E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A Few Questions Regarding Maintainance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500 sport (sold), 2009 GL450, w213 E63 (waiting for ordering guide)
A Few Questions Regarding Maintainance

1) How do I clean dirty exposed aluminum on the engine in this picture? is there a spray that is recommended? I was also curious about the wires around the spark plugs and the engine, can that just be wiped down with a damp cloth? I mean the rubber housing for the wires. I was cleaning the intake manifold and I changed the air filter so I realized it was very dirty and I cant keep it like that.
2) Is there a special grease to apply to the sunroof track, as well as the windows? my sunroof started to open with a stutter as well as the windows. Its not really major but I have a feeling it will start to get worse with time. Iv heard of a white lithium or something, what is the proper grease recommended by Mercedes Benz?
3) I have 73,000 Miles on my E500 and I have owned it since 16,000 miles. The spark plugs were never changed. They are not acting up at all whatsoever yet. Anyway, I was planning on changing them soon even though the car starts up fine with no misfires and drives superb and strong. When I change them, are there any recommended brand to use for the E500 Sport? Or should I just use OEM spark plugs?

Thank you to whoever takes the time to read and respond. This site along with the members are always very helpful and informative with all the questions I have asked. Thanks in advance

-Jasin
Attached Thumbnails A Few Questions Regarding Maintainance-20130726_193515_resized.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by JasinP
1) How do I clean dirty exposed aluminum on the engine in this picture? is there a spray that is recommended? I was also curious about the wires around the spark plugs and the engine, can that just be wiped down with a damp cloth? I mean the rubber housing for the wires. I was cleaning the intake manifold and I changed the air filter so I realized it was very dirty and I cant keep it like that.

Purple Power, and a pressure washer gets rid of EVERYTHING underneath the engine bay. Don't waste your time with stupid "al cleaner" crap. Just blast it away. Make sure there are no openings to your engine (air cleaner|spark plugs| etc) that way water doesn't get into them. Go easy around electrical connectors and make sure to use pressurized air to remove water from ALL electrical connectors and most importantly the alternator!!!!!

2) Is there a special grease to apply to the sunroof track, as well as the windows? my sunroof started to open with a stutter as well as the windows. Its not really major but I have a feeling it will start to get worse with time. Iv heard of a white lithium or something, what is the proper grease recommended by Mercedes Benz?

dunno

3) I have 73,000 Miles on my E500 and I have owned it since 16,000 miles. The spark plugs were never changed. They are not acting up at all whatsoever yet. Anyway, I was planning on changing them soon even though the car starts up fine with no misfires and drives superb and strong. When I change them, are there any recommended brand to use for the E500 Sport? Or should I just use OEM spark plugs?

OEM recommended plugs, 70k is about time for new plugs and wires, coil packs should be good for a while but I would replace them just as preventive maintenance,

Thank you to whoever takes the time to read and respond. This site along with the members are always very helpful and informative with all the questions I have asked. Thanks in advance

-Jasin
My .02
Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 PM

@biggking, thanks man that sounds a lot better then the spray on crap. so its safe to literally pressure wash the engine? would I have to remove all the wires and stuff off from the top of the engine to do that? I don't want to sound annoying so I apologize. I just never did wash an engine in anyway before so the idea sounds great but very sensitive at the same time. Do I cover up everything around the engine like the aux battery and fuse box and all that?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Is it ok for the alternator to be exposed to water when the engine is off?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
WHAT?!? No it's definitely not safe to pressure wash the engine that's a horrible idea. If you want my take on it, it's a 2003 E500 - not a show car. It won't hurt anything if parts are a little dirty under the hood. It's better than steam cleaning or using a pressure washer on parts of the engine that are controlled by or close to sensitive electronics. Not a good idea at all, I'm sure some people will call me a noob and disagree but I really thing there is a *potential* to do more harm that good. Up to you though, you're a sharp guy from what I can tell so trust your judgement on it I'm not the definitive expert.

As for the sunroof mine is operating very rough, so the best solution is to call the service center nearest you and ask what type of grease they use. My service adviser was busy when I called him so I expect he will leave me a message sometime tomorrow regarding the type of lubricant/grease they use. I would change the spark plugs but the coil packs could go longer if you don't want to spend the extra money.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 07-30-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
The "official" sunroof grease is difficult to find, and is expensive to buy in quantity.
Klueber Polylub GLY 801 Grease, which is MB part # A001 989 84 51

I believe Kent over at Mercessource sells this in small quantities. http://www.mercedessource.com/node/6836
Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350, sport & P1
questions

I would NOT pressure wash under the hood. You are asking for problems. A little elbow grease and a multipurpose cleaner will clean it up.
There is a grease that the dealer uses for the sunroof, ask the parts dept.
I changed my spark plugs at 90K, they still looked good.
Dave
Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

06 S211 E500 4Matic
Check each spark plug. If they look fine, why bother? Spark plugs either work or they don't. Your car will not run any better with new plugs if your old ones are fine. Remember, there are 2/cylinder. Changing all of them at once can be expensive.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM

06 S211 E500 4Matic
As for water in the engine bay... As long as you don't get water in your intake, you should be fine. Now, I'm not an expert in submerging my cars into water, but a few buddies of mine go offroading and they have that snorkel thing for when they go in the water to prevent hydro locking the engine. I just don't know. Although I did see engines being pressure washed, just not as electronically rich. The main concern is not to do it when the engine's hot.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 PM

