E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I'm Thinking About Purchasing An Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Will have to make this decision in a couple of months. Since it appears the electronics are not covered, it is probably not worth the month. However, if the warranty is transferrable, any ideas how much more the car would be worth if the car is sold with several years left on the warranty vs. no warranty? Would this effectly subsidize the cost? Just wondering.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
The warranty is transferrable if selling to a private party. Trade-in to a dealer and it's worthless.

Extended warranty adds value, no doubt. But as to how much would depend on your mileage, condition of vehicle, service records and other factors like your geographic location, etc.

Keep in mind that it costs $35K+ to drop a new W210 E55 engine (parts and labor) into a car. Even a computer that is acting up costs a couple grand. I plan to keep my AMG for years.....peace of mind and all
Old 01-26-2004, 03:22 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by abhansali
Yes, I have the refund agreement in writing, contact Mark Newton (MarcusBenz) at marcus_benz@hotmail.com. Keep in mind that I did buy the car from him, so I don't know if they will do the same deal for you, but I don't see why not. Mark will give you the name of the finance guy, it was a Paul something, but I don't remember the last name.
Thanks abhansali for your contact info.

FYI for everyone else

I just checked with the Extended Warranty Mgr for my dealership and he indicated that it is Mercedes practice to refund the cost of extended warranty if it is not exercised at the end of the warranty (7yrs 100K Miles)
Old 01-26-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I do not believe it is true that it is MB policy. I called 4-5 dealers locally to me here in Texas about the warranty and all quoted me $2380 and no refund option. They said there is no such thing as a refund from MB and with HOI the refund policy is a separate document they give you on their letterhead.

I was told by the finance mgr, that this is their way of trying to get you back to the dealership when you are ready for a new car...the idea being that if you are coming back for the refund, you are getting a new car and now they know that and can make you a deal on a new one from them...makes sense if you consider the costs of customer retention.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:22 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
That's interesting...

I will follow up with my dealership and see what they have to say on this...

Will keep you folks posted
Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I was at my dealer today right before my one-year anniversary getting my car checked before certain items are no longer covered by the warranty (alignment, tires, wheel balance, other stuff).

I went ahead and bought the 3-year extended warranty. It is the Mercedes-Benz USA Extended Limited Warranty, so it's the official one that extends the original 4-year warranty that comes with the car. I paid $l,760 for it, and there was no tax on it. Lisa had quoted me $1,790, so my best price was from the dealer where I bought my car, which is Mercedes Benz of Long Beach. I don't know if there was any concession because of my low mileage, but I had brought it up to them. I only have 4,738 miles on my car, which is normal for me. So they are probably getting a really good deal for me to buy the warranty at all. At the end of 7 years, I will probably have less than 35,000 miles on the car!

Anyway, I hope that helps. I talked to Keane in the Finance Department there.

I'm still confused about the coverage. I was specifically confused about the electronics, but they assured me that all of that is covered. The 3 SAM units (they say) are covered. But I sure couldn't prove that by what I read the coverage to be. Guess I'll find out for sure in a few years.

Last edited by rickyfanmdr; 01-27-2004 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:50 PM

2003 C320, Black
if u have a 2nd car bought from a private party but it only has 1-2 yr left of warranty could u get the extended warranty???

does this only work with MB brand or any other car brand can get the extended warranty???
Old 01-28-2004, 05:40 AM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON

Last edited by jbmaxx; 01-28-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:09 PM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
Like everything else its negotiable, I got mine for $1700 7/100K. This is the first time I purchased an extended warranty, I normally don't by them, but I plan to keep the car for a long time. So far so good car has been excellent!!
Old 01-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally posted by rickyfanmdr
I was at my dealer today right before my one-year anniversary getting my car checked before certain items are no longer covered by the warranty (alignment, tires, wheel balance, other stuff).
For the benefit of other members, can you elaborate on the inspections you had done? Also, were they initiated by you, or suggested by your dealer?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:42 PM

where did you buy the warrenty? is it from mb? can i have the contact info? let me know. thank you
Old 01-28-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
For the benefit of other members, can you elaborate on the inspections you had done? Also, were they initiated by you, or suggested by your dealer?
This is my first time in to get any repairs, so I had a short list of odds and ends. I had read the warranty about a week ago, and I started making notes of the points I wanted to cover. Plus over the last year, I made a file and just threw in copies of posts about problems people had and reviewed that before my appointment with the service rep.

