E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

MBUSA Survey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
MBUSA Survey

I recieved a phone call from my service advisor...I thought that they had a fix for one of my problems and wanted me to bring the car in for the fix.....NOT.

He advised me that I would be getting a survey in the mail soon and it was very important to him that he recieved the highest scores. He first acknowledged that he knows that I have had some on going problems with the car (nice of him) but stated that if I would bring the survey to him not filled out he would comp me a full detail on my car.

Then he said if MBUSA calls me regarding the survey, do not tell them that (we) had called you giving you a heads up that it would be coming.

Last edited by CaptMike; 12-05-2003 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Survey

If you are as satisfied as he says you should be, take the card to him and get the free detail If not, DONT DO IT. This is a very cheap way of the service department to give them good scores. If they give you a hard time for not bringing them the card, go to another dealer. As a matter of fact, I would call MBUSA and ask them what they think of your dealer's policy.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
just tell him to fix the car, make the customer satisfied and he will get the highest score and you will get the free detailed wash!!
Old 12-05-2003, 12:43 PM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
i did that on my old CLK and the detail sucked and the car was never fixed...dont sell out....

teach MB a lesson that quality is lacking
Old 12-05-2003, 04:03 PM

2003 E500
How soon does MBUSA send out the surveys after a service? I have a lot to say about a particular visit.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
I would detail my own vehicle before I would take it to a stealership for a detail.

A detail costs them ZERO and seems more like a slap in the face than anything else. Don't you already receive free carwashes for purchasing a new E-Class?

I would ask him how much the survey is worth to him...

I mean, he could at least give you something of real value and benefit to you. For example, any one or combination of these items, all less than $200 (when you take into account MB's actual cost for the item):

Basic Carrier - Roof Mounted details $224.00

Bicycle Carrier details $189.00

Ski/Snowboard Carrier details $100.00

Tilt-down Ski Rack details $165.00

Surfboard Rack details $143.00

Sheepskin Seat Covers details $259.00 (my choice)

Mud Flaps details $81.00

Rear Seat Cover details $96.00

Floor Mats details $109.00

All Season Floor Mats details $79.00

Sunshade details $59.00

Car Cover details $229.00
Old 12-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Re: MBUSA Survey

He advised me that I would be getting a survey in the mail soon and it was very important to him that he recieved the highest scores.
Here we go again, members, members wake up !!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=52549
Old 12-05-2003, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
This is the very reason that the service sucks at some dealerships. Rather than give the service deserved by the customers, they try to use slick tactics to get ratings they do not deserve.

I would fill the survey out honestly and attach a cover letter saying exactly what you said in your first post. Let MBUSA figure out if they care or not. As long as customers go along with this cheezy used car dealer tactics, the service from the dealers will not change.

The guy knows he is giving lousy service or he would not try to have you give a dishonest survey.

____
Ed
Old 12-06-2003, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Lightbulb Hold on to your survey

Until the problem has been resolved.

Use the survey as your leverage to receive prompt service. This is your best time now to get the service department to pay immediate attention to your problem!
Old 12-06-2003, 10:28 AM

2003 E320
I have read all the replies to date as well as all of the links that some have provided and decided not to let the dealer fill out the survey in exchange for anything.

I called MBUSA and told them what was offered to me. She asked me for my VIN #, which I decided not to give her as I wanted to remain anonymous. I did mention the name of the dealer to her. She stated that there was not much she could do in regards to documenting this in the computer without a VIN # but she would talk to her sup. to see if there was another way to document it. She also said they are well aware of the tactics being used by the dealers regarding surveys
Old 12-06-2003, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Mike....why not step up to the plate? What do you think the offending dealer can do if you are honest with MBUSA?

If there is another dealer in the area you can go to him for service.

I would bet that your treatment at your dealer would improve if you gave MBUSA your VIN number and crap hit the fan at the dealership.