I think I came to the conclusion that I am definitely not washing the engine with a pressure hose. I don't know what made me think that was safe in the first place, I am just open minded to opinions because I know I don't know everything or close to it so I figured some know better. I'll just wipe a little here an there with an all purpose cleaner or something.
As for the sunroof grease, I just ordered it through the phone with Mercedes Benz of Manhattan. I don't know the part number yet but when I receive the grease, I will post the exact part number.
Spark plugs? I guess your right, don't fix something that isn't broken as they always said, so I will leave them alone until I have reason for change. Thanks again guys great feedback.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
WHAT?!? No it's definitely not safe to pressure wash the engine that's a horrible idea. If you want my take on it, it's a 2003 E500 - not a show car. It won't hurt anything if parts are a little dirty under the hood. It's better than steam cleaning or using a pressure washer on parts of the engine that are controlled by or close to sensitive electronics. Not a good idea at all, I'm sure some people will call me a noob and disagree but I really thing there is a *potential* to do more harm that good. Up to you though, you're a sharp guy from what I can tell so trust your judgement on it I'm not the definitive expert.

As for the sunroof mine is operating very rough, so the best solution is to call the service center nearest you and ask what type of grease they use. My service adviser was busy when I called him so I expect he will leave me a message sometime tomorrow regarding the type of lubricant/grease they use. I would change the spark plugs but the coil packs could go longer if you don't want to spend the extra money.
Hahah I was waiting for your feedback. Your definitely right, its not a show car, in fact, its an everyday Nyc Benz as much as I love it, it works hard everyday and is exposed to city life so its pointless to try and keep it like a show car. I will post that part number once I receive it (sunroof grease) Cheers man
Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Hahah I was waiting for your feedback. Your definitely right, its not a show car, in fact, its an everyday Nyc Benz as much as I love it, it works hard everyday and is exposed to city life so its pointless to try and keep it like a show car. I will post that part number once I receive it (sunroof grease) Cheers man
It does not look like this?
Ofcourse it's almost like a show car, it's not an everyday NJ Benz, it hardly works, is rarely exposed to sunlight (except the first six months of it's life after it was delivered from MB in 2007 when I did 18K miles in six months and then did 17K miles in the next 5 1/2 years, 35K miles total) and I keep it like a showcar. Hang on I think I just spotted a grain of dust in the photo...be right back

Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Hahahahaha Pinebaron you're the best man.

@JasinP No worries man but there is a LOT more to worry about than just the intake there are a lot of electronics that can be damaged by pressure washing so if you must have the engine bay clean do it by hand as mentioned. Thanks for the part you'll post, number I desperately need to get some of this as well. I struggle to keep my car show-car clean and quality as it is my daily driver so I understand the paradigm.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Pinebaron, your making me jealous, that's how my car looked when I bought it 4 1/2 yrs ago . I admire the way you take care of it, awesome. Im gonna post a pic of when I clean everything up, hopefully can come out the way yours looks

@AMGAffalterbach yea i know what you mean, at least we struggle to keep it showroom level even though they are every day drivers.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Pinebaron, your making me jealous, that's how my car looked when I bought it 4 1/2 yrs ago . I admire the way you take care of it, awesome. Im gonna post a pic of when I clean everything up, hopefully can come out the way yours looks
Don't be, it's a disease with some of us. With me it's not limited to cars alone; work, home, floor, lawn, basement, bowling *****, my kids...I drive myself crazy at times. Nothing is ever perfect to me; a spec of dust or an imperfection is a project to me. Surprising, but I'm still married after 35 years

Below is a photo of my daily driver, always parked outside, I bought new in Nov 1998 and the 09 photo is in my album, original paint, still looks the same. Recently spent over 9k on maintenance, new engine, suspension, brake lines, lower/upper arms etc. yeah that was a crazy thing to do for an old car but I fall in love with things.

Last edited by pinebaron; 07-30-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM

I know what you mean. I guess the result of that would be near to perfect lifestyle. Cheers to that.

PS the truck is ridiculously fresh, wow.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Please don't tell me you used Swissvax on that old truck hahahaha
Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Please don't tell me you used Swissvax on that old truck hahahaha
Don't insult my 'old truck' please . No I did not but definitely use some of the best cleaning and preparation materials out there. Keeping the huge beast looking good is certainly hard work; I think I saw The Karate Kid too many times, my obsession may have something to do with it
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM

2008 E350 Sedan
Nice pinebaron. I see too many neglected black vehicles.

My daily driver gets a wipe down under the hood with a damp microfiber after every wash. I hit the plastic parts with trim protectant when I wax the car. MB seems to have pretty delicate electronics, so free flowing water in the engine compartment never seemed to be a good idea to me.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by CharlieU
MB seems to have pretty delicate electronics, so free flowing water in the engine compartment never seemed to be a good idea to me.
Thanks. Though I've never had to do it to my Benz, I've done it on my Fords and other vehicles I've owned.

An air compressor, shop vac (used as a blower) or similar vacuum/blower is a valuable tool to own to disperse water following any washing effort (using a spray nozzle only) especially under the hood. Overall effort depends on how much grease/dust is there. The list of tools and materials is not exhaustive but a few detailing brushes, long handled detailing brushes to get into nooks and crannies, non-petroleum based degreasing agent applied from the bottom up then using brushes to break up dirt, abundant cleaning rags, a few plastic bags and rubber bands (to cover/protect delicate electronics), ability to reset vehicle electronics (windows, sun roof etc.) if disconnecting the battery (a good idea) plus good weather and time. Don't forget to spray engine and plastic protectant after you are done.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Keep the hood closed and wear the dirt proudly.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 AM

E320
JasinP.......

This may help. I used this method on my panaramic sunroof with excellent results:

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=0FrNi9XA9UU
Old 08-02-2013, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
@platinumblue, good info, thanks !