E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help adjust horn sensitivity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport
Help adjust horn sensitivity

The horn on my '04 E220CDI does not honk easily. I can press the airbag cover/horn button down to a first click with no horn sound. To get the horn to work, it has to be pressed down harder still.

The horn is a critical need in the chaotic traffic of Bangalore -- so I'm hoping to be able to adjust it, but have not found any instructions.

I did ask the dealer -- they were in the process of replacing the spiral contact and turn switch, but they said nothing can be done and a new airbag unit would be needed.

I hope to get more info from this forum,

Thx!
Byas
Old 09-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Before I change anything I would inspect and clean all the under hood horn wiring connections.

Additionally, to change the spring you do have to remove the air bag however after install of new spring the air bag can be reused. Just be careful!!!
Old 09-06-2014, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport
My first post was not as clear as it could be... the switch and spring were replaced. While they were being replaced I requested the dealer to check the horn switch pressure. The service tech said the horn pressure could not be adjusted and only solution would be to buy a new airbag unit.

I wanted to either get a validation of the dealer's assessment or tips on what could be the cause.

I am comfortable with removing the airbag unit from the car, but don't want to waste time if nothing can really be done.

Thanks,
Byas