I know they are idiots but I would not think that they would further offend you with poor service based on your report, knowing that you will report it again to MBUSA
Old 12-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
What it is, is what it is. The dealer has wiggle room because of all the others who gave in and submitted or had them (dealer) submit the survey. Think of this as franchiser / franchisee matter. You have documented an abundance of excellent ratings (sales & service) and one or two customers complain are you going to bite off the hand that feeds you? A local dealership in my area has gone through two management teams both in sales & service because of verbal complaints. Guess what, same old, same old. DO NOT rate anything better than average - ever! A unified effort nationwide is the ONLY thing that will change all our current concerns. As for one repair, sure do the best you can locally to get it done with satisfacton but when it comes time to DOCUMENT the incident do it in a way that detriments are recorded as suggested in my link. MB is looking very hard at customer satisfaction now - publicity and all. DO NOT give the dealers leverage - at all. I know this seems extreme but believe me this is the only way we can change things.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:32 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
With all due respect, I don't want my dealer to change things. It's the most enjoyable and competent service I have ever had, comparing dozens of dealers and cars; things are resolved quickly; and they are a pleasure to work with. No problems with the car, either, which would warrant any mark downs.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by jim256
With all due respect, I don't want my dealer to change things. It's the most enjoyable and competent service I have ever had, comparing dozens of dealers and cars; things are resolved quickly; and they are a pleasure to work with. No problems with the car, either, which would warrant any mark downs.
OK, you're umm “one (1)”. Let’s see if we can justify that my recommendation is wrong. If the members of this board can prove to me and their fellow members that, as a majority, they’re TOTALLY WITHOUT QUESTION satisfied – well then I stand corrected … all due respect.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Jim...I have had the same experience. BUT, I would never let the dealer fill out my survey or to buy a good rating under any conditions.

I think the point here is that bad service (and bribes to cover it up) should be exposed.

By all means give your service department top marks if they deserve it. And.....let MBUSA know if the opposite is true.

I think that one of the main problems that many are experiencing is that the large corporate companies are now buying up Mercedes Dealerships at a huge rate. Autonation, Lithia, etc are all buying MB dealerships to go along with the hundreds of low end brands that they usually own.
They bring the same cut throat management style with them and it is starting to show in many of the posts we see.

It would be interesting to see what type of ownership is involved in the dealerships that offer the poor service and quality.

If you put Ford or Chevy management in charge of a Mercedes sales or service department....you are not going to get the quality service that you would expect.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:27 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Ed: I agree with your comments, and I never suggested anyone return their survey to the dealership. Mine never asked me to--all they do (and I've posted this before) is send me a postcard or letter and ask me to let them resolve any problems before I return the survey. That's certainly fair. I don't understand, however, a suggestion to "DO NOT rate anything better than average - ever! A unified effort nationwide is the ONLY thing that will change all our current concerns." Honesty and integrity work both ways--I'm just saying that if they earn it, they deserve it. High or low; and bribes to return surveys to employees should be reported. For all the customer knows, it could be done by the employee without the dealer/owner's knowledge.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Ed: I agree with your comments, and I never suggested anyone return their survey to the dealership. Mine never asked me to--all they do (and I've posted this before) is send me a postcard or letter and ask me to let them resolve any problems before I return the survey. That's certainly fair. I don't understand, however, a suggestion to "DO NOT rate anything better than average - ever! A unified effort nationwide is the ONLY thing that will change all our current concerns." Honesty and integrity work both ways--I'm just saying that if they earn it, they deserve it. High or low; and bribes to return surveys to employees should be reported. For all the customer knows, it could be done by the employee without the dealer/owner's knowledge.
I agree. Fill it out yourself and tell it like it is. If you are satisfied and happy...reflect it in your survey.
As a matter of fact, I gave my dealer high marks as they deserve it. My dealer did the same as yours...just asked for a chance to resolve any problems I have before I return the survey.

