E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Both side markers out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 e350, 2013 C250, 2004 C320, 2003 C320, 1998 CLK 320
Both side markers out

Had a problem with my side markers yesterday and was able to fix it today. I searched the forums but didn't find anything similar to my problem so I'm posting it here for others. These forums have saved me huge amounts of time and money so I'm happy to give back a little.

Started the car yesterday and got messages for both (left/right) side markers out. I was immediately suspicious as what would the odds be for both bulbs to burn out... so I suspected a wiring issue. I turned lights off and then back on watching the left side marker. It came on when I switched the lights on but after a second or two it flickered and went out. I had spare bulbs so I went about replacing them to see if that would help. I started on the right side and when I pulled the bulb out I noticed the connector was full of water. I blew the water out, sprayed with contact cleaner, changed gasket and replaced. I went ahead and changed left side as well (it was dry). Lights then functioned as they should. I believe that the problem was water in the right marker and it was shorting out which then caused the left marker to go out. Neither bulb looked to be burned out. I'm pretty sure I could have just blown the water out and put the bulb back and all would have been fine.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Mine did the same thing when I got it and I had to do the same thing to fix it.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
Come to CA, where we have no water to damage car's electrical parts, or even water your yard;(