E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Cold weather issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 SL550
Cold weather issues

This is my second E500 (Nav replacement) and second winter. Both cars seem to have similar problems when the weather gets under 30 degrees.

1. Stereo gets gremlins and will not turn on (or off).

2. Heated wheel won't heat! The red light goes out quickly.

3. The malfunction list on the dash will list false problems.

4. Memory seat positions don't work.

Has anyone else encountered strange problems when it's cold?

These are minor issues but are unacceptable in this type of car.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I had the stereo problem. It was about 25 degrees F, and I start the car only to hear loud static over the CD playing music. Try to turn it off and on a few times with no luck. Turn the car off, and the radio still stays on for about 15 seconds. This was only in the cold weather.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I mean seriously, does MB test anything on these cars?
Old 01-08-2004, 10:34 PM

2013 GL550
The only cold weather issue has been false readings from the parktronic sensors if they get water in there and then it freezes. Goes away after it sits in the garage for a while. The pano roof will creak once in a great while when it's below zero. No radio issues when cold, knock on wood.

Bruce
Old 01-09-2004, 09:14 AM

2003 E500
Heater and defroster blowers cutting out.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=56725
Old 01-09-2004, 09:28 AM

W211 & Q7
clembo,

check your battery. I have no problem using headed wheel and seats. If you usually are a local short distance driver, you should get a trickle charger to make your battery in the best condition.

otto
Old 01-09-2004, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
I am in New Hampshire this week and have a rental car (Hyundai Sonada) . It was -17 yesterday. There was no problems at all. The radio worked greate. The header kicked in pretty quick. And nothing creaked.
I hate to admit it, but I really don't think they test anything on these cars. I am glad I live in CA where the temp is always above 50.

I feel your pain though.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I've had the radio gremlins in both cold and hot weather. Doesn't seem to matter. Perhaps it needs a perfect 75 F with no humidity, and a soft breeze out of the southwest to function properly. This radio thing is really starting to **** me off.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:27 AM
wem

Received 186 Likes on 105 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
heated steering wheel

clembo,

It was -1 this morning in Connecticut. I had the same problem with the heated steering wheel. The red light would shut off after 1 or 2 seconds. I took the car out again when the temp rose to a toasty 4 degrees. The heated steering wheel worked this time. I don't know if the system reset itself when I restarted the car the second time.

The really frustrating thing is that this is a problem that will be almost impossible to replicate at the dealership, and of course it is happening on a Sat.

All in all the car is still a lot better than the Jag it replaced.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by cte430
I've had the radio gremlins in both cold and hot weather. Doesn't seem to matter. Perhaps it needs a perfect 75 F with no humidity, and a soft breeze out of the southwest to function properly. This radio thing is really starting to **** me off.
There is a fix for this problem, I have already explained it in other threads.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:34 AM

Does the heated steering wheel malfunction come together with a message "electrical consumers switched off"?
Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

are you saying that when its very cold, the system tries to divert all the alternator juice to charge the battery, so it switches off any "non essential" electrical components ("consumers") to facilitate that?
Old 01-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Almost a Member!

I've had the same cold weather problem with the radio this week (live in NJ, temp has been between 0-20)... Dealership has a new fiber optic cable on order for me... I will post results after it is replaced.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by nyca
are you saying that when its very cold, the system tries to divert all the alternator juice to charge the battery, so it switches off any "non essential" electrical components ("consumers") to facilitate that?
Yes, but not especially when cold, but when battery is not fully charged.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by bboerit
I've had the same cold weather problem with the radio this week (live in NJ, temp has been between 0-20)... Dealership has a new fiber optic cable on order for me... I will post results after it is replaced.
...About that optic fibre cable,...I will answer with a quote:

Originally posted by patrick
When I look at this thread it seems that there are a lot of misunderstandings about the optic fibre system and also a lot of information about problems with it are really getting mixed up.

I will try to post some opinions about it in simple English because I am not capable to use highly technical English (or just "difficult" English in general).

I will start with a question: why do you all think the noises from the speakers are caused by static build-up?

As the optic fibre system uses optic signals instead of electric it is not susceptive to all kinds of interference (as static electricity,...), it permits higher transmission speeds and no loss of data quality.

I must say that since MB generally started using optic fibre cables in october 1998 (S-class W220) I have never seen much problems with the optic cables (and/or their connections to the control units) itself. What does have caused problems are communication problems between the different control units. But this can also happen with systems connected by ordinary electric wires or CAN.

