E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E320 totally dead then finally SAM questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
2003 E320 totally dead then finally SAM questions

Hello, I recently traveled to Florida during the heavy rains and my MB drivers side trunk was soaked with water. The push clips which retain the plastic pieces in the drainage channels on the outside of the trunk seal were the cause of the leak.

The rear SAM was completely drenched with water but I was not aware of it at that time. We left the car completely open for three hot sunny days to dry it out. The car continued to run fine for a few days but the dash display flashed several trouble issues saying to take to service department two of which was battery and power system issues. I bought a multi-meter and checked the battery voltage while running and while not running after sitting overnight. Both tests on both batteries were excellent. Since we were in Florida for only a few days for a funeral we were hoping that the car would get us home to KY.

Until!! I went out and tried the key and nothing in the car works and I mean nothing with the exception to the interior dome lights and the trunk lights.

Towed to the MB dealer of Tampa for troubleshooting after giving them a detailed description of what had happened to the vehicle and what the vehicle symptoms were. We went to the dealer the next day and the dealer had the entire bottom of the dash tore apart.

Now, my questions about the rear SAM.
1. Does this problem sound like it is caused by the rear SAM or is it more than likely something else?
2. Is the Rear SAM programed to be VIN specific or Option specific for the car?
3. Can I purchase a used Rear SAM with exactly the same part number as what is in my car and install it in my car making my car functional? In other words is it just a plug & play part If it is from the same year, make and model as my car?

Sorry this is so long but it kind of had to be.

Thank you, Andy
Old 05-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Are you trying to out guess or out diagnose the dealer---why are you asking and who told you about the rear SAM------in your post you stop at "the entire bottom of the dash tore apart"----forget about the SAM for now as that is not under the dash, it's under the rear passanger side of the seat-----my question is what does the dealer think as you are paying him big bucks!!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Plutoe, The rear SAM in a W211 is in the trunk on the drivers side not like where it is located on the W210. You mentioned the dash torn apart and SAM location. This part of the car was torn apart before addressing the obvious problem. We never had a problem with the car until the rear SAM got wet in this rain storm.

As for out guessing the dealer. Well, The water intrusion was in the trunk and I would figure that since a major component which controls functions of all of the systems which the digital display was showing are handled by that module that they would start troubleshooting there. Instead they came to me trying to force me to buy a $300+ new key for the car when my key functioned perfectly and had brand new batteries in it prior to them receiving the car. After they excepted the fact that they were not going to shove that down my throat they took a few minutes talking away from me (the service sales reps in the service reception area) they came back and told me that I needed a $1300.00 ignition switch. Now please tell me (anyone) how if the dash and everything which normally comes on when you get into the car is not functioning how will buying a key or an ignition, which don't come into play until you stick the key into the ignition going to make everything magically work? Do you see what is happening here?

I wanted my car fixed quickly since I was stranded in Tampa Florida (I live in Kentucky).

First of all I have been working on vehicles for over 35 years and am Master ASE Certified in 3 different fields to include automotive and medium / heavy truck and School bus all of which extensively cover electronics and electrically controlled chassis and drivetrains. So I am not going into this blind. I just feel that since the dealer found out that this is an insurance claim that they are getting way off base. For example: They are telling my insurance company in the estimate that they need to remove the entire interior of the car so that they can dry it out ($800.00). The trunk of the car is the only section of the car which got wet.

You did ask who told me about the rear SAM. The first day I was there and saw the bottom of the dash torn apart the service sales rep asked a technician to come out and explain things to me. Due to my experience and inquisitiveness I asked the tech if there were any computers or modules in the trunk which could have been damaged. He stated that there wasn't anything in the trunk. During the earlier conversation around the car he mentioned a front and rear SAM but was of course vague about specifics. When I returned to our hotel room I researched the SAM's functions and found that indeed the W211 rear SAM was in the trunk and actually directly under where the leak was.

As for paying the dealer big bucks? My bill is still reasonable because I have refused to purchase things like a key or an ignition.

My reason for coming here is to see if someone here might have the insight or experience with such a completely blank and inoperable dash and car when the batteries are fully charged. To tell you the truth I am hoping that someone can provide me with insight as to what else would cause such a devastating problem.