E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 E320 whining noise making me nuts..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
2005 E320 whining noise making me nuts..

I bought my 2005 E320 just recently. it has a M112 3.2 engine, and 722.6 tranny.
I took it to the dealer, it has 150K on the odometer. Runs great. But the whining noise is making me nuts. I notice it when sitting still, while reving it up. It goes up with the rpm's. It sounds like its at the front of the engine.
I took it to the dealer and had them do a maintenance check up, and oil change, and told them about it. They told me its normal???
They then ended up changing the power steering pump when I went back and complained. And said if that didn't make the noise go away, they would eat the job. Well it didn't! And I was not refunded. Oh, they didn't charge me labor.
Okay, second time back, actually third, since they said nothing was wrong the first time. They changed the water pump for free! Wow, noise still there, but don't worry, nothing is wrong!
Fourth time back! They changed the tensioner pulley, and said, its fixed, and delivered the car. Noise still there!!!!!
Fifth time back, Master tech was put on the car. He claims there is nothing wrong with the car. He removed the belt, and used a shorter one to eliminate the A/C compressor, and then removed the belt completely. Said the noise was there with the belt off, and it's normal.
The only reason they went this far and seem nervous, is due to me calling Mercedes Main number!
Well, my car is still doing this. I am pissed! Here's a video clip of my engine. If this is normal for a E320, with a M112 engine, okay. But I find it odd.
Please can someone help me. I can't believe Benz would sale a car for 50K, and have a noise like this as normal.
Here's my engine while reving it up...Thanks!!

http://s136.photobucket.com/user/Pgh...tml?sort=6&o=9

Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,023 Likes on 951 Posts
1999 E300TD
Come on now, let's be honest--you have a nine year old car worth about 6000 bucks---I would say you are lucky that they replaced all that stuff on the cheap--so lets stop the whining and start looking for the source of the noise.

First you need two people---one on the pedal and the other one with his or her head under the hood----if you are the under hood person your objective is to use your ears to move around the engine compartment and locate within the engine area where you believe the noise is coming from-----once you preform that diagnostic check-----report back-----if you can't locate the source---you may have an issue not with your car but with your inner ear!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
Or get a muffler and cancel out that noise.. It just sounds like an engine revving up to me if I didn't know any better..
Old 02-24-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320 W211
I heard it in your video, that noise is not normal, I drive a 2003 E320 with 105k miles and it dose not make that noise, no car should make that noise unless there is something wrong.
Did you but this car from the Benz dealer? If so you should keep calling them until they fix it
Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
I stopped back today, and they put on a idler pulley. I did pay for it. The Master Tech took the belt off and the noise was still there. I will say for some reason the noise is a lot higher on my video. I guess the mic or something. The Tech has been at it for a long time. He did say the oil pump or timing chain may be making some noise, but no worrires. I dunno.
I bought it from a used lot, not at Benz. But I have all the service records from brand new. It was very well maintained. He told me to just keep driving it and it will be fine.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
IF the correct Power Steering fluid was not installed in the PS pump you will have whine and rapid pump wear. Use a suction gun pull our as much fluid as possible refill with correct fluid. Drive and make L and R turns. Then repeat. Do this about 3 times and you whine or (wine) will probably go away.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 Jetta TDI
If you really want to track down a noise go to a parts store and buy a mechanic's stethoscope for about $15. It will allow you to pinpoint all kinds of things.. Just be careful not to get the rod caught up in the belts or anything.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 320 Likes on 267 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by vettdvr
IF the correct Power Steering fluid was not installed in the PS pump you will have whine and rapid pump wear. Use a suction gun pull our as much fluid as possible refill with correct fluid. Drive and make L and R turns. Then repeat. Do this about 3 times and you whine or (wine) will probably go away.
He said the whine was there with the belts off.