E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Maitenance schedule - what's due?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 e350
Arrow Maitenance schedule - what's due?

I'm sure this has been covered, but I must not be using the right keywords as I can't find much via search. Maybe someone can just link me to a relevant thread.

Our '07 e350 is nearing 90k and I'm just looking for a heads up on what I should look for or do as preventative measures. I know the dash alerts will cover fluids and the basics; but what about cooling system, mechanical items, suspension, etc? What are recommended replacements or common failures in the 90-100k range?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:17 PM

07 e350
Dang, nothing? Does everyone just wait for stuff to break?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Disorganized thoughts:
Transmission fluid and rear differential fluid - which should have been done already, and probably should be done again by now. Power steering fluid has no interval, but a simple extract what you can from the reservoir and refill with the same amount should be sufficient, if performed 2 or 3 times over a few days.
If I remember correctly, coolant doesn't need to be changed for at least 10 years (but obviously you can change it sooner). Some feel that thermostat (which includes the housing) should be done at that time too even if not defective.
There is no replacement interval specified for the shock absorbers, bushings, flex disks, and the poly-V-belt. Inspect for cracks, wear and excess and replace as required.
Battery load test would be a good idea too if you have access to a capacitance based tester.
Checked condition of spare tire recently? Inspected first-aid kit for expired items?
When was the last time you gave your car a really good detail: wash, compound, polish and wax? How about the interior? This is all value retention.

If you have access to a STAR Diagnosis computer, a Quick test is always great, as non-permanent faults are recorded and could point to aging components or pre-failure status.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 PM

07 e350
Good information man, thank you. That actually makes me feel like I'm in pretty good shape. We've had the car two years, six months and my wife has put 20k miles on it (65k-85k).

-Transmission was fully serviced by dealer right after purchase. With 20k on the clock since I would think we're good for a bit. Have not done diff though and will do so soon. Dealer fluid recommended?

-Have not done anything to PS, will probably flush. Is the filter in the reservoir?

-Along same lines, maybe I should flush brake fluid. I replaced pads and rotors with dealer parts at time of purchase...should have gone aftermarket low dust!

-Sounds like cooling system and t-stat are good for a few more years.

-I replaced the shocks about six months after purchase and they have probably 16k on them. There was a rattle at purchase and tires were cupping. I inspected the suspension then but prob time to do so again.

-Belts and hoses are a should be obvious one that I actually haven't checked.

-The first aid kit has never been used and may never be, but we do have a kid now so worth a look.

-The car is washed at least every other week and garaged. Two weeks ago I gave it a really good wash, clay bar, and polish. We wash the wheels by hand and at least every other wash wipe down the door jams, doors, sills, trunk trim, and interior as part of the drying process. I totally agree - that stuff keeps the car looking new and really helps overall appearance.

-I haven't done much to the seats other than clean. The driver seat actually has a crack that I had repaired but it came back. Been considering having the base cover replaced by the dealer.

-No access to STAR Diag, but maybe if I'm in for the seat they can scan it for me.

-Oh yeah, think I've done three oil changes (about 7.5k each), and have changed the air filter.

-Will check battery.

-Forgot: spare tire was checked after she blew one out and had to use it last fall. Ended up with a new set of Bridgestones. Not crazy about them...

Last edited by absentmathis; 08-30-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
One last thing I forgot - sunroof or panoramic roof rails, clean and re-grease. Don't have a procedure for this myself, and the official lube is hard to find, but it's a mentioned item in the maintenance literature.

No filter to replace in the PS reservoir anymore.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:30 AM

07 e350
Funny that you mention that - and that I forgot it - that's actually the last thing I did. She got the one inch window movement with the sunroof so I cleaned the tracks and greased with white lithium and reset each position. I also put a bit of silicone on each window seal at the same time, they were all fine but I figured for good measure.

I'm a little bit worried about the trunk lid moisture problem. I notice it drips for a while after a wash. Any thoughts?