E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Are automatic car washes that bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS
Are automatic car washes that bad?

Automatic car washes have got a bad name - but with changes in technology is that still justified? I would be interested in any views you have -

Marc
Old 12-11-2003, 08:33 AM

W211 & Q7
it depends on the equipment -- I tried them and found a good one.

of course, the best way is wash and wax your car by yourself.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:03 AM

2003 E500
Brushless is better, depending how well they filter and recycle the water. Brushes will almost guarantee swirls and light scratches that will be very noticeable on a dark color. Horror stories abound on detailing websites. Most of those guys wouldn't put their car through any car wash even if their life depended on it. Personally, I wouldn't either. Now that the weather is colder I am hunting for a good self-service place.

Otto is correct. Wash it yourself. Get some good car shampoo, proper wash mitts and drying towels and apply wax or sealant. Also, this is a good way to discover chips, etc. and keep on top of it.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:23 PM

be careful with the tire guides in these auto car washes. the stock wheels are even just enough with the tires that you could scratch a rim. if it's the kind you drive in, you should be ok.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:28 PM

1995 S320V
marc777

Marc why do you think all car washes have a sign that says,
"not responsible for damage"?
Old 12-11-2003, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
There is an automatic near me that is entirely bushless. Only water and soap every touches your car. High powered nozzles deliver the water and cleaning action. I can't see that as being too bad, since it is true, that you will get swirl marks through a brush based car wash.

Having said that, it is also important to know the tolerances of your paint color. Black should be hand washed at all costs. Silver you can get away with a lot more.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 PM

E500
"BRUSHLESS" does not necessarily equal more gentle or less scratches. It's not so much the medium (brush, cloth, etc.) but rather the dirt and other particles and contaminants that are on your paint that do the damage.

Apply high pressure (brushless) and you might as well rub sand paper on your paint.

Furthermore, it's not only what the equipment does or doesn't do but more importantly what those minimum wage, untrained workers do after your vehicle comes out of the wash and they proceed to dry it.

Are they reusing towels they used on the previous car?

Have they dried the wheel wells, door jambs and then gone back to the painted surface with the same cloth?

Get the picture?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you want this?

http://vraa.gotdns.com/Pictures/11-30-03%20SL%20washed/

or this?

Case solved.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:21 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
The brushless washes use a much stronger chemical base to dislodge the dirt, accompanied with the extraordinary high pressure. The evidence of the chemical strength lies in the final rinse "no spot" rinse cycle that actually is a wax coat. ( Does wonder for your windshield over time)

The fact is that the wash folks met with the auto folks and the washes are running the wax to preserve the clear coat and the auto people are chemically making sure the washes will not destroy the clear coat. No secret. They aren't spraying on the wax just to be nice.... It's because over time if they didn't your clear coat would be toast.

Having said the above , we have driven our dark brown Suburban through a LaserWash weeklyt for years. Looks great. Then again- no one is checking out swirl marks on a 4wd 3/4 ton Suburban with ranch cattle guard front and rear bumpers and a roof gear rack.

now getting to my ride- it never has been and never will be in a laser or auto wash at all. I do however plead guity to going to the hand wand spray place and giving it a quick cleaning right before a sales or client meeting. But I soak it real good on low pressure first. Otherwise I hand wash with Zaino and use micro fibre towels only.

Would I buy black again? Yes but thats my opinion. A client has a blue E320 and he uses the laserwash.... Looks fine to me... but I am not looking real close like it should show as a show car......
Old 12-11-2003, 10:41 PM

1995 S320V
Angry car wash

anyone read the warning in the nov/dec "STAR" mag.
not to use pressure washers on tires? the high speed pulses can cause the tire cordes to vibrate at high speed and over heat, leading to failures! eek
Old 12-11-2003, 11:36 PM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
I think that over the long term, many automatic car washes will scuff the edges of your wheels as well. plus if you allow the car wash to apply wheel cleaner, they sometimes dont always rinse it all off.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM

2013 GL550
For those of us in cold climates and salted roads an automatic wash is sometimes the only game in town. The one I go to when it's cold can turn off the tire brushes for your car as it goes through. Saves the wheel finish. Just ask next time you pull in.

When I go to the self serve, I bring my own bucket and mitt and only use that foaming brush on the wheels. If it's over 40 degrees I'm washing it at home.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:38 AM

W211 & Q7
For those of us in cold climates and salted roads an automatic wash is sometimes the only game in town
yes, you do want a auto wash during the winter time and you may need a auto wash to clean up the salt under your car where you cannot eaily clean it up by your own. (if you lease your car, there is no issue here. if you own it, please find a reliable auto brushless car wash to clean salt for car after snows.)
Old 12-22-2003, 11:45 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

when any of my vehicles get really dirty i use the self serve high pressure hand held car wash. i do this before i use a bucket and sponge. it is only about 1200psi and if your don't put it to close to the paint...no problems. after that i take the car home and wash it with bucket and sponge.

when it comes to car washes that actually touch your paint....no way!!! i have no faith in their ability not to scratch the paint. locally there is a high pressure automatic that washes the undercarriage and the rest of the car without touching the paint.