DIY: Oil Change for the Front & Rear Differentials – 2008 E350 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350 4-Matic
DIY: Oil Change for the Front & Rear Differentials – 2008 E350 4Matic

(2008 E350 4Matic)
After having a problem in my front differential (The problem is: when the oil in the differential get warm after about 15 min driving, when the car stop and start moving (like in the traffic lights) it was like some knocking on the front differential - I was feeling it underneath my foot), I decided to replace the front & rear differentials' Oil.

What you Need (see the pictures)..

1- 2 Liter of 75W85 Oil - from (MB Dealership)
2- Oil Transfer Pump (available at local market; AutoZone, o'reilly, Advanced Auto Part …etc.)
3- Hex Socket and Ratchet – with at least 7” inch long (for the front).
4- Hex Socket (14 mm for the rear).

(For the Front - there is only one plug - for Fill and Drain) – About 0.6L of Oil required.
- Lift the car for the front right.
- Take off the front right/passenger side tire.
- Take off the Drain/fill plug (see picture).
- Use the black (small) tube in the Transfer pump, and put it into the front differential hall, (make sure when you entering this small tube to enter in into the left side and start rolling it till you can feel the you entered the maximum about).
- Start pumping, and put the oil which came out from the axle in a good place to check the quantity (this step could take a long time of pumping till the oil start coming out).
- When you feel the there is no more oil inside the axle, reverse the operation, but don't use the small black tube. And start pumping into the axle, and continue to pump until the oil start draining from the axle's hall, put the plug onto the hall and tight it, and that’s it.

(For the Rear - there are two plugs - for Fill and Drain)- About 1L of Oil required.
- Lift the car from the rear side.
- Open the drain plug, and wait till all the oil comes out.
- Close the drain plug, and open the filling plug, and start filling it, until the oil reach the filling plug limit.
- Close the filling plug, and that’s it.
After complete this operation, the sound is gone and the car is now moving so smooth.
(Sorry for my bad English)
Attached Thumbnails -gpiypju.jpg   -1jzogbz.jpg   -yymtt3r.jpg   -y5w4wqu.jpg   -5czsvtx.jpg  

-8jlva3u.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Andras888 (03-17-2018)
Old 09-08-2013, 09:17 PM

2008 E350 4-Matic
Pictures

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails -pvzz0mb.jpg   -glnp0ns.jpg   -jss70ik.jpg   -j4zldiq.jpg   -wfzxosr.jpg  

-0przktb.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 09:24 PM

2008 E350 4-Matic
Pictures

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails -acxeomn.jpg   -thglfmv.jpg   -etkv2jc.jpg   -wgp1mso.jpg   -04be5gf.jpg  

-yrvsvya.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 09:32 PM

2008 E350 4-Matic
Last Pictures

Last Pictures
Attached Thumbnails -ns4gwqs.jpg   -uqu1uq7.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
btv94 (05-19-2016)
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Very nice pictures. Only tip is that for rear differential, I would recommend undoing the FILL plug first before draining, in-case it is seized up. You want to be aware of this before you drain all fluid from it.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 AM

2008 E350 4-Matic
Originally Posted by apl175
Very nice pictures. Only tip is that for rear differential, I would recommend undoing the FILL plug first before draining, in-case it is seized up. You want to be aware of this before you drain all fluid from it.
Thank you, yes it is also depend on from which side you lifted the car (Right or Left) if you are using the car jack (like myself).
Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
is it just me or do you have a split boot on the front half shaft?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 AM

2008 E350 4-Matic
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
is it just me or do you have a split boot on the front half shaft?
No, Mine is one piece Front Drive Shaft boot.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Thanks for this write up. I just tried doing my wife's car, I could only get a small amount out of the front diff, filled it until it ran out the hole. The rear I drained as I removed the diff and replaced the bearings. It only took just over 1l. The manual calls for 1.7 in each diff. I could only get so much in, no where near what the manual calls for, but certainly close to what you said you put in. Any help? I just don't want them running short of gear oil.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:25 PM

E500
Thanks for the instructions. I have a 2004 E500 4Matic, and I had to remove the right engine (motor) mount before I could insert a tool into the plug.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:29 PM

E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by nawras_20
(2008 E350 4Matic)
After having a problem in my front differential (The problem is: when the oil in the differential get warm after about 15 min driving, when the car stop and start moving (like in the traffic lights) it was like some knocking on the front differential - I was feeling it underneath my foot), I decided to replace the front & rear differentials' Oil.

