E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Just back from Germany

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just back from Germany - (photos added)

Just got back from Germany where we picked up a 4-Matic 320 E. Despite having the 17" Continentals that come with the Appearance Package didn't have any trouble driving on the snow either through the rural passes or Autobahn. Took a gamble on the Pacific Blue interior (which had only seen in photos) and was pleasantly surprised at how nicely it complimented the Platinum Blue exterior. As I'd hoped it was in fact darker than most of the photos I'd previously seen of it. (Didn't want the maintenance problems of a lighter interior and couldn't justify paying an extra $1000 plus to get the black interior which is a special order interior with platinum blue. )

This was our first trip to Germany in the winter. Our first night with the car was spent in Baden Baden where we woke up the next morning to find the car covered in snow. Was interesting seeing the leather suited "mischevious Santa Clauses" climbing the walls of many a house and building. The reindeer and Santa coming down the chimney must be more of an American thing as most of the Santa's were positioned to climb into windows after scaling walls Ninja fashion. Also all Christmas tree lights were white.

Our technician at the factory insisted that since October all of the Nav equipped E Class cars should be able to accommodate DVD movies and TV with an added adaptor despite my telling him I'd heard otherwise as to US spec cars. Now I'm curious if adding DVD movie and TV capability is in fact possible for us in the US.

Not being able to reserve a hotel in a major German city for New Year's eve we opted to take a chance and try to find something on the road. We lucked out. After going through a snowstorm on a rural road that originated close to Oberammergau we made it to the hamlet of Hohenschwangau just as night fell. The first hotel listed on our Nav screen for that location was Hotel Mueller (actually Muller with an umlaut over the u). Not only was a room available but it came with a New Year's Eve package that included a six-course meal that included such local delicacies as quail and deer. The meal lasted from 7PM to 11PM with music from a live band throughout. Watching the locals polka was entertainment itself. That was followed by a dessert and midnight buffet that rivaled the best cruise ship cuisine. The party moved out to the "garden" for fireworks which were most memorable for their proximity. Just feet away from the revelers cannons and rockets were lit and the bursts overhead rained embers on us below with a number of projectiles also veering into the front of the hotel. In the morning the view out of our window included Neuschwanstein Castle (the "fairy tale castle built by "Mad" King Ludwig) emerging from the low clouds and snow fog as morning light fell. It was a sight which even superceeded that of the night before when the castle was lighted artificially. All in all a memorable way to start the New Year. Anyone contemplating a trip through Germany I can without reservation recommend the family run hotel Mueller with its most accommodating staff and superb chef.

With the car now having been left at the hotel in Munich for Harms to forward to the seaport and then on to the US it will be a while before it arrives stateside.

Other options included the comfort package, entertainment package, panoramic sunroof with solar panels, digital 4 way temperature controls (which worked amazingly well with no complaints from the kids in the rear seat who could adjust their own temperature) and rear window screen. The gauges on the appearance package were white and there was no sport badge on the front fenders.

Last edited by Mercedesfan; 01-05-2004 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:50 AM

Thumbs up Thumbs up on the cornering lights too!

Forgot to add that the new cornering lights worked well. The technician assured me they were on the vehicle and when we drove the narrow rural road during a snowstorm it was noted that we could see the reflectors on the roadside markers light up well before the car was fully turned to face them.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:02 AM

Post Photos

For those interested, go to the attached site to see some photos of the kids at various locations on our recent travel in Germany as posted by them. The "factory photo" (actually the delivery center) includes the car in the far left corner. When you get to the site, recommend hitting the "slideshow" feature button for quick full page viewing.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bri...ermany&.src=ph

Last edited by Mercedesfan; 01-05-2004 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:48 AM

Arrow "Gummi mats"

Oh- another "option" were the rubber floor mats ("gummi mats") that I picked up at the delivery center. These proved to be a godsend in keeping the interior floors clear of mud and grime from the melting snow. When I requested them I simply noted we had an E Class and failed to mention it was 4-Matic. Don't know if they make a special set for the 4-Matic, but result was that on the front passenger's side the mat does not go completely flat on the left side as there is a protrusion of the floor into the passenger compartment that is necessitated by the 4-Matic coupling.

Per the recommendation of the shipping company we brought the mats back with us as we were warned anything loose and not a listed option has a propensity to disappear in the shippinhg process.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:25 AM

Thumbs up Folding Rear Seats

The folding rear seats with the ski sack included option was also included but never really got a chance to try them out as the trunk was filled to capacity with luggage for the duration of our time in Europe. Was surprised to learn that the seats can only be folded with latches contained in the trunk. In retrospect this is a nice security feature as it would prevent someone from gaining access to the trunk by opening an unlocked door or getting into the cabin through an open or broken window and then being able to fold the rear seats down to enter the trunk.

Will also have to wait for summer weather to learn if the ventilating fan feature with the front seats as part of the comfort package is a must have on the E. Got lots of use out of the heated seats though.

Last edited by Mercedesfan; 01-05-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:51 AM

'06 SL65
Congrats! If you hear more about that adapter for the Nav to play DVDs/TV please keep us updated.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:45 AM

Nice story, and some nice pictures. Especially the castle in the winter. (Baden Baden is spelled with one "d" )

German: Wenn Sie in Baden-Baden baden, baden Baden-Badens Baden-Mädchen mit

English: When you take a bath in Baden Baden, the Baden Badens bath girls will go in the bath with you
Old 01-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Congrats!

