Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by MPOW33R
Multiple AMG Certified techs have told and advised me

" IF YOU HAVE NEVER CHANGED YOUR ATF , DO NOT CHANGE YOUR ATF"

I have 185,000 miles on the ORIGINAL ATF !!!
Purrs like kitten. Shifts like butter.
The fluid will last the life of the transmission.

However if you want the transmission to last longer change the fluid with the correct type as listed in the owners manual.

Otherwise the fluid is sealed in for life.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 402 Likes on 337 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by vettdvr
The fluid will last the life of the transmission.

However if you want the transmission to last longer change the fluid with the correct type as listed in the owners manual.

Otherwise the fluid is sealed in for life.

Does the fluid last the life of the transmission, or does the transmission last the life of the fluid?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by JoeNobody
Mercedes said the 7 speed should never have its fluid changed...then they later changed their stance and now say you should change the fluid.

5 speed is the same. If your trans fluid is cooked or full of metal bits, it cannot work and your trans is slowly tearing itself apart from the friction.

My transmission was misbehaving a lot, and after changing fluid twice and carefully filling using Mercedes trans dipstick, it's now driving excellent again.

Be sure you order the special trans dipstick!! Otherwise you are guessing how much fluid to pour in, and this alone is dangerous to the transmissions health.

Audi said the same about their ZF 5 speeds from around 2000.
ZF NEVER said it was lifetime fluid. Go figger??

P.S. I thought it was the 5 speeds that MB said were "Lifetime", and the 7speeds got the one change at 39K to 42K.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Anecdotal evidence is fascinating, but let's talk science for a while:

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and Crankcase Engine Oil (CEO) are very different.

CEO deteriorates due to several factors including heating,
which causes it to break down,
and exposure to combustion products which it absorbs.
Contamination is mitigated, but not eliminated, by filtering.

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase is not a tightly closed system as gases are taken in and expelled as regards blow-by and crankcase ventilation systems.

An Automatic Transmission is a tightly closed system, so the only contaminants to the ATF would be debris from friction of internal components.
If ATF contamination was an unavoidable major concern on the order of magnitude of engine oil contamination, there would be an ATF filtering system employing ATF filters analogous to engine oil filers.
The friction causes heat, but nothing anywhere near the temperatures caused by the combustion that CEO is exposed to.

After an "initial break-in" period, if a transmission is contaminating the ATF with debris, that transmission design has serious issues.

So what above warrants anything more than one initial ATF change?

Last edited by Honcho; 09-06-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: tried to eliminate double "Crankcase" caused by the link
Old 09-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

The composition of the ATF, including friction modifiers degrades over time with temp and use (shearing of the fluid).
Yes, friction material contamination is greatest in eth early phases of life, so whatever you a first change is warranted earlier then the on-going change interval.
I am using numbers from ZF as there design and technology is very similar to our MB transmissions.
They say 50K to 80K or 8 years as a maximum life for ATF.
Less if used in hard.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Once the "issues" start, so have the problems.

Hence the reconfirmation of the idea the change caused the problem.

People drive till they notice the start of a failing transmission, THEN change the fluid and when it fails they blame the change.
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to update. I now have 295K miles on the car and the issues popped back up again. Changing the filter, fluid and crush washer again. When it is changed, I imagine we will be back to smooth shifting. These transmissions are pretty well built.