E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Diesel fuel leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Toyota Tundra DC 4X4 Limited
Diesel fuel leak

So I went to tackle the service on my new to me 2005 E320 CDI (69K miles)
I bought the car a bit over a month ago and there was no proof of service done so I figured I'd rather get it done and save me some agravation.
-Oil change with Mobil 1 0-40 MB genuine filter
-Replaced fuel filter MANN (see note below)
-Replaced air filter (MB genuine)
-Replaced Charcoal activated filter

About a week ago, I started to really notice a diesel fuel smell when walking around or by the benz, but didn't want to take things appart since I was waiting on the my Mighty Vac to arrive so I could do the service and check for leaks at the same time.

Today I had some "better" weather so I figure what better time to get this done.
To my surprise, I found a bad leak on the fuel filter, couldn't really tell if it was a bad hose clamp or a defective filter but the fact remains that the filter side of the motor was wet with diesel and even had a couple of nice puddles under it and on the bellypans

Since I was going to replace the filter anyway, I had all the parts I needed. Took the old one out, cleaned the spillage as best I could and isntalled the new filter.
By the way, I primed the filter and lines with my old $3.50 pump from Harbour Freight and the car started in the first crank with out any hesitation.

Then I did a little digging around and wasn't too happy to see the HP pump wet around the edges. It is hard to tell if the pump itself is begining to leak or if the wetnes is coming form the pump end of the fuel lines that seem to be wet right where they connect to the pump (har do see due to lack of space) See pics below, the coolant hose is dry but the metal tube and surrounding is a bit wet. No obvious leak with the engine running.

Should I start worrying about the HP pump or should I replace the fuel hoses first? It is hard to tell from viewing the parts.
Any input is greatly appreciated, specially from those who have had the same problem.
BTW, the previous owner was a 75 Y/O man who was happy enough with bringing the car for service, but the area under the hood seems to have never been cleaned. What is safe to use as a cleaner/degreaser under there?
I know it'll take time but i'd like to see the engine and engine compartmen squicky clean (OCD)

Cheers
Old 02-10-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Nothing wrong w/HPFP, only thing you have to replace is the O-ring that seals it in to the engine housing. I did this on my car twice because the OEM O-ring from MB start leaking after 5 months, so I did purchased one that is little bit bigger and is ok now.it is quite a job - fan shroud (POA) and serpentine belt comes out. You may want to change the belt and its pulleys since you are there.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:09 PM

THANKS

Originally Posted by isstay
Nothing wrong w/HPFP, only thing you have to replace is the O-ring that seals it in to the engine housing. I did this on my car twice because the OEM O-ring from MB start leaking after 5 months, so I did purchased one that is little bit bigger and is ok now.it is quite a job - fan shroud (POA) and serpentine belt comes out. You may want to change the belt and its pulleys since you are there.
I guess I will start gathering parts to do this when the warm weather hits. Sounds like a 1 day job. I need to replace one of the headlights as well so I guess that may be a good time to tackle this.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM

BTW isstay, do you have a part/parts numbers for this?
Thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by 65aircooled
BTW isstay, do you have a part/parts numbers for this?
Thanks
As I said, OEM o-ring did not work for me. I changed it back in May and again in October because it did start leaking oil again. I purchased O-ring little ticker than the OEM and installed it. It fit very tightly, actually I did put the pump in place using the bolts, not by hand how used to when I installed OEM O-ring, so I am not expecting anymore leaks from it.