Known gearbox noise/vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 04:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 e320cdi
Known gearbox noise/vibration

Hello,
I know there are tons of posts about the problem. I just want to explain my case and to see your good opinion. Sorry for long explanation and my english. I'm just tired from this problem and need help.

I bought the car one year ago, 130k Miles. After while i saw that when push the throttle, the RPMs not increase, but start to varies(increase/decrease few times). I didn't know what is the condition of ATF. I went to gearbox service and they told me that the problem is TORQUE CONVERTER.

Except RPMs varies problem, there was another problem. In DAS appears error in gearbox p2505(The gear is implausible or the transmission is slipping). Sometimes on 1st or 2nd gear, on low RPMs, gearbox upshift without no reason and go to LIMP mode. It was very strange, because car goes on second gear, with 1300-1500rpms and up shift gear.

I went to the service for TC reconditioning. After the service...
- RPMs varies - fixed
- p2505 error - not fixed
- Gearbox vibration/noise - NEW PROBLEM

About p2505 problem, i change gearbox electri unit. From the service told me that my el. unit is not ok, and i replaced it. I found substitute for my car, different code, but ok for my car. Error code disappear!

Gearbox vibration/noise still there... It's appear on very low RPM, when not pushing the throttle, almost idleing. For example, when gear is on 1200,1300 RPMs I think there is no difference between cold and in optimal temp.
Also i think that torque converter is always locked and the car shift up to early, no metter the car is climbing. I was driving with 5 persons, full trunk and tank, climbing and the car shift up so goes on 1300/1500RPMS. When push the throttle(little, no to change gear down) nothing happen. No slipping. Just like car with manual gearbox and you drive it on high gear with low rpms - no torque, no power. Gearbox is slipping only when start, and after while, lock up clutch. No metter it is on 1st gear.

I'm not sure what type of ATF is in, after TC recond. I checked the level of ATF - it's ok.

I saw a lot of different ideas in forums.
- change torque converter lock up solenoid
- problem in RPM sensors
- wrong ATF type - same problem like mine - so to change ATF with MB spec.
- Glycol in transmission - i don't think, because if there was glycol, when recond TC they would say about this.

I'm ready to give more precise explanation and to answer on every question.. I just want to fix this problem. I don't think that it's normal to drive Mercedes with problem like this.. "The best or nothing"
Old 08-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Remember you have and old car and be ready for things to go wrong(need loads of (shekels)!!

Regarding vibration---put the car on a lift, with you in the drives seat and duplicate the rpms while a real mechanic is under the car watching the transmission mount and or the complete drive train for running out of round conditions!!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the car to a mechanic, and have him diagnose the problem. It's best to know what you need to replace, and not spend money on parts that you might not need.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 e320cdi
I don't want to go to mechanic without any ideas.
This weekend i drive in mountain roads. I think there is another problem. When climbing, the gearbox change on higher gear too early, so car drive on 1200,1300 RPMs. I saw in other forums, there are sensors which help for climbing to not go shifts on low RPMs and also to slip more, not to lock up torque conv.