E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

my impressions e 500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 audq a6
my impressions e 500

While I am sure I will be accused of bashing- this car just is not worth the $$$$.

I have had BMW-AUDI - JAG
Was so excited=I originally went in for the clk 500 but thought the new ones looked too feminine. Saw the line of the sport E500
was "done"

have the 2003 E500 sports- e2 e3 wood wheel

great ride 14,ooo miles but 7x in shop?
a/c
motor mounts
pulls to right- gave up
HK7- contrary to what is written- this is just an adequate radio
BRAKES 2 x
Tiny side view mirrors

My sis has 2004 same s**T- I mean same GARBAGE

This is my first and last MB-or at least at this price range- my god-
what do u have to do? go the +80K-100k?

I drove a 2004 bmw (small one) so much tighter-so much cooler (orange light-at night)

Have yet to see the 2004 5 on the road BUT TRUST ME this car is not not not a 60+$ vehicle.

Please do not rip me apart- I have driven it at 135mph- superb
and daily at 65 great engine=s**t stereo- always a prob 2003 and 04 for my sister same s**t

but much better out there****

Regards

***just couldnt find one for 60k- sight unseen i would go for the bmw top of lne 5 or even the sporty lexus and I LOVE german engineeing but they "missed" big time
Old 12-29-2003, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
sorry about yout problems, doesnt sound like you liked what MB had to offer. I suggest going with the 04 5-Series, i think they look great, and they are much more sportier than the E, plus you can get a 6 speed, GL with your future purchase
Old 12-29-2003, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
not sure where you are going to turn. forget the 5 and 7 series, read some of the BMW boards, want to use a joystick to operate a radio? do you want front wheel drive, probably not? A Lexus GS, its basically an Avalon. maybe the new A6 will be good.

to be honest, based on the comments I get from friends who own various cars, the most reliable and stable car at the $50K price point - Cadillac.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:49 PM

'06 SL65
What's great is we have choices. I was convinced to get a 2004 545i with the SMG and HUD as we already have 2 MBs in the stable and wanted something different. I think HUD will be sweet.
http://www.bmwnation.com/images/gall...s_hud_01_s.jpg
After testing 2 5 series and visiting 3 BMW dealers in 1 week...the interior looked like in my opinion. I just couldn't warm up to the interior althought IDrive is very nice. http://bmw545i.com/E60-Gray-Anthracite.jpg
The front end looks pretty cool but the rear looked funky (although I'm beginning to like the overall shape). I've heard they are delaying certain options (HUD, SMG) to correct some bugs and some IDrive screen blacks out under 32 degrees F. Performance wise, I'm sure it would be quicker by a few tenths to 60mph and most likely carve up the twisties better.

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 12-29-2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:15 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the E.

I had my reservations before taking the plunge.

Had been a BMW person. In fact waited 4 years for the E60 5 series but when it came out, I could not warm up to it.

Test drove the E500 and found it to be an even balance between performance and luxury.

The 5 series did have the edge on performance but also heard about it's first year gremlins (just like the E) but the biggest deal breaker was the interior. It was CHEAP and the inverse bottle cap (iDrive controller) really turned me off.

IMHO, I think the E500 is a better buy compared to the 545i

Good luck with your search
Old 12-30-2003, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
GearHead

My experince and thought processes have been almost identical to yours. The main difference is that I have ordered an E320 CDI.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:14 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
The 5 series interior looks richer in pics than in reality. I sat in one at the Austin Auto Show and my first reaction was how cheap the interior was...very plasticy.

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2003, 12:37 AM

2003 E500 SPORT
Thumbs up

As a first timer as well with the E-500 and a 25 year history with BMW I can say as the elder statesman here that we had our share of BMW Fubars in many of our 5 and 7 Series cars.

Our E is so far trouble free except for the frequent gremlins from too many computers. I would say that between the sweet engine, great transmission, great brakes and fantastic handling so far I have to hope that you stay the course and let the bugs work out.