One of the items noted in the warranty is that there is coverage for alignment, tires, and balance for one year only, so I asked the dealer to just check all of that plus anything else that was going out of warranty. They checked those items and said they were all fine.

My windshield wipers were noisey. They checked them and replaced them.

I had a broken cargo net hook and they replaced it. Actually they added an entire new and upgraded set of hooks. Those original hooks were an embarrassment!

I took in a printout of a flash repair for "lack of power under full acceleration" and "hesitation caused by 2-footed drivers". They ran a diagnostic test on my car and also did a test drive and found no problem.

They did a flash update to set air conditioning coding as low as possible to reduce musty odor and dew retention when the A/C system is shut off.

Some of you complained recently about static on the radio, and I have experienced it a few times so had them check it. What they did was run a diagnostic (Normal) and then compared it with another E320's radio (car same year and close mileage) to determine that the static is because of distance from the station and not because of my radio itself.

I had unusual wear on my emergency brake foot pedal, and they replaced it. They said it was the first one they have seen like that. It was worn as badly after 4,700 miles as my last Mercedes after 100,000. Anyway, you might want to look at yours.

They showed me how to replace the batteries in the smart key (not a current problem, but I sure don't want to make a special trip for it!). They said they last anywhere from 4 months to 4 years.

I wanted to do an oil change/lube, but they convinced me I would be wasting my money. With only 4,700 miles on my car in a year, they suggested I come in for an oil change at 18 months (cost will be $128).

So my one year check up and everything they did was free. Plus I took my car in around noon yesterday, and they needed to keep it overnight, so they gave my a free loaner car.

Thanks to everyone that posted their experiences over the last year! I felt like I made some educated requests of things for them to check out, got some stuff fixed, and got a reasonably good deal on my extended warranty, all because of your participation here. I hope my comments are helpful for someone too.

Last edited by rickyfanmdr; 01-28-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally posted by rickyfanmdr
[BI So my one year check up and everything they did was free. [/B]
Thanks. This is a great heads-up for those coming up on their one year anniversary. Wheel alignment, tires, wheel balance, and wipers are not cheap services for the w211. These one year so called free services have already been factored into the price of your car when purchased. Take advantage. At the very least you will have something documented that they were inspected. If something should develop shortly thereafter without this inspection, it's out of pocket. However, with an inspection it may very well be considered for a goodwill warranty.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:21 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by abhansali
I do not believe it is true that it is MB policy. I called 4-5 dealers locally to me here in Texas about the warranty and all quoted me $2380 and no refund option. They said there is no such thing as a refund from MB and with HOI the refund policy is a separate document they give you on their letterhead.

I was told by the finance mgr, that this is their way of trying to get you back to the dealership when you are ready for a new car...the idea being that if you are coming back for the refund, you are getting a new car and now they know that and can make you a deal on a new one from them...makes sense if you consider the costs of customer retention.
Hi there

Like others here on this forum, I finally done it. Got myself an extended warranty. (I haven't never done it before for all my other cars)

Abhansali is absolutely right here. MBUSA does NOT offer a refund for the extended warranty that is not used. If any dealers offer it, please get it in writing and read the fine print. This agreement is between the dealer and YOU (no MBUSA)

MBUSA does offer a prorated refund if you trade the vehicle before the warranty expires.

Finally, pls remember to negotiate to get the better deals for the warranty.

Thanks to all for your help