E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2004 W211 E55 AMG SBC PUMP Failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
2004 W211 E55 AMG SBC PUMP Failure?

I bought the car it was running fine started to look it over and do maintenance. I change the brakes after changing the brakes and starting the car i get an ABS message and also Stop vehicle reduced power. Something along the lines of that. the car can only go 60-64mph now and the brake dont start braking untill about 75% of the way down. Codes have been reset but just come right back on.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Check production date. SBC system is covered for 10 years.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C300 Coupe
When you say you changed the brakes, do you mean the pads only or did you also replace the calipers? Did you attempt to bleed the system? Did you de-activate, or un-plug, the sbc system before the procedure? What codes did you get?

Providing a more complete picture of your problems/procedures will increase the likelyhood of getting useful advice/information from the forum.

Originally Posted by Speedriven1
Check production date. SBC system is covered for 10 years.
SBC warranty is 10 years from "in service" date. Find out when the factory warranty first went into effect...it's 10 years from that date...at least that's my understanding.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by SorryAboutThat
When you say you changed the brakes, do you mean the pads only or did you also replace the calipers? Did you attempt to bleed the system? Did you de-activate, or un-plug, the sbc system before the procedure? What codes did you get?

Providing a more complete picture of your problems/procedures will increase the likelyhood of getting useful advice/information from the forum.

SBC warranty is 10 years from "in service" date. Find out when the factory warranty first went into effect...it's 10 years from that date...at least that's my understanding.

Seen it done both ways. I'm assuming depends on the dealer(service writer)
Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 PM

04 E55 AMG
If it is your SBC unit, this says it was a recall. I don't think there is a time limit. (I could be wrong.)

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=7280

"Note:
Every vehicle in the VIN range may not be included in the campaign. VMI must always be
checked before performing campaigns to verify that the campaign is required on a specific vehicle. VMI always overrides the bulletin in reference to a specific vehicle's inclusion in a particular campaign.
Please also note that Recall and Service Campaigns do not expire and may also be performed on a vehicle with a vehicle status indicator.

Last edited by angryduc; 07-17-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Banned

Speedriven
That's a separate recall. The sbc system itself is warrantied for 10 years. Meaning pump, lines and so on.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 AM

04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
That's a separate recall. The sbc system itself is warrantied for 10 years. Meaning pump, lines and so on.
Thanks for the information. I am dealing w/ this issue as well.

"Service Break Maintenance Visit Shop". Searched forums found this SBC issue and headed to my dealership prior to ten years from the date vehicle was originally bought. Dealer told me it wasn't my SBC pump that I needed to change my brake fluid. I had them change the brake switch under the dash to save a trip if that was what it was. Didn't get rid of my alert message but I was $130 lighter

It's a previously owned 2004 E55 so I use my own mechanic. My mechanic tells me it is throwing a code "C2101" and sends me back to Mercedes because it is a dealer only inspection. Notably the 10yr point from original service has now elapsed.

The history on my car shows something related to this issue was performed back in 2006. There were several attempts to fix this issue by MB one of which included "recode ing" once the SBC was recoded it would receive a green dot. My SBC unit seemed to have this dot. Unclear at this point which exact they performed. Assuming they did everything correctly to recode it to switch to a useless "hydraulic mode". Nonetheless, the above release says "recall" and provides a set of procedures to follow. At the end of those procedures if the code still exists (see pg. 11) it instructs to remove and install:

"In the event DAS indicates that the SBC hydraulic unit requires replacement after inspecting SBC
connector terminals, refer to WIS: AR42.46-P-0010R (Model 211)..."

That is a recall not a warranty I believe. I have presented this to my service tech at the dealer who admitted this presented a different issue than the warranty alone question looking into it.

If you are familiar with this issue I am interested in your advice with the dealer.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by angryduc; 07-18-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Given SBC extended warranty expired and vehicle is not normally serviced at MB dealer doubt MBUSA will offer goodwill assistance to replace unit. Having said this, read through related material in the hope of finding something previously missed by dealer concerning applicable recalls – details i.e.: VIN range, installed part #, etc. Review Vehicle Master Inquiry (VMI) with dealer confirming work performed. DTB 42.46/53 (repair only covered during warranty) documents internal fault and recommends unit replacement. Several members mentioned that in their case for fault C2101 dealer replaced faulty pressure reservoir/accumulator (FWIW EPC shows part 0004301394) noting the part is not covered by recall or SBC warranty.

http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...kshop_message/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SBC.pdf (234.1 KB, 690 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 07-18-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:08 PM

04 E55 AMG
Thanks for all your help. My service tech has advised me they will cover it. I am not sure why. I would note when I brought the vehicle in during the warranty period it did have a red screen.

"Note: If the diagnostic fault code C2101 occurs without a red warning message in the instrument cluster, then the fault code can be ignored and erased.
This erroneous fault is the result of a diagnostic communication issue with STAR Diagnosis and the SBC control unit."

Hopefully this information will be helpful to someone else. I also appreciate my service tech .

Very helpful community.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by angryduc
Thanks for all your help. My service tech has advised me they will cover it. I am not sure why. I would note when I brought the vehicle in during the warranty period it did have a red screen.

"Note: If the diagnostic fault code C2101 occurs without a red warning message in the instrument cluster, then the fault code can be ignored and erased.
This erroneous fault is the result of a diagnostic communication issue with STAR Diagnosis and the SBC control unit."

Hopefully this information will be helpful to someone else. I also appreciate my service tech .

Very helpful community.
Congrats! it shows that the dealer isn't all that bad