E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Patrick - follow up SBC SoftStop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patrick - follow up SBC SoftStop

You wrote in a thread that SBC SoftStop was available for the E-class. According to my informations, it's not. Can you clfy?

Here is a link to a German board discussing this (as a Belgian, you read German, right? )

SBC Soft Stop
Old 01-13-2004, 04:59 PM

Re: Patrick - follow up SBC SoftStop

Originally posted by Oslo
You wrote in a thread that SBC SoftStop was available for the E-class. According to my informations, it's not. Can you clfy?...
According to my information it comes together with the "SBC HOLD-" and the "SBC STOP-"function.

But as those two functions are to be evoked by the driver, and the "Soft Stop"-function does not, it is probably not that easy to notice.

Does your car have "SBC HOLD" and "SBC STOP"? Overhere all new E-classes have it since the introduction of the E-class Wagon in april '03.

Originally posted by Oslo
...Here is a link to a German board discussing this (as a Belgian, you read German, right?...
Originally I am Dutch-speaking (as the half of Belgium), but I speak English, French (as the other half of Belgium) and German too (as a rather small part of Belgium does).
Old 01-13-2004, 11:54 PM

Re: Re: Patrick - follow up SBC SoftStop

Originally posted by patrick
Does your car have "SBC HOLD" and "SBC STOP"? Overhere all new E-classes have it since the introduction of the E-class Wagon in april '03.
Well, I'm actually "over here" as well . The W211 has both SBC HOLD and SBC STOP, but SBC SOFT is not my car.

I found this information that can explain this. The last sentence says "But it is not shipping yet, as of September 2003!

The so-called Soft-Stop function of the SBC software ensures particularly gentle and smooth stopping which provides significant comfort benefits particularly around town when you need to slow down frequently for traffic lights. All this is made possible by the higher-precision pressure control thanks to mechatronics. But it is not shipping yet, as of September 2003.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Hi Oslo...
No answers to your questios about this soft stop feature but hope to see it in my e500 to be delivered sometime in march or april.... I did however find the brakes in the test vehicle I drove back in nov to be quite nice and did'nt seem to notice any problems....
B.T.W... I noticed that your car has the active headlight feature (which my car will also have) and was wondering if you like this feature and is it worth having... Thanks for you reply.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
B.T.W... I noticed that your car has the active headlight feature (which my car will also have) and was wondering if you like this feature and is it worth having... Thanks for you reply.
Yes, I rate the Active Headlights as one of the top-5-options I have. Works very well. I remember driving a Citroen ID19 Pallas back in the mid-seventies that also had this feature, although Mercedes has improved it a lot.

Quote:
The active cornering headlamp system features headlamps which follow the driver’s steering movements and swivel in the corresponding direction almost instantaneously as the vehicle enters the curve. Illumination of the traffic lane is improved by up to 90 percent as a result: whereas conventional dipped head-lamps are able to provide illumination for a distance of some 30 meters when entering a curve with a radius of 190 meters, the new headlamp extends this range by another 25 meters. As the light distribution is matched to the steering angle, the driver is able to see the course of the curve at an early stage and can adapt his or her driving style accordingly.

In developing this innovative technology, Mercedes-Benz deliberately chose an active system rather than a static light which could be operated when cornering because the former also enhances safety significantly on country roads and in extended curves.

The active cornering headlamp system constantly matches itself to the speed of the car: whereas the headlamps follow the steering-wheel angle almost instantaneously during high-speed driving, the swiveling mechanism operates at a correspondingly slower speed when the car is proceeding at a more modest rate in order to ensure that the driver can relate to the way the beam pattern changes.

The active cornering headlamp system is based on the bi-xenon headlamps used in the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and operates in both dipped and main-beam mode. The microcomputer which controls the system is integrated in the saloon’s electronic data network and is continuously supplied with real-time information from the steering-angle and speed sensors. Each bi-xenon module is equipped with its own electronics unit and an electric motor which swivels the lamp horizontally.
Dynamic headlamp range adjustment - a standard feature of Mercedes-Benz models equipped with bi-xenon headlamps - also works with the new cornering headlamp system in order to prevent oncoming drivers from being dazzled. Controlled by sensors, this system detects all the movements of the vehicle body and adjusts the headlamp settings accordingly.

Last edited by Oslo; 01-14-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:22 PM

do the '04's have soft stop at all times? my '03 activates it only at very hard stops.