Many people here seem to be convinced that all those problems are caused by (one of) the optic fibre cables, but I do not think that many of you can say that his/her problems were all solved after the dealer only replaced an optic fibre cable.
(Do not understand me wrong, I do not want to say it does not happen, only that it is rare)

The problem now with that crackling sound coming from the speakers and then shutting off is caused by a phase displacement as a result of bad communication timing between the control units on the MOST-system.
Systems that have an AGW with software 43/03 on it should not have that problem anymore, tough I am pretty sure that this SW is not available in the US yet (officially, it is not in Belgium yet, but I have got it directly from Germany).

Apart from this, other things can also cause "static-like" noises, e.g. telephone cradles,...(overhere caused by cradles for Nokia phones, for the US: ???)

There will come more software-updates afterwards but not for that crackling sound/shutting off-problem (as it should be fixed with the SW mentioned above), but mostly for adding extra functions (as MP3,...) and fixing other problems (timing problem between Comand and DVD-reader in the trunk, playing audio-CD's with only one track on it,...).

I have read also something about high temperature and shutting off. Every dealer should be able to determine if the shutting off is a result of high temperature (specific fault codes as D004,...). Also for this problem there are several fixes (new AGW-software, special AGW-fan, adjustment to AGW covering,...).

I can say that almost all MOST-related problems are fixed overhere, I just cannot tell about telephone issues because here Nokia 6310i is used and in the US I think the Motorola V60 (and therefore different control units are used).

I have also read something about the replacement of a rear view mirror but I doubt that this will fix something as there are four microphones in it and it would be rare that all those four are defective (and also this part is very simple from design). However, on the MOST-system there is a special control unit to synchronize the signals from those four microphones and put it on the MOST-system as one voice-signal...
We have been experimenting with that in february 2002 yet and replacing rear view mirrors never fixed anything.

There are different reasons why you all still have problems, such as: the amount (and speed) of information MBUSA gets from DCAG (Germany), the amount of information US-dealers receive from MBUSA, the willingness of MBUSA to back-up their dealers, the way mechanics use the information they have (it is not enough to have information, you have to study it and use it too,...), the willingness of MBUSA/dealer/mechanic to help their customers and so on,...
In fact you may not just blame the dealer, or just MBUSA, etc...it is a whole (if this is proper English?).

In general, if dealers really want to help their customers, they should always have to put the latest SW on the cars (Comand: with workshop-update-CD, AGW: with update-CD (SW 43/03 or younger) and Star diagnosis, navigation-unit: DVD 2.3 or higher, Audio50APS: CD 2.0 or higher,...) and the latest control units (with special attention to the telephone CU and the unit that synchronizes the microphone signals).

A happy New Year!
Old 01-10-2004, 01:43 PM

W211 & Q7
Yes, but not especially when cold, but when battery is not fully charged.
that is what I said keeping your batteries being in the best condition. both heated wheel and seats of my car work perfectly when I need them. I live in NJ and I use heated wheel and seats often in this winter. mb built-in chip tries to make the major functions work first, e.g. brake, before providing comfort services while battery is low to the critical level.(w211 is a power hog, that is why it needs 2 batteries.)
Old 01-10-2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Otto
...w211 is a power hog, that is why it needs 2 batteries...
No, second (small) battery is for maintaining SBC-functions if something should happen (sudden failure,...) with the main battery while riding.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:49 PM

W211 & Q7
Originally posted by patrick
No, second (small) battery is for maintaining SBC-functions if something should happen (sudden failure,...) with the main battery while riding.
the circuits link them both batteries together. see page 27 of
http://www.mbusalearning.com/w211ele...ualbattery.pdf

when your battery dies, your brake cannot function (the tranditional mechanic brake system does not have this issue.) and you cannot ignite your car. after you have a jumpstart or replace a new battery, your sbc still does not function back automatically -- it does not matter the power level of your second battery (red warning shows up) and you have to drive your car slowly (less than 55 mph) and go back to dealer for resetting sbc.

sbc is great but it relys on the electricity (brake by wire is fancy but newer does not always mean better.) this may be the reason that mb does not continue using it
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=56792
Old 01-10-2004, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well, this makes alot of sense.

but these are at most 2 year old cars, why aren't the batteries in top form? I can see if this person's particular car is only used weekends, or only used for short trips such that sufficient charging is not taking place.

isn't it BMW that wants to make a move to 48V systems because of all these power hungry accessories?
Old 01-10-2004, 06:16 PM

Otto,

Please do not try to explain me the SBC-system just because you have read some basic (!) training documents from mbusalearning.com.