Congratulations on your beautiful car! My next car will certainly be through ED. I'm sure the experience itself is worth the extra wait.

I'm also curious that many members believe that the new car should be driven at moderate speeds for the first 1000 miles or so. On the other hand, most every member that has taken the European Delivery takes advantage of autobahn and drives the car at 110+ mph. I'm wondering if we are too conservative (or chickens) and spend several weeks letting Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords overtake a 302 HP beast.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:06 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I don't believe that 110 mph is as much a problem as is how you stress the car in acceleration and engine braking. On a factory tour the guide said when the cars come off the production line they are driven on the test track at speeds up to 110 MPH.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:19 AM

The primary advice given by the technician was not to use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles. Varying speeds is apparently helpful to the engine during its break-in period.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Thanks for sharing your trip with us.... Your fortunate to be able to do the trip......

Originally posted by Mercedesfan
The primary advice given by the technician was not to use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles. Varying speeds is apparently helpful to the engine during its break-in period.
I've broken in a lot of motorcycles, but to be quite honest I've never broken in a car before.... Never read anything in the owners manual about it on any previous models that I've owned.... This will be my first mercedes (on order), is this the norm??? If so, I have to wonder about the cars at the dealerships that get test driven daily. I know I absolutly beat the crap out of them (e320 and 500) during my time in them.... I'm quite sure I'm not alone either. Guess I would'nt consider a mercedes demo models in the future.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
yes this is normal, and you should do this, dont use the shifter, dont go past 4000 rpms, dont accelerate hard, and vary your revs. thats the simplest and best way to break in the engine. it isnt bad at all if you burst out and want to feel the power once in a while, so i wouldnt worry about the demos, unless they have a lot of miles....GL
Old 01-06-2004, 11:17 PM

2012 CL550
Great write up about your trip. I would highly recommend ED, but would only do it again WITH a navigation system. Maybe next time....

As for break-in, I couldn't resist driving 100+ mph while allowed and even hit the limiter at 130. With the 7 speed transmission the RPM's never went above 4,000, even at the highest speed. I did avoid hard acceleration, though and still haven't pushed it all that hard even though I'm at 2,500 miles now.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the varied responses. Have some more photos to post but looks like the photo posting feature has been curtailed of recent.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
did you guys that got the appearance package e-classes through ed get the full amg kit or just the american style "sport" package trim???
Old 01-08-2004, 12:13 AM

2012 CL550
Getting the car delivered in Germany doesn't give you more options than buying one in the US. My appearance package is the same as all others and doesn't have any of the AMG components.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:16 PM

Any word on when the byte size to allow photos to be posted will return?
Old 01-11-2004, 10:54 AM

?

Any updated estimate yet on when photo attachment capability will return to the forums?
Old 01-13-2004, 01:46 AM

Pictures pending

I've taken Oslo up on his generous offer to provide server space for photos. When a link is available I'll post it.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:19 AM

You should have received the links now
Old 01-13-2004, 10:38 AM

2003 - S430, 2003 - 911 C2, 2004 - E320, 2006 - Range Rover Sport HSE
Hotel Mueller

...hey I also stayed at The Hotel Mueller when I visited Schloss Neuschwanstein - great place - hast du ein gutes bier getrunken?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:00 PM

OK, here is an attempt to add a link to additional pictures - ones which feature the Platinum Blue 320 E 4Matic with panorama roof that we just picked up and drove in Germany on European Delivery.

In the first alblum there are 9 photos at this link which mostly include pictures of the car at Schlosshotel Buhlerhohe, Baden-Baden, Germany.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dal...dale/my_photos

In the second alblum at this link there are 10 photos at the European Delivery Center from the VW Taxi dropping us off to the Apple Strudle dessert with Mercedes logo in the powder sugar at the Delivery Center dining room.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dal...dale/my_photos

(However, scroll ahead to the following post by Oslo of four selected photos which I have emailed to him and he has kindly attached without requiring a link. The description of these photos follows in my post after Oslo's posting.)

Last edited by Mercedesfan; 01-14-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:13 PM

Here you are, Mercedesfan

Old 01-14-2004, 12:30 AM

Thanks Oslo

Thanks for posting the pictures I'd emailed. They depict the subject Platinum Blue 4Matic 320 E with panorama roof as parked in front of the hotel Mueller and a shot from the hotel window looking down on the vehicle when parked in the snow earlier. Also depicted is the view of the castle from the hotel. Those three photos were all taken on New Year's day 2004. The other photo is a morning sunrise view of Munich looking toward Marenplatz (where the glockenspiel and city hall are located) from an upper floor of the Hotel Baerischer Hof.

(The far right lamp in the photo showing the car parked in front of Hotel Mueller is the same lamp I used to frame Neuschwanstein Castle in the final photo with the Castle positioned between the light of the lamp on the left and the glistening snow of the tree on the right.)

Last edited by Mercedesfan; 01-14-2004 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:20 AM

2003 - S430, 2003 - 911 C2, 2004 - E320, 2006 - Range Rover Sport HSE
Germany pictures

Mercedesfan -

Absolutely fantastic photo's - wonderful.

'03 S430 Obsidian / Charcoal
'04 E320 Black / Charcoal

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just back from Germany