E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 Stuck in Park with no Error Messages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E350 4matic
W211 Stuck in Park with no Error Messages

I have an '08 W211 that gets stuck in park. there are no error messages or warning lights. I have searched for days for a solution. There are many solutions or posts for non-W211.

My symptoms:
  • When stuck in park, I press the brake a few times or hold it down for a few seconds and the shifter is released
  • Sometimes the shifter isn't released quickly enough and I'll tap the manual unlock feature via the hole under the cup holder inserts
  • I replaced the Stop Light Switch (even though my brake lights were working) as suggested on other posts but that only fixed my key in ignition warning chirps as it wasn't chirping prior changing the switch

Now, I'm at a loss on next steps since I cannot locate advise or examples for a W211.

Is there a fix posted that I have overlooked?
Does anyone have a suggestion?
Does the W211 have the plastic shifter part that breaks in other models?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 PM

08 E350 4matic
90 views and no response...tells me this isn't a common issue for the W211.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Check shifter see attachment https://mbworld.org/forums/5920203-post4.html and rod if fine have someone with SDS check for fault code(s).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
soundproofing.pdf (110.0 KB, 409 views)
Old 05-02-2014, 01:15 PM

08 E350 4matic
Thanks konigstiger. I'll check it out.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Sometimes I have this issue where the mechanism sticks and if you force it a little bit it will unstick. Alternatively it can be an early warning sign of brake light indicator switch failure, even before errors show up.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:46 PM

08 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Sometimes I have this issue where the mechanism sticks and if you force it a little bit it will unstick. Alternatively it can be an early warning sign of brake light indicator switch failure, even before errors show up.
I can't force it. That doesn't work. New brake light switch previously installed. It's not the brake light switch.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
That narrows it down, it is probably the shifter gate itself with stuck mechanism/actuators.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:30 AM

08 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Check shifter see attachment https://mbworld.org/forums/5920203-post4.html and rod if fine have someone with SDS check for fault code(s).
I removed the shifter cover. Discovered that there was some apparent spillage of some type by the previous owner but it wasn't significant. Don't think it affected any components.

With the cover off, I turned on the car and pressed the brake pedal. There is a metal plunger behind the manual release (see picture) that moves inward temporarily (about 1 second) when the brake pedal is pressed and then immediately pops back out. I can shift into gear when the plunger moves inward but only within that 1 second window only.

The plunger also pops back out when the manual release is pressed but I can shift into gear as long as I keep my foot on the brake pedal. Not limited to 1 second.

Not sure what this all means. Need to have checked with an SDS.
Attached Thumbnails W211 Stuck in Park with no Error Messages-gear-shifter-manual-release-button-plunger.png  
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like you have a faulty brake light switch!!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 AM

08 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Sounds like you have a faulty brake light switch!!
That's what I thought as well. I changed the brake light switch prior to bringing this topic to the forum.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:56 AM

640i Gran Coupé
Originally Posted by mbnnrh
That's what I thought as well. I changed the brake light switch prior to bringing this topic to the forum.
Did it ever occur to you that the new switch may be faulty? It can happen.

Or maybe the connection to the switch is bad, or a problem exists in the wiring.

Stupid question I know, but have you considered taking it to the dealer?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:23 AM

08 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by beemer guy
Did it ever occur to you that the new switch may be faulty? It can happen.

Or maybe the connection to the switch is bad, or a problem exists in the wiring.

Stupid question I know, but have you considered taking it to the dealer?
Yes, I've considered the possibility that the new switch is bad as well. I'm hoping it's not the wiring. I've already repaired one wiring issue last week with the brake lights and license plate light. Now I've got an issue with the radiator/cooling fan not coming on. Well that will need to be a different thread.

Anyway, funny thing is that I've gotten the timing down between pressing the brake and moving the shifter. Anyone riding with me would never know that there is a problem. However, no one else can drive it without using the emergency release.

I'm considering a couple of independents near where I live. Its just that I hate to pay for something I can do myself.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:42 PM

Regarding your problem I had something similar ....
Switches do go bad , but in my case it was faulty wiring ,,, on Selector lever module you have two connectors and also on cover where you have p,d,n you have one connector....

from each of these connectors wires go to front driver SAM N10/1 (CONNECTOR I-7 )

I had problem with two wires yellow and blue wire I believe ....no continuity sometimes, I had two broken wires half way due toplacment of them inside of dash ....

How to check ?
First connector unplug on selector lever ,,,, yellow/white wire to yellow/white on Sam I-7

Second connector unplug on selector lever ,,, Blue/red wire to blue/red on Sam . ..

also your fan not coming on check front Sam N10/1 and N10/2 for fuses and relay