E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-17-2015, 06:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Help Diagnosing Hesitation/Stalling 2004 E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Help Diagnosing Hesitation/Stalling 2004 E500

I would welcome thoughts about where to look to cure the hesitation and stalling that has started to occur after some emissions system work. Here's the saga:

(1) Needed headlight replaced. Shop installed new ballast while headlights were on. Gave car back with giant red battery lit on dashboard.

(2) Diagnosis: Need new alternator. Swore it was just a coincidence. Installed new alternator, but techs were banging around in there trying to get old one out. Waited for guy who works on MB often, who just disconnected some wires and hoses and did the replacement zip zip. New alternator solved the problem and works well. However, gave car back with Check Engine light on.

(3) I assumed Check Engine would disappear, but it didn't. Shop pulled codes, and said they normally indicated need new EGR valve and new MAP sensor, but first try 4-step engine cleaning and replace air filters, which were plainly dirty. They did that, cleared codes, and Check Engine came back on within 5 miles. Car ran better than ever and idled smoother than ever, however, so the cleaning wasn't a total waste.

(4) To clear check engine lights, shop replaced MAP Sensor and EGR with BWD/Intermotor parts. Check engine light cleared, but immediately noticed hesitation when accelerating from low RPM situations, like when you come up to a red light and it turns green just as you are coming to a stop. Also, when you accelerate hard, there doesn't seem to be quite as much power as before, as if it's summer and the a/c is on. Oddly, transmission seems to shift much more smoothly than before through all throttle ranges (it makes sense that it could operate differently as it is controlled by the computer). The problematic hesitation has now turned to almost-stalls, including one frightening one last night where the car stalled as I tried to accelerate after slowing for a light, all the dash lights came on, the steering wheel locked up, I was thrown forward and then the engine caught and restarted as I was trying to hit the brake.

(5) The shop said there were no codes present when I brought the car in before the problem last night, and they can't diagnose the problem without codes.

Obviously, I need a new shop, but if something jumps out to you all about something that may have been not properly installed or disconnected while doing the tasks above, please let me know. They claim that if the parts were bad, or the vacuum was off-spec, we would get a Check Engine light. I'm happy to swap the parts for the Bosch OEM MAP sensor and the Piersburg OEM EGR valve, as they are essentially the same price as the BWD, but I'm thinking that it was likely the work that was done rather than the parts that is the problem.

I would be eternally-grateful for your thoughts, as I would prefer not to have to go to the Stealer.

Last edited by wjcandee; 01-13-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Does the shop have Mercedes equipment to get the codes or is it a generic system? You need a shop that can do star diagnostic.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by homeofstone
Does the shop have Mercedes equipment to get the codes or is it a generic system? You need a shop that can do star diagnostic.
Just generic code reader. I was actually thinking of getting my own Star Diagnostic, as the prices have really gone through the floor, but just finding a good shop that isn't the dealer would be better. Still looking...
Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes Benz E500 4matic.
Crankshaft position sensor

My car kept stalling due to a defective crankshaft position sensor.
The engine would shut down whenever the car was moving at low speeds or when it came to a stop.
I replaced it last Friday, by myself, and the problem went away.
Currently, working on replacing the boot on one of the cv joints.