If you want the perfect car then get the Lexus LS400. I own the 2 seater and after 2 boring years of excellence I am please after 4 years with a pesky Porsche 911.

Derek.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:13 AM

Re: my impressions e 500

Originally posted by mike_fern2001
While I am sure I will be accused of bashing- this car just is not worth the $$$$.

This is my first and last MB-or at least at this price range- my god-
what do u have to do? go the +80K-100k?
i agree!! the E is a very nice car…but it’s just not worth the money mb wants. I know a guy that just bought a Toyota van for around 34k that has more options on it than my e that listed at 62k ( not including the $1,500 phone that works about as well as a portable ear/mic adaptor wire that’s cost $24). that’s about double the money folks and I had a 3 series for 36k that would out corner and drove better than my e in any sport mode. And that’s ok because I don’t want to go 60mph around a curve in my e BUT….radio with station call sign and song title display, heated/cooled seats, power trunk, car phone, navigation and even the distronic system should be STANDARD in a $62,000 luxury car. And it’s not even hand built…they can pop these babies out in no time. Perhaps I wouldn’t feel this way if I haven’t been in the shop for several malfunctions including one of the oldest inventions for cars, wipers. HOW CAN A MAJOR AUTOMOBILE COMPANY NOT PRODUCE QUIET AND EFFECTIVE WIPERS? MB is riding a little too much on their reputation and is missing the quality mark. But with one of their major competitors making some of the ugliest cars at this time, they may not be too concern.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
And it’s not even hand built
Am I the only one who doesn't want a hand built car? I love that robots build my car to tolerences that a human could never duplicate. If you think our cars have problems just imagine it with the human factor built in!

Anyways, there is still a lot of hand building in our cars.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
I'm not sure myself. Afterall look at the all the non-problem hand built cars:
Rolls Royce
some Jaguars
Aston Martin
Ferrari
some Porsche's
Lamborghini
Saleen

I mean these cars are all non-problematic, and if there is a problem, parts are always readily available at the local dealer. Right?!

Last edited by Randy B; 12-30-2003 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Ha, ha, you got it!
Old 12-30-2003, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
I'm so sorry mike that you had to experience bad thing about the MB... Wish you the best on your next car..
Old 12-30-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by nyca
not sure where you are going to turn. forget the 5 and 7 series, read some of the BMW boards, want to use a joystick to operate a radio? do you want front wheel drive, probably not? A Lexus GS, its basically an Avalon. maybe the new A6 will be good.

to be honest, based on the comments I get from friends who own various cars, the most reliable and stable car at the $50K price point - Cadillac.
a GS is basically an avalon?? thats very funny. the only thing they have in common are the window switches. I wouldnt mind driving in a 300hp, rwd avalon that has offered DVD-based navi since 98
Old 12-30-2003, 03:16 PM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
Re: my impressions e 500

Originally posted by mike_fern2001
While I am sure I will be accused of bashing- this car just is not worth the $$$$.I
Sounds like you have really had some issues with your car and I am sorry to hear that. I wish I could boast of a problem free car but can’t after having the radio and purge valve worked on after five months of ownership. Nonetheless, in my situation, I considered those issues minor and have so far found the ownership experience to be very satisfying. The issues you described, although inexcusable, should be easily resolved by your dealer. I strongly believe the competency level of our dealers makes or breaks our experience with the car.

There is no question the E500 is priced higher than a pocket full of change. There were many times when I figured I could have the G35 Sedan and the G35 Coupe in my driveway for the price of the E - both very fine cars I must add. I decided to play in this league, stuck with the E and absolutely have no regrets especially when I see the new 5 series. Good luck and I hope you find something that is of better value and more satisfying to you.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:28 PM

2004 E320 4Matic
I wasn't thrilled with MB "value" as well. At the E-class price points, I would have thought that certain things should be standard, not pricey options (e.g. Xenon lights).

