E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Transmission Issue, Value body?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by DZE550
I have 189,000 miles on it. All highway miles. I had the tranny flushed last year.
so you disconnected the battery and then reconnected the battery? And now this is happening? Before you do anything else, reset the powertrain control module. This may not even remotely be the problem, or it may exactly be the problem. To do so get in the car turn the ignition key to on but not start. depress the accelerator pedal to the floor, all the way, for like 20 seconds turn the key off wait several more seconds then release the pedal. wait a few more seconds and start the car. When you put it in gear, it will have reset for the most aggressive shifting points, which may be producing the problems you suggest that you may have. It may also do absolutely nothing whatsoever for you. However, this little trick saved my tail once after a similar circumstance.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e550
Originally Posted by wjcandee
so you disconnected the battery and then reconnected the battery? And now this is happening? Before you do anything else, reset the powertrain control module. This may not even remotely be the problem, or it may exactly be the problem. To do so get in the car turn the ignition key to on but not start. depress the accelerator pedal to the floor, all the way, for like 20 seconds turn the key off wait several more seconds then release the pedal. wait a few more seconds and start the car. When you put it in gear, it will have reset for the most aggressive shifting points, which may be producing the problems you suggest that you may have. It may also do absolutely nothing whatsoever for you. However, this little trick saved my tail once after a similar circumstance.
Thank you, i'll try that first thing monday morning before mechanic does anything. I had it towed to my MB mechanic.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by DZE550
Thank you, i'll try that first thing monday morning before mechanic does anything. I had it towed to my MB mechanic.
The "clunk, clunk" could also be a failed transmission mount (an inexpensive part). Or, as you suspect, it could be something relating to the transmission itself. But I would at least have the guy inspect the things in the drivetrain that are customarily due at some point for replacement: propeller shaft flex disks, transmission mount, even engine mounts. If the transmission mount is going, it gives a clunk clunk when you put the thing into gear. The flex discs may be on the way out at about the same time... The discs are either cracked/hairy or they are fine. But if not fine, then time to replace. Look at partsgeek.com or FCPEuro.com for good aftermarket (OEM) parts options and save a lot of money. Bilstein/Febi or Lemfoerder.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e550
Turns out I needed an entire rebuild. Gears were burned through, along with noticeable metal shavings. How is this possible with no fault light indication? Also, my certified Benz mechanic not noticing? SMH!!! So, now i'm learning so much about MBZ Tranny, my follow up question is...Though i'm having a rebuild, is it still necessary to have the control unit reflashed?