E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
View Poll Results: What is your reason for choosing the W211
I'm a loyal Mercedes E-class driver!
3.92%
I feel it is more prestigious.
5.88%
The new W211 is a lot 'sexier' than the alternatives.
17.65%
The engine performance is superior
3.92%
The overall package, engine, electronics, comfort, trimmings and looks are just far superior.
56.86%
The re-sale value is very good.
0%
It's a new model and I wanted to be one of the early ones.
5.88%
The ride in a Mercedes is second to none.
1.96%
I never really researched all the other alternatives.
0%
I regret buying the W211.
3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

What is your reason for choosing the W211?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW E60 M5 - '08
What is your reason for choosing the W211?

Hello everyone,

Last night some friends and I were having a friendly argument over the pros and cons of other brands of cars, in the same class. Ultimately, we concluded that a lot of it has to do with a personal feel about the car irrespective of the price tag. I personally don't buy that...maybe it was all that alcohol talking???

Anyway, I was curious as to the reasons why we had chosen the W211 over some of the other models such as BMW 5 series (either current or new), AUDI A6, LEXUS GS (maybe even LS), Jaguar (can't remember the model), Volvo S80. Some of you may think that some of the cars listed do not belong in the same class, but that was the basis of our discussion last night...be it right or wrong :p

So, I hope you guys participate in the poll as the answer would be interesting...to me at least
Old 09-06-2003, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
we chose this car because we felt that it was a big step over the E430. it has a lot of power, and is very safe. we also chose this because it was our first MB. we hardly looked at the competeion, except the S-Type by Jaguar, i dont know why we looked at that car though...the E500 also has a lot of features that its competitors dont have like an air suspension, 4 zone climate control, and all the options, like front and rear parking sensors, and keylessgo.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:49 PM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
We has a choice between the E500 and the 540. It came down to body style, safey and comfort features, option packages, engine performance, technology innovations (sensotronic brakes, keyless go, parktronic, suspension settings, etc.) and interior room. Well, the E500 ended up in the garage.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Thanks to all that participated.

I'm curious about the 2 people who regret buying the W211. Would you mind sharing your reasons? If you rather not post your reasons here, would you mind sending me a personal message?

As my delivery date draws closer, I'm noticing more and more W211's on the road...they are indeed 'sexy'.

My only frustration now is that I cannot yet afford the E500

Last edited by Le Burpor; 09-07-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
i cant speak for the people who voted they regretted why they had chosen the w211, but im sure it has to do with problems, a lot of early w211's had bugs, and its hard to pay over 60K for.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
i cant speak for the people who voted they regretted why they had chosen the w211, but im sure it has to do with problems, a lot of early w211's had bugs, and its hard to pay over 60K for.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Originally posted by bmms8
By early bugs, do you mean probs like the faulty engine mounts on the E500, radio shutting off, car drifting to the right, rattling front passenger seats, noisy brakes ....what else did I miss?

I hope these probs have been sorted out for the newer productions

Some friends have been asking me to hold off taking delivery of my car until I test drive the new BMW 530. I've booked in the 25th of Oct to test drive it. However, considering the bugs that exists in the first production batch I'm hesitant to postpone. Currently I'm 80-20, in favor of not postponing taking delivery of my E320.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
well, i would tell you not to test drive the 530, but its up to you. personally i would, because if i felt it was a better car, i would get it. those are some of the problems with the cars, i highly highly doubt your car will even have one problem, most of them were worked out already.

if you want luxury + sport i would not even look at the 5, but if you want a sportier car than the E320, then the 530 would be a great alternative.
GL in deciding
Old 09-07-2003, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
The main reasons I'm favouring the E320:
- More legroom for rear passenger
- Has been in production for 1 year
- Aesthetically, very nice
- Expecting a 'smoother' ride

Reasons I'm considering the 530:
- Asthetically, not too bad
- Head's Up Display option! Being a flight sim fan, I've just got to have this!

I don't really care much for the little bit of 'sportier' handling that the BMW offers. I rather the comfy ride feel. However, I was told the new 530 offers an improved comfy ride experience as well.

Price wise I've been told that it should be comparable, once the 530 has been optioned up. I'm paying around USD 85,000 for my E320. How much is it over in the USA?

I guess I'll have to wait and see when in Oct my car will arrive. If it's close to the 25th then I might just delay it till I've test drived the 530. Otherwise, "gimme mah Eeee!"

Last edited by Le Burpor; 09-07-2003 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:50 PM

W211
Originally posted by Le Burpor
The main reasons I'm favouring the E320:
- More legroom for rear passenger
- Has been in production for 1 year
- Aesthetically, very nice
- Expecting a 'smoother' ride

Reasons I'm considering the 530:
- Asthetically, not too bad
- Head's Up Display option! Being a flight sim fan, I've just got to have this!

I don't really care much for the little bit of 'sportier' handling that the BMW offers. I rather the comfy ride feel. However, I was told the new 530 offers an improved comfy ride experience as well.

Price wise I've been told that it should be comparable, once the 530 has been optioned up. I'm paying around USD 85,000 for my E320. How much is it over in the USA?

I guess I'll have to wait and see when in Oct my car will arrive. If it's close to the 25th then I might just delay it till I've test drived the 530. Otherwise, "gimme mah Eeee!"
I'm not so sure about the legroom for the rear passengers. The W210 was near the top of its class in terms of rear legroom but MB decided to enlarge the trunk at the expense of rear legroom for the W211 It still bewilders me, although the decreased legroom may also have to do with the slick shape of the W211. I find it hard to believe that any new car in the class would have *less* legroom than the W211. The fact that there is no room to put your feet under the backs of the front seats exacerbates this problem.

