is a 1 owner so I am wondering if the owner had the vehicle serviced at shops that didn't update the information, or that there was nothing done to the car? Not sure, but i think there should at least be a few oil change records and/or routine maintenance in the carfax report.

Anyway, I am still on the fence and as long as that price is not the deal of the century, I am not in a hurry.

Thanks for any information/guidance.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
You're Welcome!

All right, if you could provide us with the VIN i can pull the car's data card with delivery date and options installed.

Airmatic is quite good actually, but you have to keep in mind that if you ever need to replace any shocks or compressor the repairs might hover around 1k (shocks) or even more for compressor related issues.

The previous owner might have maintained it at an indie so that won't show up.

Here's one source that gives you a general idea about the 04 E500 price: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2004-Me...0-Price-t22721

Last edited by PortAxePlayer1; 07-22-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM

C320
Thanks again PortAxePlayer1

The pricing tool more or less suggests that the price is in the ball park, given the installed options.

I did manage to install the EPC software and printed a datacard so I have all the factory installed options at hand. I guess the only thing that remains is determining the condition of the vehicle and balance the cost of repairs over the next few years vs the higher cost of a newer model.

By the way, i have not seen anything like that in the messages but would there happen to be a pre-purchase checklist or something like that to guide someone on what are key things to check before making a decisions?

Thanks again