But.....I would not give any higher marks than they deserve under any condition. I would be very concerned if they were asking me to lie or to let them send it in themself for some small doodad. This would be dishonest on both sides.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
If things were different as they concern the whole of dealers nationwide I would most certainly agree with you. Believe me, I am not trying to harm, degrade, or insult. All I’m saying is, as a unified customer base, we must establish a level playing field. A benchmark if you will. In reading over and over, time and time again of dissatisfaction (no matter what the degree) it tells me that MB, the dealerships, and we the customers are being short changed. I’m suggesting with average & satisfactory ratings, once again, to establish a benchmark - a nationwide starting point to recovery. Bring the MB brand reputation back to where it used to be as stipulated throughout these forums by members who have years of purchases under their belt. Think about this in its simplest terms. The dealerships serve you in the choices available for purchase, and they serve you in keeping said purchase sound. The dealership treats you well in both purchase and service. No problems. How does this rate excellent, extraordinary, fantastic, fabulous, marvelous, wonderful, and so forth and so on? Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this, in fact, more or less what they should be doing normally? Let’s approach this from another angle. The dealerships are there to serve. Down in the trenches of the various service industries, say telecommunications, the local baby bell tech that repairs your phone. On the basis of performance and quality they are rated satisfactory and average if they meet what is expected of them. If they exceed what is normally expected of them, then they are rated outstanding. Please do not try to tell me that a dealership is excellent just because they perform as they normally should. If I understand you correctly, it’s outstanding that the milkman actually delivered the correct number of containers. It’s outstanding that the car wash people actually cleaned your car. It’s outstanding that your dinner was served without problem. Once the meaning of satisfactory and average is understood and as such benchmarked then, and only then can we start weeding and reward those who “truly” deserve our excellent rating. Once we establish a bona fide benchmark to act as a staring point, then and only then can we bring this courtroom to order. Do not underestimate our power and by no means give up the most powerful tool we have.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:00 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
Maybe if we share some good experiences, it will add to the discussion. Here's what I get all the time: Service advisor on my team has been there over 15 years in that job, service appointments within a day or so of when I call for routine matters, immediate if I have a problem. Loaner when appropriate, no questions asked, MB if they know I'm coming, Dodge (their other store) if they do not. Car to use if I'm waiting but don't have a need for a loaner but just something to use to run out for lunch. Free valet pickup & return of the car to your home/business if you live locally (I do not). Free shuttle to area offices and shopping. Immaculate service area. Extremely pleasant people, everyone says hello as they pass in the hallways and see you in the lounge. Service techs with no greasy clothes (how they do it, I don't know). Updates from the service adviser as they work on the car. The tech comes to see you up front if he has any question about what happened (Often the service advisor has him come up when you check in if needed, or the tech finds you in the lounge--no miscommunication that way). Car fully protected, clean when I get it back. Washed if I want, but no wash if I don't. They have always (3 cars) met their promises on turnaround of the car and I've never had a comeback on anything fixed. 2 York peppermint patties when you sign at the cashier. Car brought around and parked in a safe, no-ding, spot for my pickup. And the place looks like a Mercedes facility, both inside and out. New MB-only sales building under construction. They always follow-up with a post card on any service visit, requesting that you rate them and send it back. The Operations manager at the dealership produces an employee newsletter monthly--copies are left out for the customers. I used to be in the service business, and he's reinforcing all the good traits you want. Each employee, during their birthday month, goes to lunch with the owner at a local restaurant, and you can tell there is a sincere desire on the part of each person I have met to do the best they possibly can to serve you. Father of the present owner opened the business in the 20's--obviously in for the long haul. I'm just pointing out that there are really, really good dealers out there. I've had 37 new cars, and it just could not be much better than this.

Last edited by jim256; 12-07-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Naturally, I would like to hear from other "customers" who have purchased or received service from this dealership. But if all is as you say, and I'm not quite convinced that it is, common sense would come into play and a better than average or satisfactory rating would be justified. However, there is always room for improvement that is to say the bar should always be raised to better that which we already have. Excellent is that absolute very best. This rating means it cannot get better. Can you honestly, in every respect say that absolutely nothing can be improved in respect to every aspect of your relationship with this dealership? If so, in your opinion they're excellent and we'll leave it alone. Now how do we improve the remaing dealerships?
Old 12-07-2003, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
I still say that a large part of the dealer service degradation is due to the acquistion of MB dealerships by the large dealer corporations.

They have been buying MB and BMW dealerships all across the country and the slimeball methods are showing themselves in int sales and service departments of these dealerships.

I have had great service from my dealer. It is still local and family owner. I hear rumors that Autonation is trying to acquire it.
I feel sure that horrible changes will occur if this happens.

Maybe some of those with poor dealer experience can check and see who actually owns them. It would be interesting to know how many of the bad ones are Corporate owned.

Last edited by etenn; 12-07-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:14 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
konigstiger: Why you would interject "But if all is as you say, and I'm not quite convinced that it is"------ I have no idea. Why would I bother posting all that detail if it were not so? 3 consecutive cars from them, so I think I know the drill there. But, perhaps on that basis there is no reason to continue this thread.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
There are plenty of dealership personnel that frequent these forums. In reading these forums, every now and again strategic verbage brings them out. If it's in their best interest, they're readily available to render support. There I said it! By all means move on to other subject matter if that's your intent. However, before you go, as a matter of curiousity, I ask that you visit another or several other dealers in your area or during your travels. It is just possible that you might witness what countless others are complaining about. I envy you my friend, you have been blessed with the perfect dealer.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by etenn
I still say that a large part of the dealer service degradation is due to the aqquistion of MB dealerships by the large dealer corporations.
And you may vey well be CORRECT sir! However, the bigger they are, the harder they fall - if done legally and correctly that is. Oh, I better mention by fall I mean improve their attitude as it pertains to their customers.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
konigstiger:

I am confused. It sounds as if you believe that ALL dealers give less than good service. That simply is not true. You must have had a very bad experience based on your posts.

Many people have had very bad (and dishonest) service from their dealer.

Both Jim and myself have had excellent service. It does sound like you did not believe Jim

I agree that the bad service from dealers should be strongly reflected in the survey. Good service should get the same consideration.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBUSA Survey