Given all the apparent quality issues, the '04 Acura TL's are looking oh so fine...value plus quality! Front drive tho.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:29 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by Randy B
I'm not sure myself. Afterall look at the all the non-problem hand built cars:
Rolls Royce
some Jaguars
Aston Martin
Ferrari
some Porsche's
Lamborghini
Saleen

I mean these cars are all non-problematic, and if there is a problem, parts are always readiily available at the local dealer. Right?!
My neighbor has his and her Jaguars, and a Silver Shadow and a live in mechanic whose sole job is to service the cars (and he is always busy) My brother-in-laws' Ferrari is more often in the shop for tune ups than on the street.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Yes, there are some issues I am not happy with this price of a car. But in the end when you compare options, it is still the best. Not everyone has all of the problems you mention, albeit that is no excuse. I have had a couple problems (pull to right, very minor nav/stereo/elec issues).

but when you look at the new 5, you cant help but get nausiated. Then when you get inside, you will surely toss your lunch. Fit and finish is crap. I-drive speaks for itself (poorly). BMW has just as many problems as Merc, not to mention Audi. Your only option would be a GS430. Great car, but not a "German" car.

I agree, and am a bit frustrated and dissapointed with some of the cars features (nav sucks, elec issues, etc), but it is still the best looking, most comfortable, great riding, somewhat sporty car I can find. All around, I am very happy, and I am 22 coming from an SMG M3, for what its worth.

I am still going to write a letter to MB expressing the issues over the very minor things that were overlooked, including general quality control.

Its unfortuate you had so many issues, and I wish you the best of luck in the future with the car, and that you have a decent dealership!!
Old 12-30-2003, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lexus GS

its the toyota aristo in the Japanese market, just part of the regular toyota lineup. supposed to be revealed at the detroit auto show in January. spy photos:

http://www.honda-acura.net/showthread/t-99442.html
Old 12-30-2003, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Sorry to hear your problems.

I think we've all had similar problems. But one thing you should keep in mind is that MB does provide great service with their cars which makes the ownership experience so much more pleasant.

For the money you maybe able to improve on certain things but you won't get a great package that compares to the E.

Oh, and as far as your comparison to the minivan, I hardly think you should even go there. Keep in mind you can buy a $36K honda accord that has more options than the Bentley GT, but which would you rather drive?
Oh, and my friend just bought a Maranello, AC was an option on his car. You can't compare things like options. But I must say that in a luxury car, Nav should be in option if nothing else.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Are you simply stupid to understand the difference in car, or you just make up stuff to post:

* The lexus GS 300 is 6-inline, the GS400 is V8, both are RWD
* The Avalon is V6, FWD

How can a GS be an upgraded Avalon ?

Should I say the E500 is simply a Dogde Neon upgraded, since both have 4 wheels and a steering anyway ?

Originally posted by nyca

Old 12-30-2003, 07:25 PM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
Not to mention the incredible resale value it retains. (sic)
Old 12-30-2003, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what about the chassis, brakes, fuel pumps, alternators, engine management system, and a whole host of other components and subassemblies.

are you seriously saying there is no toyota content in a Lexus GS? yeah, so its got a different engine, so what. In Japan, its part of the regular Toyota lineup.

any Neon content in an E class? Any at all?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Well, we only have to wait for the merge of componentry that is bound to happen over the next few years. So, yeah, I do expect to see some shared components with MB's and Chryslers, even the lower model ones.

Look, as has been mentioned, the GS is a Toyota Aristo in Japan. Japan does not have the Lexus brand name (yet, that will change in 2005). They do share some parts with plain old Toyotas. But the car is a little more than a gussied up Toyota that we have come to know of in the US. I owned the car and can certainly make some comparisons with the E.

Although, a drive in an Avalon or Previa will certainly be luxurious to say the least, should I say, Lexus-like?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:25 AM

2000 audq a6
front shocks and compressor were shot

There are so many cars better than MB- justmy feeling
look at these posts-
one problem after another

lets see what the BMW 5 series does in terms of constant service problems>>>>>>

i dont have them?? u will even on the2004's
my sis has it same s**t

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my impressions e 500