What you Need (see the pictures)..

1- 2 Liter of 75W85 Oil - from (MB Dealership)
2- Oil Transfer Pump (available at local market; AutoZone, o'reilly, Advanced Auto Part …etc.)
3- Hex Socket and Ratchet – with at least 7” inch long (for the front).
4- Hex Socket (14 mm for the rear).

(For the Front - there is only one plug - for Fill and Drain) – About 0.6L of Oil required.
- Lift the car for the front right.
- Take off the front right/passenger side tire.
- Take off the Drain/fill plug (see picture).
- Use the black (small) tube in the Transfer pump, and put it into the front differential hall, (make sure when you entering this small tube to enter in into the left side and start rolling it till you can feel the you entered the maximum about).
- Start pumping, and put the oil which came out from the axle in a good place to check the quantity (this step could take a long time of pumping till the oil start coming out).
- When you feel the there is no more oil inside the axle, reverse the operation, but don't use the small black tube. And start pumping into the axle, and continue to pump until the oil start draining from the axle's hall, put the plug onto the hall and tight it, and that’s it.

(For the Rear - there are two plugs - for Fill and Drain)- About 1L of Oil required.
- Lift the car from the rear side.
- Open the drain plug, and wait till all the oil comes out.
- Close the drain plug, and open the filling plug, and start filling it, until the oil reach the filling plug limit.
- Close the filling plug, and that’s it.
After complete this operation, the sound is gone and the car is now moving so smooth.
(Sorry for my bad English)

I just used this procedure to do the front and rear gear oil on my 08 E350 4Matic.
It worked perfectly. Just be careful how small a hose you use to suck out the front. Too small and it wont work.
Thanks for the Pictures!!
Old 04-03-2019, 12:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S55
Just finished this up my E320 and thought I'd add a few tips so it doesn't take you an hour to do a 10 min job like it took me!

1) MB now stocks & sells 75w-85, I used Mobil Delvac 1 synethic gear oil 75w-90, GL-5.

​​​2) E320, NON 4matic uses 1.06 quarts or 34oz
3) Fill & drain plug torque specs is 50nm or 37ft lbs.
4) MB WIS calls for thread sealer on the p!ugs, I used permatex anaroebic gasket maker.

5) if you have a 14mm Allen/ socket & driver that's longer than 3 inches you'll need to move some of the exhaust pipes to remove and re-installing the fill & drain plugs. Spray some WD-40 or PB Blaster on the hanger & rubber isolaters at the muffler and the hanger just behind the gas tank. They'll pull right off once you lube them. You'll also need a 12mm socket to remove the clamp that holds the two exhaust pipes together right at the back of the axle. Once you've done this you can move the exhaust pipes out of the way enough to get at the fill & drain plugs with the rachet & torque wrenches.

6) I backed the car up the edge of the driveway putting the passanger rear tire squarely on top of the curb and this gave my big a$$ enough room to get under the car and do all the work so no Jack or jack stands needed. *Depending on your street & driveway angles this might throw off your ability to drain the diff so make sure you get 34oz out BEFORE you refill it.

7) Put some cardboard down to lay on it makes moving around and sliding in & out much easier.

Last edited by Cambz; 04-03-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:53 PM

E350
Originally Posted by apl175
Very Good Tip!
Old 06-16-2019, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Nice write up! Now I'm armed to tackle mine!