But since you said you don't really care for the sportier handling and would rather be more comfortable, I'd recommend the E320, but get Airmatic

E320s range in the high 40s to mid 50s here.

Last edited by MPTLPTR; 09-07-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:39 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
Le Burpor: I had the renewed opportunity, I think, to get a 5 series (or any other car) when the navigation problem could not be solved. I could have demanded simply to have my lease cancelled for failure to deliver the navigation. Based upon that, I considered the 5 series. But I chose to take the replacement W211 when I saw the final design of the 5 series. I just don't like what they have done to what was a really beautiful car (to the contrary with the new W211 which I find to be a great improvement-I would never have purchased a W210). I know that this is all a matter of taste. Here is a link to the Edmunds site with many photos of the new 5:

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/b...idenav..1.BMW*

Apparently you will have a first hand look. Let us know what you think.

Good luck, Jeff
Old 09-08-2003, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Jeff,

Thanks for the link. I was surprised to see that the leg room between the 2 cars are not very different. In fact, the BMW offers more head room and shoulder room. Surprising!

I used to dislike the design. But, the more I looked at it the more I'm accepting it. Emphasis on the word 'accept' here as it is not 'like'.

I intend to take photos of the 530 and then do some pics comparison against the E320. If no one beats me to it, I'll post them on this board
Old 09-08-2003, 09:41 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Le Bupor: If you peruse the BMW boards, I think you may discover their owners' experience is much the same as MB on first year models now (745, for example). There is just too much standard technology for both the owner and the dealer to sort out. Personally, my E320 has been great, one minor issue quickly resolved with the Tele-Aid, now on my 11th month of ownership. The dealer is exceptionally good. I think you'll like the E, and second year is always better in terms of early problems on any car.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:58 PM

i picked 'The overall package, engine, electronics, comfort, trimmings and looks are just far superior.'

however i am disapointed, for the money mb wants for what you get.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:39 PM
BWL

I took a very hard look at the 2003 BMW 530i before opting for a 2003 E320. I liked the way the 5 series handled, but the styling was getting a bit dated (both exterior and interior) and I did not want to plunk down that kind of money for a basic design that has been around since 1997. Unfortunately the 2004 5 series has gone in a styling direction that has turned many people off (including myself).

Now that I have been driving my E320 (E2/E3/CD changer) for about a month I have absolutely no regrets. The car handles well (airmatic suspension), is solidly built (no rattles), and is a pleasure to drive. Styling is always a subjective matter, but in my opinion MB has excelled in delivering a design that flows both inside and outside the car.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Since my mom had the final say, her reasons were mainly the looks of the sport model and the perceived status (she says older Chinese people consider Mercedes and Rolls Royce the best brands). She loves the car. I'm actually a bit disappointed with the Airmatic suspension but the car looks freaking sweet.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:23 PM

S550, GL450
Hi,

I have been a driving 4 BMWs for the past 11 years and I still currently own a 740il. The 03 E500 that I have is a great car and I can tell you both BMW and Mercedes really know how to build high quality world class automobiles.

If you more care for luxury, go for the Mercedes. My E500 has airmatic and offer great handling, but I still prefer the sporty feel of my 7-series. I think the BMW's handling is more natural. Both brand has some features that I like better than the other. So take a close look and compare which one you like more.

For the look, I like my E better, but honestly, I think the new 5 series looks pretty good too.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
I've never owned a BMW nor a Mercedes before....wait, I lie...I own an A160 LWB which the wife drives...does that count???

Anyway, despite not having own a 'substantial' BMW or Mercedes, I have spent many hours in the 735iL, 325, 328, S320, S430 and CLK500. I guess I can state that I'm pretty familiar how the two makes differ in handling. The Beemers does have a more 'road' feel to it. I don't mind it but I don't really crave for it. I rather have a quieter car that offers a smooth and comfy ride.

Unfortunately I was advised against the Airmatic when I ordered my E320. Reading the posts in this forum I know I'm going to regret that decision. Nevertheless, the E320 I test drove did not have the Airmatic and I was pretty happy with the handling, cabin noise and comfort. Unless the new 5 series can match these criterias and provided the internal cabin aesthetics are as nice as the E, then I doubt I will change my mind.

I hope the BMW dealer will allow me to take the 5 series on the same stretch of road that I test drove the E320. In Adelaide there's a stretch that's called "Eagle on the Hill". It's basically 5 kms of winding road going up (or down) a hill. As it's virtually abandoned there's seldom any police there. Going downhill around 150km/h on a straight then having to zig zag through 6 medium 80-90 deg turns and eventually braking hard for a sharp U turn at the bottom of the hill (exit around 40km/h), makes for a great stretch for a test drive! I've been in a SL500 where the driver went into the stretch at 230km/h! He certainly has more guts and skill (professional race car driver) than I will ever have LOL!

Thanks for all of your opinions!

Last edited by Le Burpor; 09-08-2003 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:44 AM

E 320
Resason to buy 2003 E

Mainly because of the new interior. Most old MB have the traditional interior, that does not appeal to me. The new 2003 E has the kind of interior that I love.

Main reason for me to buy was this.

Of course other things branding, status, safety, performance come with most luxury cars.