E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

IPOD users without Aux Belkin Vs. i Trip???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
Question IPOD users without Aux Belkin Vs. i Trip???

I have the belkin now, i live in nyc and even when i drive out of the city it sucks...I would gladly purchase the iTrip for the 3Rd gen ipod if i had any positive feedback from someone on this board, preferably someone who had the Belkin first.

Michael
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Almost a Member!

I just got an IPOD and was wondering what the options were. I was thining of connecting it throught the aux jack in the glove compartment, but heard many problems with a whining noise caused by engine rpm.

What issues do you have with the Belkin? I also live in NYC, so I'm concerned about similar issues.

Marc
Old 01-09-2004, 06:43 PM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
Belkin is very limited as it only offers 4 pre-selected channels to tune on your system. I find that there is too much interruption in the city to even bother with it or out of the city for that matter

I have thought of this; let me know what you think-

·I will buy one of those cassette tape adapters with a long cord.

· There is a nice sized passage way in the cassette compartment with the door on it up, tape inserted.

· There are also two holes on the bottom of each side and it all depends on if those holes go all the way through the radio. Here is why:

· I would cut the headphone tip off of the adapter (reinstall with a soderless 1/8th 24Kt stereo connector from radio shack)

· With the radio in or out, (if I can take it out) I will thread the cassette cord (no plug on it) through the holes on the bottom of the radio via the cassette passageway I mentioned earlier

1. I would then pull the wire through and thread it (no drilling)
2. Behind the in dash cod
3. Behind the ashtray
4. Under the wood center shift console (it snaps up/dn -easy)
5. Through the cup holder into the Storage Compartment
7. Connect the new radio shack plug just by screwing it on.
6. I will run my iPod Belkin car charger from the rear accessory
Socket and through the console or under it if possible
7. Connect with the ipod in upper twin door storage console

If I actually get around to it, ill take pictures because it’s becoming obvious that the best sound quality comes from the cassette

Michael
Old 01-10-2004, 06:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
My belkin sucks as well. I currentlly use the tape adapter and have throught of teh same thing as michael until I read the way they did it in the w203 which is solidering the wires right onto the tape head to create better sound bypassing the tape and right onto the speakers. I wish we could find someone who'd post instructions on how to do it for the eclass!

Originally posted by michael10128
Belkin is very limited as it only offers 4 pre-selected channels to tune on your system. I find that there is too much interruption in the city to even bother with it or out of the city for that matter

I have thought of this; let me know what you think-

·I will buy one of those cassette tape adapters with a long cord.

· There is a nice sized passage way in the cassette compartment with the door on it up, tape inserted.

· There are also two holes on the bottom of each side and it all depends on if those holes go all the way through the radio. Here is why:

· I would cut the headphone tip off of the adapter (reinstall with a soderless 1/8th 24Kt stereo connector from radio shack)

· With the radio in or out, (if I can take it out) I will thread the cassette cord (no plug on it) through the holes on the bottom of the radio via the cassette passageway I mentioned earlier

1. I would then pull the wire through and thread it (no drilling)
2. Behind the in dash cod
3. Behind the ashtray
4. Under the wood center shift console (it snaps up/dn -easy)
5. Through the cup holder into the Storage Compartment
7. Connect the new radio shack plug just by screwing it on.
6. I will run my iPod Belkin car charger from the rear accessory
Socket and through the console or under it if possible
7. Connect with the ipod in upper twin door storage console

If I actually get around to it, ill take pictures because it’s becoming obvious that the best sound quality comes from the cassette

Michael
Old 01-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Almost a Member!

As I've posted before, I have a first generation iTrip I b ought for my pre-Nav car. It simply didn't work. The stations in the NY-metro area are just too congested to get a clear channel, if at the ends of the ranges. I've used the glovebox jack since receiving my Nav vehicle and it works PERFECTLY (that is, when it isn't too cold and the radio works!).
Old 01-10-2004, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally posted by madde500
I just got an IPOD and was wondering what the options were. I was thining of connecting it throught the aux jack in the glove compartment, but heard many problems with a whining noise caused by engine rpm.

What issues do you have with the Belkin? I also live in NYC, so I'm concerned about similar issues.

Marc
I have been using the Aux jack and can't hear this whining noise you talk about. I think its great. In fact, now I play my mp3, and route my Palm Nav through it. It is fantastic.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Almost a Member!

Before the IPOD, I used my laptop a couple of times....had my music library to continously play songs. I also try to play movies on a long trip and then used the AUX jack to play the audio through the car. I noticed that the jack has to be in a certain way otherwise I wouldn't get all the speakers working.