HID Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
HID Problems

Inb4 Irondad coming on this thread with an "I told you so" comment, I want to point out that DDMTuning HIDs have worked for a lot of people on the forums so I want to know what the hell the issue is.

First off, I have 55w low beams and 35w fog lamps that up until a couple weeks ago were working perfectly. But without warning or reason, the passenger's side low beam went out and I assumed it was either the bulb or the ballast. I purchased 2 new bulbs and 2 new ballasts from DDM assuming one of those components had failed. Tonight, I tried using a new bulb, no luck. Then, I tried temporarily setting up the new ballast, no luck either. Finally, I did a new ballast and bulb on that side and although it sparked, I got some very weird and maybe concerning results.

The driver's side low beam and both fog lights come on perfectly, sometimes the driver's side fog light will turn off once then come back on but that's generally not an issue, just an annoyance. But the passenger's side bulb would spark and try and try to light but it just wouldn't no matter what bulb or ballast combination I used. It would sit there and try to spark and the weird part is I could then hear the engine fan starting to cycle on when I had that hooked up, it was either that or load on the alternator but I believe it was the former. I unhooked it on that side and everything returned to normal, no indicators on the dash either way.

The second problem is the driver's side low beam, from time to time it will flicker but not turn on and off... rather it will "twinkle" for maybe 10 seconds that's noticeable only if you're behind another car or parking in the garage, then it will go solid again without any very slight flickering. I hate this and I also thought it was the ballast but now I'm thinking maybe I need to install a battery relay?? Maybe I need to get a wiring harness? Do I need to replace a fuse or have some wiring redone? Really concerned and not sure where to turn. Thanks for any ideas!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sure

Last edited by Plutoe; 12-14-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Okay for THIS ONE TIME would you refrain from being a dick and answer my question hahaha dammit plutoe. Love u man
Old 12-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
My problem is that I do not know if this is an MB system or something that you added as an after thought----Is it an MB system??
Old 12-14-2013, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Personally AMGAffalterbach contact the DDM Tuning HID supplier or company and demand your money back, they seem to be crap, HID should be good for years and if you continue to assist with their wealth by rebuying crap well....
Now, possibly you have a ground issue or perhaps your issue could be fixed with a proper ground addition to the factory wiring, is there a chance you have overheated the factory wiring( smell). Does the DDM kit come with it's own inline fuse. The battery relay you mention may be too late if you have overheated the factory harness, but it may not hurt to try one side.

Starting to write like you, do a crude setup with a battery , ballast and bulb to see if it is indeed the wiring and not the HID kit. Maybe DDM is top shelf!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by Plutoe
My problem is that I do not know if this is an MB system or something that you added as an after thought----Is it an MB system??
The answer is in his post, and no 35W bulbs on OEM fog lights.
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
First off, I have 55w low beams and 35w fog lamps that up until a couple weeks ago were working perfectly. But without warning or reason, the passenger's side low beam went out and I assumed it was either the bulb or the ballast. I purchased 2 new bulbs and 2 new ballasts from DDM assuming one of those components had failed.
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
The driver's side low beam and both fog lights come on perfectly, sometimes the driver's side fog light will turn off once then come back on but that's generally not an issue, just an annoyance. But the passenger's side bulb would spark and try and try to light but it just wouldn't no matter what bulb or ballast combination I used. It would sit there and try to spark and the weird part is I could then hear the engine fan starting to cycle on when I had that hooked up, it was either that or load on the alternator but I believe it was the former. I unhooked it on that side and everything returned to normal, no indicators on the dash either way.

The second problem is the driver's side low beam, from time to time it will flicker but not turn on and off... rather it will "twinkle" for maybe 10 seconds that's noticeable only if you're behind another car or parking in the garage, then it will go solid again without any very slight flickering. I hate this and I also thought it was the ballast but now I'm thinking maybe I need to install a battery relay?? Maybe I need to get a wiring harness? Do I need to replace a fuse or have some wiring redone? Really concerned and not sure where to turn. Thanks for any ideas!
Why you don't try the capacitor trick, is working for me for more than 4 years:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...es-models.html
Old 12-14-2013, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Okay, I'll try that hopefully that will increase reliability and solve the problem with it. Really quite annoying.

Critter, I would but their customer support is terrible. I'm not demanding my money back because frankly to do so will cost me more money and time to ship it back and restock it than I already spent. However I did notice a bit of a sulfur smell from the headlight housing area only but it was very brief and I wasn't really sure it was related to that. The DDM kit does not come with its own inline fuse, so I will try that out. In the case I did fry the factory wiring (which is really surprising since I thought the factory halogens were 55w) is this something that is easy to replace? Thanks

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 12-14-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Sorry you're having trouble. Is your capacitor still working correctly? There was a relay you needed to buy and use in line to resolve issues with CANBUS stuff. I have had DDM HIDs in all the Benzs since I have owned them. I took one set out of a vehicle and used it in another.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yeah I did get the BOW3 error eliminators which I thought served that purpose. I'm just hoping I didn't fry the factory wiring O_o. I read on the UK Mercedes forum that one guy solved his issues by wiring two separate relays for each low beam headlight and that it both provided redundancy and eliminated his issues. Not sure how I would go about doing that as I was under the impression it had to be wired right back to the battery.