E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Air Suspension problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:35 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update... Got my car back. They said the new air spring was bad. No extended damage inside the fender. My service advisor offered me to let him test drive for one day before I picked up the car. But I decide I will try myself. One thing I figured out is the problem happens after I have passengers in the back seats. So I will do that kind of test this weekend. Basically the service advisor mentioned if the problem happens again, probably there is some serious problem in the system.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Almost a Member!

E500
Angry

Update on my situation. I got my car back on last thrusday. The rear shocks were changed. The suspension did not drop for a day. Then on the Sat. when I picked my car up in the morning. I suspension was all bottomed out again. And the squeeks on the back is even worst now. Back to square one. Going to bring the car back dealer again tomorrow. Anyone actually have a permanent fix for their car?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:55 PM

2003 E500
sounds more like a electrical issue to me than a mechanical one. Keep us updated on what the fix is.

-Geoff
Old 02-11-2004, 03:08 PM

E500
Hi,

Your airmatic suspension probably are leaking. Not on airmatic itself, but the circus was leaking. Or it could be electronic failure. Bring it bakc to service again and let them check for ya.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Almost a Member!

E500
Angry

Update, I finally got my car back once more time. They have changed the rear shocks, once again. I somehow have the bad feeling that it will drop again. But we'll see. However, the most outragous thing openned yesterday when I opened my trunk, where i noticed that they have not finished assembling my trunk? Can you believe this? The two covers on the side of the are just hanging there. Screws are missing and parts of the cover is missing? THis is the worst service I ever had. Beware have MB Mahattan everybody. And they are suppost to be the Head dealer in USA. How pathetic.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Sorry to hear about all of your problems with the air suspension. I had intended to order an '04 with the sport package and air suspension but our dealer made us a good offer on a fairly plain '03 E320 that my wife & I test drove. I am now glad that we didn't order the car with all the goodies. The conventional suspension hasn't caused us any problems and seems to be as stiff as we like while providing a comfortable ride.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Almost a Member!

E500
Finally update (hopefully). After sending my E500 to the shop three times with the same problem, they seem to finally figured out what the problem was. I was told that the airmatic suspension is primarily composed of 2 parts. The first part is a regular hydraulic shock, and the second is an air ballast. Apparently, in my case the rear air ballasts were leaking air. I was told that the when the air ballast are not working properly the regular hydraulic shocks will not be able to handle the amount of stress exerted on them causing them to break and leak hydraulic fluids. (My car had new shocks installed 3 times and every one of them had hydraulic fluids links within 3 days of regular driving. The chief technician at the dealer told me that the front suspensions were designed to allow small drops (Small being the key word) during cold weather. However, the rear suspension should not drop at all! So if your rear end is dropping when parked overnight, don't let your service advisor tell you it's normal. IT'S NOT! You suspension is damaged, and continue driving will only cause more damange.

Lesson of the day? Always talk to the chief technician they know everything about the car, especially the common problems we are having. Service advisors know nothing; the only thing they tell you is that everything is normal.

Well my car is going to be staying in the shop for one more day just to test out if it sinks overnight. Hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with this issue, or any. Figures crossed.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Good to hear that.

In my case, car is doing so far so good now. If my car drops again, I will definitely bring up what you told us and let the dealer figure it out.

Thanks,

Lenny
Old 02-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Almost a Member!

mb e500 e2 e3 keyless
suspension

fault cide was "visit dealer"
the shocks were cracked along with struts due to cold weather?
this is NOT a 60 k car