ESP Warning Light On E550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
ESP Warning Light On E550

2 weeks ago the ESP warning light started coming on sometimes when I started the car, other times not, and still other times while I was driving. Whenever that happens, I notice that the air suspension becomes rock hard and I can feel every ripple an dimple in the pavement. When the light is not lit, the suspension feels as good as it has felt for the past 8 years.

Does anybody know if the suspension intentionally firms up when the ESP fails? I am trading the car in on a 2015 ML350 when it has been built in about 3 weeks, so I'm not overly concerned other than to watch my driving in wet conditions so as not to need the ESP to help avoid a collision.

I'm not inclined to pay for an ESP repair, unless I have to... and I don't want the airbag shocks to pop either. Any advice?

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-24-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350W
check my post; 'ESP malfunction visit workshop' and see if it can help you.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Barry, I had this EXACT same issue about a month ago. As soon as the light goes off the car has F1 suspension, not sure what causes that.

The issue itself is a steering angle sensor failure, hence why it comes on sometimes. If the steering wheel hits that failure point, your light will go off and then the suspension will become firm. I don't know if on mine it happened at certain set angles or just intermittently when the signal from the steering angle sensor was seen as bad.

It wasn't a very expensive repair, the only other thing that might cause it is a bad wheel speed sensor. I also have a 2007 E550 so my money is on the steering angle sensor. Just run a STAR scan and it will tell you right there. It's not as bad as it sounds, but super strange symptomatically.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 09-24-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Barry, I had this EXACT same issue about a month ago. As soon as the light goes off the car has F1 suspension, not sure what causes that.

The issue itself is a steering angle sensor failure, hence why it comes on sometimes. If the steering wheel hits that failure point, your light will go off and then the suspension will become firm. I don't know if on mine it happened at certain set angles or just intermittently when the signal from the steering angle sensor was seen as bad.

It wasn't a very expensive repair, the only other thing that might cause it is a bad wheel speed sensor. I also have a 2007 E550 so my money is on the steering angle sensor. Just run a STAR scan and it will tell you right there. It's not as bad as it sounds, but super strange symptomatically.
Good to know! Glad I'm not nuts. The new ML is supposed to be built between the 20th & 30th of October so I'll probably try to live with it till then. The MLs are built in Alabama, so it will arrive shortly after assembly. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
For sure, congrats on the new ML!