E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Black Box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
Black Box

Is there a Black Box in the W211. Just curious as I know some vehicles (ie. GM) have these boxes that records your driving habits. Some say it's invading your privacy.......
Old 12-22-2003, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Black Box

Originally posted by LIONHEAD
Is there a Black Box in the W211. Just curious as I know some vehicles (ie. GM) have these boxes that records your driving habits. Some say it's invading your privacy.......
i might be way off, but i think i remember seeing another thread about this, and for some reason i remember someone saying all cars have it dunno though
Old 12-22-2003, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
No disrespect intended lionhead, but I'm wondering why your worried about your privacy yet you show pictures of your home and cars on the web for everyone to see....... As I understand it most all cars in the U.S have these "black boxes" installed... I believe law enforcement use them for accident investigations when there are fatalities involed.... Then of course there are the one's you can purchase to keep them damn kids in line Not sure if the germans are using these or not.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
I dont think anybody is going to find where he lives by looking at his house in a tiny picture. It doesnt show all of the house or anything. Now if you happen to drive by the house and it just so happens the garage is open, then you might be in luck. But what are the chances of that happening.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 PM

M5
There is a difference

between someone voluntarily showing off a portion of his house on a web site, vs. a black box lurking in his car, keeping track of all kinds of data that could incriminate him....it's called freedom or the lack of it!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:23 PM

'06 SL65
Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
No disrespect intended lionhead, but I'm wondering why your worried about your privacy yet you show pictures of your home and cars on the web for everyone to see....... As I understand it most all cars in the U.S have these "black boxes" installed... I believe law enforcement use them for accident investigations when there are fatalities involed.... Then of course there are the one's you can purchase to keep them damn kids in line Not sure if the germans are using these or not.
I have no problems with these black boxes as I think it's also a good protection for the car manufacturers in case of an accident to release them from any fault of defects. Reason I was asking was because it was such a big debate on another forum when I owned the Vette as the black box was installed on '99+ Corvettes. I was just curious if the W211 had these black boxes.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:41 PM

NO - Mercedes opted not to have the black box installed

I read somewhere that Mercedes choose not to have the black box installed in its cars. I believe it was in a USAToday automotive feature article on the subject within the past 60 days. Maybe someone can do an archive search and come up with the precise article.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
I agree with you kocsis.... I guess there are different degree's of privacy some are willing to give or give-up and most are not willing to give personal info when its not knowingly given, ie the black box.... Lets take it one step further.... The onstar system and your nav system, etc... I'm sure these are far more damning then the black box ever was as far as your privacy..... Personaly I have no problems with the black box or alike as I have nothing to hide. The systems are here to serve us and may help us get out of false aligations in an accident or worse.... But then again.... If I were driving a 434 hp vette I may not want one of those black boxes..... Again lionhead, no disrespect bro....