Base System Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Base System Rear Speakers

Hey guys,

I am a relatively new owner of a 2003 E500. Unfortunately, the car does not have the HK rig, and the sound has never been amazing. Recently, I blew the speakers in the rear deck. Although I would love to improve the quality, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I would be happy with just getting it back up to the base-line audio quality.

I know next to nothing about car audio, but am a big DIYer. A local shop quoted me around $200-$250 to replace them for me.

Is this something I should try and do on my own? If so, what kind of speakers should I look for? Any suggestions on where to get them?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Depending on your precise model/year you may be able to pick up OEM speakers on Ebay for around $50-$60 each. Replacing door speakers involves removing door panels, usually held in place with Torx screws, releasing door handle cable and carefully disconnecting cables and plugs. Care needs to be exercised while peeling off sound insulation (around the speaker area) so you can reuse it. Then turn speaker housing counter clockwise to release from the door, disengage two speaker plugs (woofer/tweeter). A little unsoldering on the rear of woofer from the speaker housing followed by unscrewing speaker screws then pushing speaker out from the housing (needs some force due to sticky insulation between speaker and housing). Replace speaker, solder connections on rear and follow steps in reverse.