Some misunderstandings:
Certain SBC- and/or battery failures can indeed cause that the vehicle (intentionally) cannot be driven or moved (red message on the display, etc...), but it is not in this situation that you will need that auxiliary battery, at that moment there are no safety problems (as the car is standing still, red messages appear, shifting knob cannot be moved,...).
But what do you think that will happen with the SBC when e.g. main battery has a sudden failure (short circuit, explodes,...) while driving? Let us say at 55 mph or even more like we drive overhere...?
That was the main reason for MB to put that auxiliary battery in the car, and if you would have read more carefully, you could have seen that I wrote "while riding" (or "driving", please do not blame me for not using the proper words, I am not English speaking but I just try to make myself clear).

When a white message about the battery appears (e.g. "electrical consumers switched off",...) the auxiliary battery is not involved, and it never is when only the main battery needs to be charged a bit (electrical consumers priorization, white message on instrument cluster).
That auxiliary battery is only involved when there are serious power failures such as a defective battery, a broken battery cable, defective battery control module, etc...and then you always get a red message on the instrument cluster (emergency mode), or to charge it but not to help the main battery then.

I have seen that in the mbusalearning.com-document there is written that in "customer priorization mode" the auxiliary battery is involved, this is not correct (and I have seen others things got messed up too), only certain electrical consumers (depending on which stage, there are two stages) are swiched off temporarily for better charge of the main battery.
Just remember white messages/red messages, normal operation/emergency operation, standing still/driving.

If you want to discuss such things or just want to know all about it, then use the original German documents (no translation/interpretation faults).

And "brake by wire" is not fully "brake by wire", there is still a hydraulic system available for emergency operation, but you may frighten if there is a sudden failure at a certain speed and you change from normal SBC operation to back-up hydraulic system (excessive brake pressing required, less brake power,...)
Old 01-10-2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by nyca
...but these are at most 2 year old cars, why aren't the batteries in top form? I can see if this person's particular car is only used weekends, or only used for short trips such that sufficient charging is not taking place...
If everything is OK, no failures, etc...batteries will be in "top form"!

The current consommation is always limited (about 100 amps) for two reasons: keeping the batteries well charged and, as being capable of operating with this limited current consommation, the batteries can fully back up when the alternator fails.

It is not normal that E-class-batteries are not well charged, even if the owners do not drive much, etc...therefore MB equipped it with the electrical consumer switching off-function.

Maybe some dealers should learn how to measure the current while standing still? It may happen when something fails that there is a drain somewhere!!!!!

We say "measuring is knowing"!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:52 AM

E500
Clembo

Back to your original questions. I too have the malfunctioning steering wheel heater in the cold. The dealer has a switch on back order. They had one previous customer with this problem and the switch replacement fixed the problem.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:03 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Patrick: Thanks for the detailed explanations. Your input on this board is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:39 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
I have no electronic or mechanical cold weather issues. However, yesterday, the temp was 4 F and the Benz was whistling (wind noise) between 60 and 70 mph. This is the first time the car has been driven in freezing temperatures, the first time I heard wind noise, and the first Benz, I've owned, with wind noise.

Last edited by drb; 01-11-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:03 PM

Re: Cold weather issues

Originally posted by clembo
This is my second E500 (Nav replacement) and second winter. Both cars seem to have similar problems when the weather gets under 30 degrees.

1. Stereo gets gremlins and will not turn on (or off).

2. Heated wheel won't heat! The red light goes out quickly.

3. The malfunction list on the dash will list false problems.

4. Memory seat positions don't work.

Has anyone else encountered strange problems when it's cold?

These are minor issues but are unacceptable in this type of car.
this morning it was in the low 20's F. started the car, activated the driver's heated seat to high, put car in reverse and noticed the 3 reds lights were flickering along with the flasher's button light.

the seat did heat up and i turned on the heated wheel and it worked too but the cd changer door would not stay open. i would press the button and it would open slightly, then close.

the 3 reds lights still flashed a few times when i got back home.
after a restart, the cd changer door worked as normal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold weather issues