E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help: Replacing rear vents in console and can't remove ashtray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320 w211
Help: Replacing rear vents in console and can't remove ashtray

Hi, I am trying to replace the rear vent on the console and looked up the procedure on bayhas, but cannot seem to remove the lower storage compartment/ashtray/12volt. Bayhas says to just take it out using a plastic wedge. Well tried that and I can get both sides off and detach the top but no matter how hard I pull, push or shove the bottom simply does not seem to budge. Am I missing something, like a hidden screw? Do I need to remove the drawer first?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...le/page_17981/ (pages 17981 -17983)
Old 06-23-2014, 01:29 PM

2003 e320 w211
Thanks konigstiger! Your responses to other questions by others have helped me as well! The procedure is quite a bit more involved than the resource I was using suggested! the shop manual seems essential.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM

2003 e320 w211
I looked over the workshop manual link you provided (thanks again) along with other related pages and still am a bit lost. My car has the phone preinstall, with two coiled electrical leads in the center consol connected to the cover. I looked up the specific pages for that version but I find it confusing because the instructions seem circular: it seems like you have to remove the cover assembly to remove the interior lining of the center stowage bin to remove the lower rear drawer/12v to get at the rear nozzle, but the page to remove the cover says you you need to remove the nozzle first.

Perhaps the issue is that I can't seem to figure out how to remove the central consol storage bin liner. I can get a plastic trim wedge under the lip but can't figure out where it releases. It seems to slid under the trim toward the front, and pretty tight under the hinge for the cover. I'm pretty mechanical but this is very hard to figure out, at least in part because so many connections are hidden.

It almost seems like I have to remove the entire center consol to get to the rear nozzle eventually.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Gullwingdreams
It almost seems like I have to remove the entire center consol to get to the rear nozzle eventually.
You can remove the rear vents without dissembling the entire console, but it makes things easier
if you just take it apart, rather then fighting with it.

On the later console, you first have to remove the ashtray & gearshift surround....then you can
remove the section of the console that will allow you access the screw securing the lower
storage compartment/12v outlet.

But on the earlier console it looks like there are a few more steps involving removing the cup
holder, armrest lid & interior compartment separately.

http://bayhas.com/mercedes/w211/cont...terconsole.htm
Attached Thumbnails Help: Replacing rear vents in console and can't remove ashtray-013.jpg