E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Windows & Moonroof opened themselves in rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550, E350, CL550
Windows & Moonroof opened themselves in rain

I have several Mercedes and especially love the E Class. But we have a 2007 E350 that was just serviced that for no reason at all, while turned off and no key in it, lowered all 4 windows and opened the moon roof when it started to rain tonight! I've read that BMW's had this problem in the late 90's and that is was the driver door lock actuator. Has anyone heard of this or have a solution. This car is in PERFECT condition and has never given us a single problem. That this happened right after it being in service only a day ago..makes me wonder.
Thank you for your consideration and feedback. Help! Has anyone heard of this before??
Old 02-01-2015, 12:24 AM

06 e500 4matic wagon
The car has a summer opening function that has been known to stop working fairly often. Was the work on the car involving the driver side door handle? There is a small black plastic square in the driver side door handle that is the IR receiver for the summer opening function. I would take your key to about 3 feet from that square and hold the small end of the key towards it. Hold the unlock button down and see if all windows lower. If they do, hold the lock button down and see if they close. If the function isn't there or is flaky that may be your problem. Perhaps water got in there when it rained. If it works ok it might be something else. The recirc button on the heater controls has the ability to close all windows and sunroof but only if the car is running. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I think that's the summer opening feature. I think there's an IR sensor on the door handle. There's some other threads about how it goes bad after a while and how to repair it. Maybe it's shorted in the rain and thinks you want to open all windows/sunroof to cool the car off.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Did windows/roof open partially or completely, maybe key button was somehow pressed accidentally. Odd, summer feature is IR dependent, I suggest having shop revisit to check with MB DAS.

Last edited by konigstiger; 02-01-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few toys & 07' E350 4matic w/AMG sport packg.
Originally Posted by rcbarron
I have several Mercedes and especially love the E Class. But we have a 2007 E350 that was just serviced that for no reason at all, while turned off and no key in it, lowered all 4 windows and opened the moon roof when it started to rain tonight! I've read that BMW's had this problem in the late 90's and that is was the driver door lock actuator. Has anyone heard of this or have a solution. This car is in PERFECT condition and has never given us a single problem. That this happened right after it being in service only a day ago..makes me wonder.
Thank you for your consideration and feedback. Help! Has anyone heard of this before??
Do you have an air compressor at home? Clear out the four (I believe) roof drains in the sunroof, one on each corner. Could be a water problem screwing with the electronics...my car has been plagued with that since new.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:48 AM

E550, E350, CL550
Sincere Thanks!

I sincerely appreciate the feedback to my post. They look to pinpoint the problem. The Key IR has been having problems (by not recognizing the key) during unlock and pulling the handle open. So i'm willing to bet the issues you've all brought up pinpoint it.

Thank you!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 AM

E550, E350, CL550
Yes they only opened partially all of them

To Kognistiger: Yes, all the windows and the moonroof only opened partially. Thank you.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 757 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Forgive me, but I laughed out loud when I read your post! And I felt very, very bad about it.

About a decade ago, I drove my Miata to Hamilton Pool, Texas, left the top and windows down, and went swimming (the pool is about 3/4 mile away from the parking lot). A summer thunderstorm hit and I knew there was nothing I could do about my car so I just hung out at the swimming area with friends and family. When I got back to my Miata, the seats and floorboard were filled with water and water literally poured over the door jambs when I opened the door. Thank God the beautiful little car started and got me home safely.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hami...A&ved=0CDcQsAQ

Your post reminded me of that day. Hope it works out for you.